Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 05:24 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
It is - back in the olden days, they actually used to teach Government & US History classes.

The ones who think the popular vote is important sure seem to have missed it.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:35 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Why we also have different laws in different states and was for License Plates, why not have license plates called "United States Of America"?
Because there are federal laws, state laws, and local laws.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:23 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,092,454 times
Hmm, how about the tenth amendment to the U.S Constitution. That would be a start.

Old 02-03-2022, 07:50 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The licensing of vehicles, in accordance with the 10th amendment, is a power belonging to the individual states. Here’s a fun fact, if a state decided to stop licensing their cars (or issuing birth certificates) they could and there is nothing the federal government or other states can do about it other than dangle money or take it away as long as they do the same thing to every one of their citizens.

Besides, I love all the different license plates, it’s fun to see the states’ personalties on those things.
And I guess that the plates can be ice breakers or conversation starters.
Sorry to bump an old thread but a few years ago my wife and I flew into Dulles Airport in Washington at the start of a go where the road takes us tour of D.C. and Virginia.
The rental I picked up at the airport carried Missouri plates and a few days later we found ourselves in Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond VA the resting place of many Confederate soldiers.
I got out of the car and was looking at some gravestones when a woman said to me, “Y’all from the Show Me State too? Y’all got some kin buried here?”
I said, “While I’d be proud to be from Missouri ma’am, I’m on vacation from London, England, and if any of my ancestors are buried in these United States, they probably died trying to keep America belonging to England in the 1770s or fighting Americans in 1812 to stop the U.S. from staking a claim to Canada.”
She said, “Oh gee, I’m sorry sir”, I said, “No reason to apologise, it all worked out okay in the end, your guys got their independence, and we got a beautiful country to visit.”

Old 02-03-2022, 07:58 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Why we also have different laws in different states and was for License Plates, why not have license plates called "United States Of America"?
We are states.. not just one country. We are sectioned into States rights because each state is different, has different industries and fossil wealth . We are fortunate not to be ruled completely by the Federal Government.

Dems like big Federal Government to run over states rights. Republicans like states to have more power than the fed over their states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies