Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 05:56 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,107 times

Advertisements

I have Canadian friends who pay about $150 a month for health insurance. All routine procedures and prescriptions are covered. Big ticket procedures are also covered but take much longer to schedule. They seem to be pretty happy with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 05:57 AM

7,812 posts, read 6,389,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
You would have to look up individual studies and see if they have any specifics to how taxes would be affected and how that might affect your individual circumstances. We already know you pay through automatic deductions when you receive your paycheck plus anything additional that might get allocated from income tax collections. How these amounts would get affected I haven’t checked. I do know that the primary source of savings is no longer having money deducted from your check if you’re enrolled in healthcare, no longer paying copayment or deductibles on said plans, and a reduction in the cost of prescription medications. For the average family of four who carry the average range of insurance this would save them 12,000 dollars before factoring changes to taxes.
People fell for the ‘you will save 2500’ nonsense, they’re not going to fall for this again.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:59 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
So there would actually be a tax decrease by insuring everyone? Sounds implausible.
I think it means there would be a decrease in tax+insurance premiums.

I believe the initiative needs to come from the business community, which will persuade GOP to pass universal healthcare. If it comes from the Dems, the GOP will fight it tooth and nail to prevent it from passing, and if it passes, they will fight tooth and nail to force it to fail, like they are doing with ACA.

I agree with the other poster who said it is surprising the business community is not pushing for it, because it would save them a lot of money. Business savings is the conservative argument for universal HC system.

The article in question was designed to discredit universal health care but it accidentally concluded it would save "only 4%" in total health care spending.

https://www.thenation.com/article/th...r-saves-money/

Quote:
On page 18 of the paper, in a section titled “Effects on National Health Expenditures and the Federal Budget,” came mention that under the Sanders plan “national personal health care costs decrease by less than 2 percent, while total health expenditures decrease by only 4 percent, even after assuming substantial administrative cost savings.”

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 08-02-2018 at 06:09 AM..

Old 08-02-2018, 06:01 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Oh, how embarrassing, you make a claim about a study and do NOT include the study.
City-data has a policy about links leading to outside sites. You have all the necessary information to find it yourself in about 20 seconds

Old 08-02-2018, 06:04 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
People fell for the ‘you will save 2500’ nonsense, they’re not going to fall for this again.
Well, it’s pretty simple by calculating how much you pay now with insurance to see how much you would no longer be paying if you no longer needed it. Please do not compare Obamacare to Singlepayer. You’re comparing apples to cucumbers.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:09 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
City-data has a policy about links leading to outside sites. You have all the necessary information to find it yourself in about 20 seconds
NO, if you have the link you can post it.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:11 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I have Canadian friends who pay about $150 a month for health insurance. All routine procedures and prescriptions are covered. Big ticket procedures are also covered but take much longer to schedule. They seem to be pretty happy with it.
I retired last year and we spent a few weeks in Canada , PEI ....what an amazing place but yes .The People I talked to up there all seemed very happy with their coverage.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:12 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
NO, if you have the link you can post it.
The link was already posted on this thread. If you are too lazy to read it, then don't read it.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:29 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Helpful links:

https://www.mercatus.org/system/file...paper-v1_1.pdf

https://thinkprogress.org/mercatis-m...-0a8681353316/

Old 08-02-2018, 06:31 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,250,687 times
And....again.....who pays for it? Quality of care??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I don't understand why American corporations aren't loudly backing universal health care.

It would save them money, making them more competitive with other goods made in other developed nations where financial responsibility is on the people/government rather than corporations.

Insurance companies would be basically out of business. Oh, they'd still be providing supplemental insurance, but that's not nearly as lucrative.

It was a good run while it lasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies