Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 06:56 PM

37,165 posts, read 19,174,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
He confessed to an affair? After confessing to 22 financial crimes in hopes of a reduced sentence?

Yeah. They need to turn that screw, hard. A man who cheats on his wife can't be trusted. Look at Trump for proof.

"Tore him a new one"...? Not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 07:03 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
He confessed to an affair? After confessing to 22 financial crimes in hopes of a reduced sentence?

Yeah. They need to turn that screw, hard. A man who cheats on his wife can't be trusted. Look at Trump for proof.

"Tore him a new one"...? Not so much.
The defense attorney was moving in to install the colostomy bag when the judge called recess for the day.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:12 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
More fallout from the Manafort trial--
https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2...irginia-766042

I don't see how she could expect to keep her job after admitting she knowingly falsified tax documents--
Expect if she is a CPA she will lose her license
Hope Manafort paid her something under the table to get her to do that

And her firm is pretty sanctimonious
You know with tax filings as complicated as Manafort's there were multiple number rats working on that account--
She is just the one who signed off on the return
Yep, I knew she was history Friday after that earlier testimony.

The thing is, her firm KWC likely is going to have some tough times ahead as well. Its possible they could fold. Credibility is the name of the game for them which they've now lost big-time.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:59 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
I heard the judge yelled at the Mueller lawyer, :"Look at me when you're talking!" and the lawyer had tears in his eyes. Probably had flashbacks to his Daddy yelling at him.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:02 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I heard the judge yelled at the Mueller lawyer, :"Look at me when you're talking!" and the lawyer had tears in his eyes. Probably had flashbacks to his Daddy yelling at him.
But he will not be the one sleeping in a cell.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:04 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
The most troubling aspect of this trial is that it never would have happened had Manafort not known Trump. It's a political trial. Makes me wonder how many other elites have done the same or worse fudging their taxes and will never be punished. Two-tier justice.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:10 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
The most troubling aspect of this trial is that it never would have happened had Manafort not known Trump. It's a political trial. Makes me wonder how many other elites have done the same or worse fudging their taxes and will never be punished. Two-tier justice.
It's troubling that a treacherous criminal is reaping what he has sown and being brought to justice? Really?

Old 08-07-2018, 08:11 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
One of the more troubling aspects of this case is that a man who commits bank fraud and tax fraud on this scale would likely never have been prosecuted if he had not been caught up in a counterespionage investigation.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:16 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
I don't get your point.

Do you think folks should be able to avoid millions in taxes while the lower wage working stiffs have to pay out of their paychecks..and honest citizens pay their fair share?

No, people don't regularly get away with this...unless you are Trump's clan (maybe)...so being a Trump friend probably gave him more courage because, after all, in those circles everyone does it.

I just wonder if you are posting this because you want someone to be excused from very serious crimes? If so, just say it.

But this country has long been after this foreign tax-cheat money. Perhaps you don't read the news???

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...anks/79399262/

https://www.justice.gov/tax/offshore...nce-initiative

They even offered amnesty! Manafort could have come clean....
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertw.../#57b006f5796c

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...losure-program

But - sorry - your post is Fake News. Major efforts at tax compliance, including getting lists from many major banks, have been ongoing.

Manafort came under scrutiny because he poked his head up...so, yes, he probably could have cheated and laid low and gotten away with it longer. But - again - are you saying that tax cheating is a good thing and it's bad to catch criminals and pay down our debts with the taxes due?

Old 08-07-2018, 08:18 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
So much for a mistrial for the defense. The judge seemed to be part of the defense team at one point arguing against the prosecutions claim that Manafort knew everything, how could he know everything since he didn't know Gates was stealing from him. That is very unusual, imagine if he helped make the case for the prosecution. Its really inappropriate but doesn't matter he is going to be convicted but good luck with an appeal for this judge being unfair.

Blame Manafort for being so arrogant that he put himself in the spotlight with his obvious background and being flat broke in the middle of Russian intervention, did he think he would fly under the radar with his connections to the Russian party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies