Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 04:13 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times

Advertisements

Interesting major story on George Soros, everything from his early years to the present. Unlike the Koch brothers, who pour in millions to ensure their own profits, Soros has poured in his money - here and abroad - to try and ensure democracy. (Of course, also unlike Trump, who doesn't pour money into anything except directly into his own projects and coffers.)

By the way, I think we can take it for granted that the impulse of Trump supporters will be to insert mocking one-liners, while close-mindedly refusing to actually read the article - so let's dispense with that.

George Soros Bet Big on Liberal Democracy
By Michael Steinberger

It is an embattled cause these days. Under Vladimir Putin, Russia has reverted to autocracy, and Poland and Hungary are moving in the same direction. With the rise of Donald Trump in the United States, where Soros is a major donor to Democratic candidates and progressive groups, and the growing strength of right-wing populist parties in Western Europe, Soros’s vision of liberal democracy is under threat in its longtime strongholds...

Soros became a major political donor in the United States during George W. Bush’s presidency. Angered by what he saw as an effort by the Bush administration to use the war on terror to stoke fear and stifle dissent, he began donating vast sums to Democratic candidates and progressive causes. He helped fund the Center for American Progress, a liberal think tank, as well as MoveOn.org, and spent more than $20 million backing John Kerry’s unsuccessful bid to deny Bush a second term. In addition to being a generous donor, he was an outspoken one.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/17/m...n-society.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 04:34 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Interesting major story on George Soros, everything from his early years to the present. Unlike the Koch brothers, who pour in millions to ensure their own profits, Soros has poured in his money - here and abroad - to try and ensure democracy. (Of course, also unlike Trump, who doesn't pour money into anything except directly into his own projects and coffers.)
I got such a good laugh out of that, I almost repped you... ALMOST....

You obviously have no clue how Soros trashes cultures/industries, buys stock in those cultures/industries at low prices, and reaps the investment benefits as they recover.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:36 PM

23,626 posts, read 12,553,459 times
Lol @ the propaganda. Lefties always seem to have a knack for putting questionable people on pedestals. Even his own birth country had smartened up and are trying to rid him from their country.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:37 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
I feel bad for the OP.

George Soros Invested $3 Million in New York Times Stock Holdings This Year

/thread

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 08-05-2018 at 05:08 PM..

Old 08-05-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I got such a good laugh out of that, I almost repped you... ALMOST....
You obviously have no clue how Soros trashes cultures/industries, buys stock in those cultures/industries at low prices, and reaps the investment benefits as they recover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Lol @ the propaganda. Lefties always seem to have a knack for putting questionable people on pedestals. Even his own birth country had smartened up and are trying to rid him from their country.
Yes, as I said, I'm expecting right-wingers to mock, but to refuse to actually read, so just give it a rest.

And, hey, Berdee - everyone in life is questionable. I know of no saints in real life.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:40 PM

Hey OP - just so you understand that I am not making this up - you can read how Soros bought coal stocks after Obama was destroying their value for six years.

Billionaire George Soros warms up to coal as stock prices hit bottom

Knowledge is power.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Yes, as I said, I'm expecting right-wingers to mock, but to refuse to actually read, so just give it a rest.
You need to understand history.

I don't know how old you are or what you know - but you can't ignore history.

And you have to follow the money - on both sides of the aisle.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:46 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,547,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drob4jc View Post
i got such a good laugh out of that, i almost repped you... Almost....

You obviously have no clue how soros trashes cultures/industries, buys stock in those cultures/industries at low prices, and reaps the investment benefits as they recover.

+1

Old 08-05-2018, 04:47 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:

And, hey, Berdee - everyone in life is questionable. I know of no saints in real life.
Two logical fallacies.

• Your first point is ad hominem
  • Second is a anecdotal
This isn't exactly much of a defense of the NY Time's glowing approval of George Soros, who is one of their biggest investors. Sounds as if you don't believe it either.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
How wonderful!

Despite Trump's efforts to undermine the public's faith in the news, the NYT is, of course, arguably the best in the country, so it's wonderful to have Soros supporting it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies