Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 10:11 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times

Advertisements

Ever hear a conservative say stuff like "if the media just went back to being honest, unbiased, and objective, then they wouldn't be enemies of America." People who say this are simply stupid.

Newsflash for you folks: there has never been such thing as "unbiased media." It is a product of humans, and it has ALWAYS been biased in some ways. This is why you're supposed to look at multiple sources from different angles. This is why you're supposed to use your brains and critically interpret information around you, not just get spoon fed on autopilot.

And none of you "unbiased news" conservatives had the slightest problem with the obvious right-wing slant of Fox News and all the conspiracy theories about Obama's birth certificate, etc.. was that your idea of "honest media?"

Here's the difference, though: much as he didn't like Fox News and Infowars, Obama didn't call them the Enemy of America. A President going down this path and a bunch of idiots believing him is the precursor to government censorship action, at which point we will only hear the version of the story that someone like Donald Trump approves. Then you can really kiss your freedom goodbye.

In practice, when a conservative says "objective, unbiased media", what he / she is really saying is "it must speak well of Donald Trump." And when they say "Fake News," they're really saying "Donald should be above criticism." It's as simple as that.

And it's gotten to the point where a body of tens of thousands of the most skilled professionals, many with military backgrounds, who have access to the most sophisticated intelligence equipment on the planet - military satellites, deep cyber-monitoring, etc. - get ridiculed out of hand by conservatives in favor of whatever Donald Trump tells them. That is well beyond a pathetic level of brainwashing.

You cannot be a supporter of this kind of Donald-centric thinking and of the Constitutional principles underpinning the freedoms we've historically enjoyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 10:23 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,438,260 times
FOX is the gaslighting mainstream media network that is profitting off of a 72 year man who for all appearances has a severely diminished mental capacity.
Shame on them all for the exploitation of the elderly.

I m totally serious.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:14 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Ever hear a conservative say stuff like "if the media just went back to being honest, unbiased, and objective, then they wouldn't be enemies of America." People who say this are simply stupid.

Newsflash for you folks: there has never been such thing as "unbiased media." It is a product of humans, and it has ALWAYS been biased in some ways. This is why you're supposed to look at multiple sources from different angles. This is why you're supposed to use your brains and critically interpret information around you, not just get spoon fed on autopilot.

And none of you "unbiased news" conservatives had the slightest problem with the obvious right-wing slant of Fox News and all the conspiracy theories about Obama's birth certificate, etc.. was that your idea of "honest media?"

Here's the difference, though: much as he didn't like Fox News and Infowars, Obama didn't call them the Enemy of America. A President going down this path and a bunch of idiots believing him is the precursor to government censorship action, at which point we will only hear the version of the story that someone like Donald Trump approves. Then you can really kiss your freedom goodbye.

In practice, when a conservative says "objective, unbiased media", what he / she is really saying is "it must speak well of Donald Trump." And when they say "Fake News," they're really saying "Donald should be above criticism." It's as simple as that.

And it's gotten to the point where a body of tens of thousands of the most skilled professionals, many with military backgrounds, who have access to the most sophisticated intelligence equipment on the planet - military satellites, deep cyber-monitoring, etc. - get ridiculed out of hand by conservatives in favor of whatever Donald Trump tells them. That is well beyond a pathetic level of brainwashing.

You cannot be a supporter of this kind of Donald-centric thinking and of the Constitutional principles underpinning the freedoms we've historically enjoyed.
Among the worst developments is the fact that the fact-checkers, whose job it is to watchdog all media, are now branded as fake by so many people. Just yesterday, someone told me they looked something up on Snopes, and believed Snopes "this time" because the fact they wanted checked was "not political."

Old 08-03-2018, 05:46 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
So, we're back to this again? Fox News' "right wing slant?" Fox News is behind the "birth certificate 'conspiracy'?"

Ever watch Sheppard Smith? Hardly "right-wing." Smith isn't even near the center. He despises Trump, and yet he occupies a most highly desirable time slot. And there are others at Fox as well. Juan Williams and Jessica Tarlov regularly spar with their conservative counterparts.

Sean Hannity says that a lot of his colleagues at Fox disagree with him. And Judge Napolitano swings both ways.

On the other hand, I can't think of one conservative on either CNN or MSNBC.

As for the "birth certificate" debate; it didn't begin on Fox. It was everywhere. But the discussion is now moot, because Obama himself has put the argument to rest. "I come as the first American President from Kenya," he told his Kenyan countrymen recently in a speech. His brother and grandmother have always maintained he was born in Kenya, and his brother produced a copy recently of his Kenyan birth certificate. Case closed.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:48 AM

Get some help. "Trump Derangement Syndrome" is real.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:22 AM

23,989 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
So, we're back to this again? Fox News' "right wing slant?" Fox News is behind the "birth certificate 'conspiracy'?"

Ever watch Sheppard Smith? Hardly "right-wing." Smith isn't even near the center. He despises Trump, and yet he occupies a most highly desirable time slot. And there are others at Fox as well. Juan Williams and Jessica Tarlov regularly spar with their conservative counterparts.

Sean Hannity says that a lot of his colleagues at Fox disagree with him. And Judge Napolitano swings both ways.

On the other hand, I can't think of one conservative on either CNN or MSNBC.

As for the "birth certificate" debate; it didn't begin on Fox. It was everywhere. But the discussion is now moot, because Obama himself has put the argument to rest. "I come as the first American President from Kenya," he told his Kenyan countrymen recently in a speech. His brother and grandmother have always maintained he was born in Kenya, and his brother produced a copy recently of his Kenyan birth certificate. Case closed.
Hugh Hewitt and Nicole Wallace.

As far as the birth certificate goes. Obama's daddy was a philandering drunk who abandoned Obama and his mom.. IIRC, the dad already had another family in Kenya. And had another when he left Obama.

Many Trump supporters admit that he sometimes mis speaks. Can you give that same privilege to others? I heard what you guys say was his admission. IMO, he was speaking and thinking ahead at the same time.
He was saying he was the first person of Kenyan descent.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
He was saying he was the first person of Kenyan descent.
That's quite a stretch. I actually listened to his speech. He was quite clear. There was no ambiguity.
His words were, "Three years ago, I visited Kenya as the first sitting American President to come from Kenya."

Old 08-03-2018, 06:59 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
The media is so biased and Left leaning it is ridiculous. This has been going on for years.

I used to listen to NPR during the work week and it got to be too much for my conservative leaning mind. I still listen to it on the weekends for the entertaining shows but they still get in their jabs at Trump.

The mass media under reports or flat out ignores the positive coming from the WH and they hype and highlight the negative to the point of propaganda and to play to their base.

They did the opposite when it came to Obama but with Bush it was open season for bashing.

It would be refreshing if the mass media could report in a unbiased way and let the viewer make up their own minds about a topic but that will never happen because today the reporters are pushing an agenda.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:00 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,653 times
Quote:

. But the discussion is now moot, because Obama himself has put the argument to rest.
Yet another case of the Encino Man Syndrome. Did Pauly Shore and Sean Austin just unthaw you in a garage, too?
What the above quote shows me is the complete ineptness of the right ... and especially President Trump. I am still waiting for the proof of a fake birth certificate the Donald promised. The right will accept no culpability. It is as if they just 'came to' and realized the left has destroyed the world. Are you telling me the right could not prevent the left from all the carnage they created? Yeah, I am gonna hitch my wagon to that incompitance. Sad.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:25 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times
Quote:
That's quite a stretch. I actually listened to his speech. He was quite clear. There was no ambiguity.
His words were, "Three years ago, I visited Kenya as the first sitting American President to come from Kenya."
So you believe Obama's U.S. birth certificate is a fake? Then how come Trump's team of investigators that he claims were in Hawaii looking into Obama's supposed phony birth certificate ("they couldn't believe what they're finding") came up with absolutely nothing. Nada. Zippo. Zero. Was Trump lying? If he wasn't then why doesn't he show what his investigators found that they "couldn't believe"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies