Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 10:45 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I imagine you have been disappointed over the years.
Just for the last 18 months.

Oh, yeah, there was that time when Bush 2 was president (since we already had a taste of Russian whataboutism vis a vis Obama):

1. "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

2. "I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."—Greater Nashua, N.H., Chamber of Commerce, Jan. 27, 2000

3. "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"—Florence, S.C., Jan. 11, 2000

4. "Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across the country."—Poplar Bluff, Mo., Sept. 6, 2004

Of course, the thing about Bush is, he was able to laugh at himself. Unlike the cheeto, who won't even admit he made a mistake about anything and gets himself into a foot-stomping, tweety temper tantrum at the mere suggestion that he's wrong about something.

Seems like his followers are, like, monkey see, monkey do. Only thing about that is it's just mindless imitation, like the monkey.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:46 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
If a person buys beer or wine from a grocery store you are carded. Trump was correct, again. #MAGA #KAG
Wrong again.

Though I don't count beer and wine as groceries, though apparently some do (guess it depends on your regular diet), I buy both at our grocery store without ever being carded.

Have for years.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:47 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Alcohol and cigarettes are not “groceries”. Trump referred to groceries. Few people have access to commissaries.

I go to groceries stores like Sprouts, Safeway or Fry’s (Kroger) to buy things like milk, bread, fruits, vegetables and meat and I do not get carded when I use my debit card.

Trump ran his mouth without thinking, again. He was exaggerating (and lying) as usual. He does that a lot.

I don’t know why people even pay attention to him. They should just ignore him.
I shop at local Safeways. Also pay with Visa. I'm never carded. Sometimes I get beer with my groceries. Never carded.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:49 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I find that it's usually people who don't get around much that think one doesn't have to show an ID when purchasing things via check or credit/debit card. Like I said, I live in a tourist destination area. We have a lot of non-resident visitors/vacationers, many times the number of locals. The stores, including grocery stores, ask for a photo ID when one buys things with a check or credit/debit card. It's quite common, and everyone knows to expect it.
Clearly it is location specific.

I am never asked for ID when I use my debit or credit cards to buy groceries.

Never.

Now that I think about it, I wasn't asked for ID when I bought spray paint at Walmart/Lowes'/Home Depot or picked up prescriptions at Walgreen's.

Heck, some places even give me the senior discount without looking at my ID or even asking my age.

The only place I routinely show ID is when picking up prescriptions at Kaiser Permanente.

That's it.

Don't have to show it to vote because all of our ballots are mail-in.
I've no issue with showing ID to vote, if one has to do it in person, but if someone doesn't already have a driver's license or other state ID, it should be free to get a picture ID to vote.
And if the president and his supporters were actually serious about this, they would make that a thing.

But they are more interested in throwing up roadblocks to prevent some people from voting, so...

Old 08-01-2018, 10:50 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I have. 8.4% of groceries are bought via paying with a check.

http://www.nationalgrocers.org/docs/...k.pdf?sfvrsn=0
A lot has changed since 2013. My local grocery store has signs saying they do not accept checks that went up in the last year or two - right around the time signs promoting Apple Pay and related products. Part of the benefit of those products is that you don't need to bring your wallet - just your phone. Great for when I'm out at walks and need to stop for a drink or to pick up groceries around the corner.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:52 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
If people want a cashless society they'd better be prepared for exactly this. My debit and credit cards all say SEE ID on the back of them instead of my signature. It irritates me to no end that store employees ignore it.
As do mine.

And with very rare exception, on those rare occasions when I have to hand them my card, the store employees do ignore it.

They've never not run the transaction though.
So, just goes to show, we really don't need ID to shop then, do we?

Old 08-01-2018, 10:52 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Just for the last 18 months.

Oh, yeah, there was that time when Bush 2 was president (since we already had a taste of Russian whataboutism vis a vis Obama):

1. "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

2. "I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."—Greater Nashua, N.H., Chamber of Commerce, Jan. 27, 2000

3. "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"—Florence, S.C., Jan. 11, 2000

4. "Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across the country."—Poplar Bluff, Mo., Sept. 6, 2004

Of course, the thing about Bush is, he was able to laugh at himself. Unlike the cheeto, who won't even admit he made a mistake about anything and gets himself into a foot-stomping, tweety temper tantrum at the mere suggestion that he's wrong about something.

Seems like his followers are, like, monkey see, monkey do. Only thing about that is it's just mindless imitation, like the monkey.
Yeah, those are the only two presidents or government officials/politicians that have made stupid or non precise and specific comments.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:55 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Clearly it is location specific.

I am never asked for ID when I use my debit or credit cards to buy groceries.

Never.

Now that I think about it, I wasn't asked for ID when I bought spray paint at Walmart/Lowes'/Home Depot or picked up prescriptions at Walgreen's.

Heck, some places even give me the senior discount without looking at my ID or even asking my age.

The only place I routinely show ID is when picking up prescriptions at Kaiser Permanente.

That's it.

Don't have to show it to vote because all of our ballots are mail-in.
I've no issue with showing ID to vote, if one has to do it in person, but if someone doesn't already have a driver's license or other state ID, it should be free to get a picture ID to vote.
And if the president and his supporters were actually serious about this, they would make that a thing.

But they are more interested in throwing up roadblocks to prevent some people from voting, so...
Bc he's lying just like his idol. Anyone who's ever used a self-checkout kiosks knows he's full of it. Those machines are coded to require IDs for certain purchases. You will never find a store that has a food item coded for ID bc that policy doesn't exist anywhere.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:56 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
I can't remember the last time I was carded at a grocery store. So once again Trump has shown himself to be a liar. The only people I see get carded are young people who buy alcohol or cigarettes. The Liar-in-Chief strikes again.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:00 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Have you ever used a self-checkout station and been carded when you weren't buying alcohol or tobacco?
If I'm using a "store rewards" card, no. They already have that info via the application. If I'm using a CC at a self-checkout at which I haven't scanned my "rewards card" or at which I don't have one, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies