Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 08:19 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,387,447 times

Advertisements

It has been interesting reading responses, some say offering prayer is hollow and disingenuous but that is just your opinion because you can't know the sincerity or not behind those offering a prayer. There is a fact that no matter who or what you are or where you are from we ALL need emotional support sometimes and those that offer prayer are giving their form of support.

If you don't believe in prayer it's alright, but a "thank you' and moving on seems more of the high road and civility than getting in their face touting how they are stupid to believe in or offer prayer.

A football teams is more motivated by pep rally, when I play a gig I'm am more motivated by a chanting crowd, offering prayer is just another form of saying "we feel ya". Actually personally it is deeper because I believe in prayer but still...

But there is the fact that if someone offers "best wishes" many don't go off on a tantrum, while some do when someone offers prayer which can only mean some of them have a chip on their shoulder against those that offer support in religious overtone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 08:21 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
No one upset over this cares to address the fact that the bible specifically forbids this kind of "prayer"?
The bible also forbids wearing clothing woven of two kinds of material, planting a field with two kinds of seeds, lying, tattoos, trimming your beard....shall I go on?

Old 08-02-2018, 08:28 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
In this particular example its a wildfire. Not much most people can do physically to help. I'm not sure why you assume a person praying isn't also doing something. Perhaps they do donate money or they donate to their church who in turn makes donations of money and or supplies or even actually sends volunteers if needed.
So if they have to advertise to the cyberworld what 'good little girls (it usually is) they are, why don't they mention what they're doing to actually help?
Do they feel like it would be bragging? Uh...so is publicly "sending prayers", just a different kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And for the record most religious people who offer pray do believe prayer helps. You may not but if they truly believe it whats the harm. At least they believe they are helping.

I have a couple of friends that do tell me they're praying for me..... and know what I think about it.... and I know what they think about it and know they mean it. But it also is personal, private and usually comes with a hug or something.Actually, they say "And you know I'm praying for you" with a little smile.

What on earth is the point when it's for someone you don't know, will never know, who almost guaranteed will never see it except to show online people how caring you are ? Does it have to be advertised?
It's really rather egotistical and part of what makes it annoying.

Last edited by old_cold; 08-02-2018 at 08:38 AM..

Old 08-02-2018, 08:30 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,585,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It's the intolerance of the professed and self-proclaimed tolerant.

Give them the middle finger and move on.
Why when praying for them works so much better at bugging them?

Old 08-02-2018, 08:31 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,831,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The bible also forbids wearing clothing woven of two kinds of material, planting a field with two kinds of seeds, lying, tattoos, trimming your beard....shall I go on?
Sure if you want, but they dont pay attention to that stuff because it is OT.
The prayer quote is straight from JC himself, I think they would have a difficult time excluding it from the cannon.

I don't really care either way cause I don't buy any of it, just pointing out that this behavior is not even internally consistent with the dictates of their own religion.

They are complaining about other people complaining about it, when Jesus himself complains about the exact same type of "pharisee" behavior. So that means they are complaining about Jesus's words on the issue as well.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:15 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,441,195 times
What many here are saying is that they'd rather you just opened your wallet or stay out of their business since they have no use for you other wise.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:17 AM

25,702 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Why when praying for them works so much better at bugging them?
A good point.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:18 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
What many here are saying is that they'd rather you just opened your wallet or stay out of their business since they have no use for you other wise.
Terrible interpretation

Old 08-02-2018, 09:19 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,831,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Right so: ignore what Jesus actually says on the issue, keep doing the thing he expressly said not to, and those other people are the ones with the problem.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:20 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'm not "upset" over this, I just think it's stupid for a so called atheist to attack someone who says "God bless this (whatever)" or anything similar.

As for the Bible...I don't follow the Bible. I'm agnostic. But whenever someone attacks Christians, I think of my mom. She's very much a believer, and the nasty things that some so called atheists say to Christians, (not any other religious group, of course, just the Christians), makes me feel protective simply because I don't want my mom to be on the receiving end of something like that.

I would assume you are correct, however, because what I do remember from the times I was forced to go to church as a kid was that we weren't to boast about our religion, or act like we were better. And we weren't supposed to tell everyone any good deed that we did, because it was between us and God. Frankly, I think that's the way it should be, but I'm certainly not going to attack someone in a comments section or on social media for saying "You're in my prayers" or "God was watching out for you that day", or whatever. It doesn't even matter. Who cares if they say it, who cares if they mean it, who cares if they are doing it for "likes". Who. Cares.

I know that people who say things like, 'I wish I could help but....." are full of it. But I don't go around and attack people for saying it. I know they're full of sheets, and that's all that matters. Talk about absolute bs. It's saying, "I want to come across as caring, but I don't really give a flying rat's behind enough to do anything about it." What would me barking at them in comments change? Nothing. So who cares if they say it.
I think it's a pet peeve for some people and rather than roll their eyes and scroll past, they cannot resist speaking out.

I just scroll on past because I know it's a load of crap for most people who post it, but for some, they do mean it even it and for some it does make them feel better to see a bunch of people typing it out, so why squash their joy?

I usually throw a heart emoji on posts or "thinking about you all" or "love you all (if I know them better)" myself because I'm agnostic and not going to be praying, but I DO actually keep people in my thoughts when I read that they are going through troubling times.

Eh, it's honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies