Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 08:30 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
If people want a cashless society they'd better be prepared for exactly this. My debit and credit cards all say SEE ID on the back of them instead of my signature. It irritates me to no end that store employees ignore it.
Here is the flipside, with more places offering the pinpads, they actually don't ask. It is really only places like Disney Parks or even Disney Store that I see that, even if it is those portable pinpads...

Old 08-01-2018, 08:32 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,218,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I can’t believe the level of pettiness being demonstrated narrated here. Jesus Christ.
What next, Tan Suits and complaining about what kind of mustard he prefers?

Old 08-01-2018, 08:34 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I was unaware of this, thanks.

Btw, if this is standard procedure, why wouldn't you go to the store manager to report your card refusal? Why report them to card services?
It's not true. In fact, in some cases, CC/DC companies require an ID match for purchases such as in the situation I related: tourist destination locales which have a lot of non-resident visitors/vacationers.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:37 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
It is not a basic requirement to purchase groceries, though.

This thing called cash still exists.
Yes and few people use cash to purchase groceries or purchase their groceries on line. Forty three million use food stamps and if there was an ID requirement for those cards it would cut down on much of the FS fraud.
Most people are able to comprehend that such general statements are not intended to mean no one uses cash and everyone always must show a picture ID when buying anything at the grocery store. Come on people.

The point, no matter who is making it, is that the average person going about their average life will need a photo ID to do business, even at times buying groceries. And we still have a group of people with their knickers in a wad over states voting (a privileged not a right) ID requirements claiming people don't have, cant get and don't need a photo ID.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:37 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,904,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Trump didn't say it was a "basic requirement."

Yep, and when I use cash, which a minority of people do anymore, I don't have to show a photo ID unless I am buying regulated/restricted items. FYI, cash is only used to pay for 23.1% of grocery sales. Credit/debit card or check payments are used for 69.3% of grocery sales, hence the much increased incidence of having to show one's photo ID.

http://www.nationalgrocers.org/docs/...k.pdf?sfvrsn=0
"Need" implies that it is a prerequisite to purchase groceries.

It is not.

Yes, in certain scenarios when paying with a card or are buying a small set of regulated goods, you may be required to show ID. But to purchase general groceries, that is not a requirement.

For what it's worth, I exclusively use a CC to pay for groceries, and I've never had to show ID.

I've had to show an ID for purchasing items at other stores, but never for groceries.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:38 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Home Depot wouldn't be eating the costs, the credit card company would do that.

Providing ID is NOT a requirement when using a credit card. In fact the merchant agreement's for both Visa and MasterCard prohibit a store from declining a transaction if a person does not have ID. All that is required is the signatures match, or the pin matches.

When I use a CC, I refuse to show ID and if they refuse to complete the purchase without it, I leave everything on the counter and report them to the CC company.
Then I would suggest not going to Disney owned and operated stores, that is their policy. I worked at Disney World and some people had a problem with it, oh well. That was our policy.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:39 AM

It's not a LAW that you have to show ID when making CC purchases, especially with Visa and MasterCard, period.

https://www.privacyrights.org/blog/c...ay-credit-card

Quote:
9.11.2 Cardholder Identification
A merchant must not refuse to complete a MasterCard card transaction solely
because a cardholder who has complied with the conditions for presentment
of a card at the POI [point of interaction] refuses to provide additional identification information, except as specifically permitted or required by the Standards. A merchant may require additional identification from the cardholder if the information is required to complete the transaction, such as for shipping purposes. A merchant in a country or region that supports use of the MasterCard Address Verification Service (AVS) may require the cardholder’s ZIP or postal code to complete a cardholder-activated terminal (CAT) transaction, or the cardholder’s address and ZIP or postal code to complete a mail order, phone order, or e-commerce transaction.
(http://www.mastercard.com/us/wce/PDF...ire_Manual.pdf)

The Rules for Visa Merchants provides:

When should you ask a cardholder for an official government ID? Although Visa rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot
refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID. Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures. Laws in several states also make it illegal
for merchants to write a cardholder’s personal information, such as an address or phone number, on a sales receipt. (http://usa.visa.com/download/merchan..._merchants.pdf,
Rules for Visa Merchants, page 29).

Old 08-01-2018, 08:39 AM

8 posts, read 3,619 times
You idiots made fun of Bush one when he did not know what a scanner was at Wally world. maybe he meant that using a credit card or check many times you do need an ID. But you idiots will try to find any crap. Trump is WINNING and you can not stand it. When Obummer lied about your Dr. fast and furious, or Clinton was using interns as humidors it was all fine. Or when Obummer screwed up and said we have 57 states it was just fine. So go shove your stupid crap. No one really cares the adults are in control now.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:40 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,904,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes and few people use cash to purchase groceries or purchase their groceries on line. Forty three million use food stamps and if there was an ID requirement for those cards it would cut down on much of the FS fraud.
Most people are able to comprehend that such general statements are not intended to mean no one uses cash and everyone always must show a picture ID when buying anything at the grocery store. Come on people.

The point, no matter who is making it, is that the average person going about their average life will need a photo ID to do business, even at times buying groceries. And we still have a group of people with their knickers in a wad over states voting (a privileged not a right) ID requirements claiming people don't have, cant get and don't need a photo ID.
If it is not a basic requirement, then his analogy falls apart immediately.

The implication is "you're required to show ID to purchase groceries", so therefore you should also "be required to show ID when voting".

But, as I've stated, you aren't actually required to show ID to buy groceries.

It's ok to admit that this was simply a bad analogy. It is not Trump's first bad analogy.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portfolio View Post
You idiots made fun of Bush one when he did not know what a scanner was at Wally world. maybe he meant that using a credit card or check many times you do need an ID. But you idiots will try to find any crap. Trump is WINNING and you can not stand it. When Obummer lied about your Dr. fast and furious, or Clinton was using interns as humidors it was all fine. Or when Obummer screwed up and said we have 57 states it was just fine. So go shove your stupid crap. No one really cares the adults are in control now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies