Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 09:37 AM

68,325 posts, read 54,330,205 times

Advertisements

Trump Administration says driving would be riskier if cars got better fuel mileage. I swear I checked and it IS NOT April 1st!

https://www.apnews.com/07c8fd1825ed42e08393f7d151a0664d

Guess it was a looooooooooong reach to find a 'reason' to undo yet another of Obama's doings. Poor Captain Queeg really does have Obama living in his head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 09:59 AM

45,522 posts, read 27,133,570 times
It's true that smaller cars are riskier with regards to safety of its occupants than larger cars. I probably would not have mentioned the fuel mileage angle - but whatever. There are worse things to get up in arms about...

Old 08-01-2018, 10:01 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,079,507 times
More of the same. Moron in Chief.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:04 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,107,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's true that smaller cars are riskier with regards to safety of its occupants than larger cars. I probably would not have mentioned the fuel mileage angle - but whatever. There are worse things to get up in arms about...
So focus on the other 85% of nonsense that comes out of his mouth? There's only so long you can keep dismissing the stream of BS flowing from that ignorant blowhard.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:06 AM

68,325 posts, read 54,330,205 times
Quote:

It's also true that smaller, lighter cars not only get better fuel mileage but are more maneuverable, stop in shorter distances and have a better chance of avoiding an accident. I know there are still people out there who believe in 'road-hugging' weight. IF that were true I'd sure like to know why race car designers got to great lengths and expense to pare every gram they can?

Old 08-01-2018, 10:09 AM

20,853 posts, read 9,507,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It's also true that smaller, lighter cars not only get better fuel mileage but are more maneuverable, stop in shorter distances and have a better chance of avoiding an accident. I know there are still people out there who believe in 'road-hugging' weight. IF that were true I'd sure like to know why race car designers got to great lengths and expense to pare every gram they can?
Darn, you beat me to it. One of the most irksome memes that gets passed around the past few decades is the notion that big cars are safer. Well, yeah if you do get in a wreck, they probably are. But because a smaller car is more maneuverable, has a shorter braking distance, etc., you're probably less likely to get in a wreck in the first place.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:38 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,950,677 times
Quote:
It's true that smaller cars are riskier with regards to safety of its occupants than larger cars.
Perhaps we could spare a thought to those not occupying the vehicle as well?

Anyway, if this administrations has fewer passenger-miles in cars as a goal - and a laudable goal that is - then I suggest raising gas taxes, improving public transit and mandating safer roads for alternates such as bicycles. No?

Old 08-01-2018, 10:51 AM

45,522 posts, read 27,133,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Maybe because by decreasing weight, they can go faster... you know, so they can win more races... ?? Just speculation on my part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Darn, you beat me to it. One of the most irksome memes that gets passed around the past few decades is the notion that big cars are safer. Well, yeah if you do get in a wreck, they probably are. But because a smaller car is more maneuverable, has a shorter braking distance, etc., you're probably less likely to get in a wreck in the first place.
Thank you for admitting that. That's why I specifically mentioned the safety of its occupants.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:18 AM

46,260 posts, read 27,064,278 times
Funny....
Attached Thumbnails
A Real Stable Genius-wisconsin-couple-were-treated-minor-injuries  

Old 08-01-2018, 11:36 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,271,127 times
I'd hate to know what it would be like to follow the mainstream media so much that I hear everything the president says every day. I already spend too much time on city-data as it is to be following what Trump just ate for breakfast or where he went golfing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies