Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 03:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,731,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I did Postmates between jobs for a little while. If you don't have a strategy and aren't in LA or SF you might only get one delivery an hour (or less). The minimum pay out for a delivery is $4. If you are smart you can figure out how to make more than that but anyone with a below average IQ in a slow market with few tippers will regularly make less than minimum wage. They were sued over it last year and settled out of court (Singer vs Postmates), but continue the same policies. My understanding of Doordash is that it is worse because they keep tips.
Ok thanks. I didn't truly know. I guess people are cheap or maybe should cash tip employees like that. I can't use them since I'm in the middle of nowhere and not lazy like that. Maybe if I had a regular lunch schedule too but I don't.

That said I think many don't realize that you should do multiple of these and be beholden to one to make it actually work, if you use it as a "gig." Hey, maybe I'm thinking too much about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 03:25 PM

324 posts, read 268,805 times
So wait... I can go on you tube and cry and complain and idiots would donate to my go fund me????? Damn....

I drive a school hus, since I have to deal with my now not quite right DH thanks to the stroke I have to be home every day. I am looking for steadier gigs but this was paying 8 hours at 14.85 for the school year... now keep in mind you don't always have 5 days of school a week..... so you have to budget, save up for summer/breaks/short weeks...... now it's summer time I'm on unemployment at 262 wk.... so let's do the math:

335 RV LOT RENT
55. Electric
125 total vehicle ins
20. Bank fees
150. Phone bill 2 phone 2 tablets
300 Motorcycle payment
100. CC
20. Storage unit

Now keep in mind there are 3 other vehicles here ALL PAID FOR
1998 jeep cherokee
1995 chevy g20 van
1998 honda vtx 1800

I own the rather OLD camper that I've modified to have a pantry, chest freezer and storage. I shop sales/markdowns and stock up. I've been hungry before and I learned my lesson QUICK!

I do presently donate plasma for the 70 week for 3 weeks a month, sometimes all 4 weeks if the bonuses are worth it....

I've only touched the CC 3X, $200 all summer long. ..

So what exactly is she DOING WRONG????? It's a case of poor me, bad decisions and can't give ANYTHING up long enough to get ahead!

Old 08-01-2018, 06:36 PM

30,133 posts, read 23,520,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
She's probably going to be fired for posting the disparaging info online about her employer. Then she'll whine because she's broke with zero income and no company is going to hire her now that she has a history of disparaging employers. An company that hires her risks that she does a PR campaign against them or risks that she hauls them into the ongoing PR campaign against Amazon.

Most mid to large companies have a Code of Conduct and other such rules which the employees sign when onboarding. Companies usually have rules against employees disparaging them in the media and usually the remedy is termination of employment.
This was exactly my very first thought when I was watching her videos. In the one that the OP linked, she was filming right on their lot and talking trash about them, calling it a "sh***y job", etc. I was sitting there thinking, "You better hope this doesn't go viral."

She already made terrible choices with her money, now she's making another terrible choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Not the government.
Not Amazon.

Her.
All her.

She took the job. If she doesn't have the skills to make more than minimum wage, that's on her too.
Yep. It is all on her as far as the money goes. Not having skills is not always someone's fault...the median IQ is 100, which means we do have people who are not smart enough to do higher paying jobs, and while some may try, if you're dumb, you're just dumb.

Regardless, it's not the company's fault that she didn't save her money, because she had plenty of it left over after paying her really low bills and eating just fine. I already did the math, but I want to know who the hell cannot survive on $1100/month AFTER bills are paid (not including food) and not be able to save anything at all?

In one video, she showed that she was $1900 something late on her rent (for the lot in an RV park where she lived - monthly rent for that is $475 and about $45 for propane...not a huge amount of money for freakin' rent), and all I could think was, "How the hell can you NOT afford to pay for the rent even IF you were on Workman's Comp? HOW?"

That is what prompted me to start doing the math.

She is overspending somewhere, and that is no one's fault but her own. We can't blame every thing on a company.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:52 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,276,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I can't believe so many people support Amazon. It's worse than WalMart.
Exactly. It's always seemed strange to me that Walmart gets such a bad rap, especially from the left, while Amazon seems to go scot-free.

I have never spent a dime at Amazon, and never will. IMO it is actually worse than Walmart, and has contributed greatly to a downward spiral of working conditions in the US.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:46 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,372,841 times
Why doesn't she do what Christ Farley's sketch character did and live in a van down by the river?

Old 08-02-2018, 01:39 AM

15,435 posts, read 10,362,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Why doesn't she do what Christ Farley's sketch character did and live in a van down by the river?
That was a great sketch, lol.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:05 AM

26,896 posts, read 13,116,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Actually, there are a couple of "unacceptable faces of capitalism" that generally pop up:

1) WalMart
2.) McDonald's
3.) Disney
4.) Amazon
5.) Facebook
6.) Google
7.) Bank of America
8.) Goldman Sachs
9.) Pfizer
10.) Microsoft
11.) Comcast

Sadly they are all American.

You could also add Uber and others.

In the UK Sports Direct is an example.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:06 AM

26,896 posts, read 13,116,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't disagree but the problem is it is hard to avoid these places with the pauper wages like we see today. We are taught to stretch every dollar and squeeze every penny, not by being cheap but rather out of survival. Just yesterday I saw a 20 oz bottle of Coke Zero Sugar a week ago in a Fry's Marketplace it cost $1.79, just yesterday I find it in the same Fry's for $1.99 out of the blue. I didn't get it.
Lidl and Aldi treat their staff quite well, and there are other examples.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:50 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,050,110 times
Don't do business with any of them.
Run 'em out of business
Then their employees....ex-employees....can all sleep in their cars in the parking lots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies