U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 06:47 AM

22,544 posts, read 10,398,557 times

Advertisements

It is what "Gender, and Minority Studies", and "Art History" majors have done to American higher education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 06:53 AM

30,419 posts, read 17,233,365 times
You can't be serious. Are you? If so, this is testament to the failure of public education.

Learn some history. Let me give you a quick lesson: The several states joined together in a legal contract, the Constitution, which formed the Federal Government, delegating to that Government certain specified powers, and retaining all other powers to themselves.

That is also why each state votes independently for President and Vice President.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 08-03-2018 at 07:22 AM..

Old 08-03-2018, 06:55 AM

30,419 posts, read 17,233,365 times
Gee, do you have to guess? You mean you don't know? Obviously, you're not a history scholar.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:30 AM

979 posts, read 384,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I no longer believe in the Constitution’s fugitive slave clause...is that bad?
And there's a good reason for that. The men who wrote the Constitution were smart enough to realize that they didn't get everything exactly perfect for all time. They provided a mechanism by which the Constitution can be amended. This has happened, not frequently, but it has happened. One of these amendments is the Thirteenth Amendment. This amendment, passed in the aftermath of our Civil War, made slavery illegal, hence the fugitive slave clause no longer applicable.

Now, if you want to ignore any other language in the Constitution because you don't think the fugitive slave clause is legitimate, well please point to the amendment that renders that clause null and void like I did with the fugitive slave clause.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:35 AM

979 posts, read 384,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Nothing in the Constitution gets removed.
It only gets Amended.
Alcohol Prohibition is still there in all it's tyrannical glory...(only time the Constitution has ever taken Liberty)
Nope. Alcohol prohibition was implemented in the only constitutionally valid way, by amendment, the 18th Amendment to be specific. It was repealed in the same manner, specifically by the 21st Amendment. The 18th Amendment is no longer legally valid because of the repeal via the 21st.

Sorry, never mind. I just reread your post and I get what your point was. I misunderstood initially.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:31 AM

5,638 posts, read 1,511,283 times
I feel like people are piling on OP and I did question him/her initially. But if someone truly doesn't know then they learn by asking. If people are going to denigrate when someone does ask then they won't likely put themselves into the ring again later with other questions. Learning is a good thing and that starts by asking questions, and it never matters how old you are.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:44 AM

17,750 posts, read 16,015,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Really? Then why are Republicans trying to restrict California from regulating their own automobile emissions standards? When Republicans are in office they love federal laws. Republicans are literally opposing states rights here.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/aut...ndards-n896846
You cited this example before. Don't you have any others to prove a trend? That is besides the fact that the Federal law enforces more liberal standards . And as I said before why don't people in California actually care about pollution with their own actions. They want a magic fix and refuse to take public transportation or buy fuel efficient cars.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:56 AM

16,669 posts, read 9,477,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Why we also have different laws in different states and was for License Plates, why not have license plates called "United States Of America"?
Are you sure you aren't
1. Russian
2. Educated in America in the last 10 years?

results appear to be the same.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:01 AM

16,669 posts, read 9,477,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Really? Then why are Republicans trying to restrict California from regulating their own automobile emissions standards? When Republicans are in office they love federal laws. Republicans are literally opposing states rights here.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/aut...ndards-n896846
Because emissions standards are inextricably linked to interstate commerce and Interstate Commerce is a constitutionally enumerated federal power.

Article I, Section 8, Clause 3:
[The Congress shall have Power] To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

Old 08-03-2018, 04:43 PM

22,926 posts, read 15,340,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Why we also have different laws in different states and was for License Plates, why not have license plates called "United States Of America"?
Because "united" doesn't mean "unified".

The United States of America is not one single state. But it is one single nation of different states. All of them petitioned to join the union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or