Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should average automaker fleet mpg be raised to 50+ mpg by 2025, even if it causes car prices to sky
Yes 45 46.39%
No 52 53.61%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 09:35 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,116,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
You have to start somewhere, right now batteries can power cars... in the future we replace the electrical infrastructure with sustainable/renewable energy.
I don't disagree. I just don't want the government mandating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 09:35 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Contracts don't require a State. Arbitrators can settle disputes.
I’m not asking you about contracts. I’m asking you whether corporate entities (a Government-created fictional entity) should exist. Stop deflecting.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:36 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
I don't disagree. I just don't want the government mandating it.
I do or it won't get done.

Sometimes mandates (especially @ large scale) are the only way to go.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I’m not asking you about contracts. I’m asking you whether corporate entities (a Government-created fictional entity) should exist. Stop deflecting.
It's not deflecting. Corporations are State creations, and as such, wouldn't exist in anarchy.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Contracts don't require a State. Arbitrators can settle disputes.
Also, this is idiotic. Arbitrators are Judges with slightly different discovery and procedural rules. They are an agreed-upon neutral tribunal designed to adjudicate disputes. Functionally, there is little difference deference between arbitrators and Judges.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:

Mandates are always done at the barrel of a gun.

The market is a much better way of doing things.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Also, this is idiotic. Arbitrators are Judges with slightly different discovery and procedural rules. They are an agreed-upon neutral tribunal designed to adjudicate disputes. Functionally, there is little difference deference between arbitrators and Judges.
Actually, your point is idiotic, as Judges are appointed by the State, and arbitrators are private contractors with paying clients.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
It's not deflecting. Corporations are State creations, and as such, wouldn't exist in anarchy.
Your “anarchy” sounds like it already existed in the 1500s before the East India Company existed. Sounds like a crappy time to live. No innovation, extremely limited entrepreneurship, etc. have you checked out Outer Mongolia to let us know how great stateless life is? Or are you just ranting about the greatness of anarcho-capitalism from the comforts of your own socially-created environment, complete with plumbing, the internet, electricity, etc...?

Old 08-02-2018, 09:45 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:

Right because we will all be left sitting at home with unusable cars in the driveway
Forgetting immorality of it all for a moment, when the govt puts our money behind a technology, it crowds out all others, some of which may even be better.
As oil becomes scarce the price of gasoline will naturally rise and if left alone innovators will be at work with replacements at the ready.
Mandates are never the way to go and I dont want politicians making choices for me

Old 08-02-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Actually, your point is idiotic, as Judges are appointed by the State, and arbitrators are private contractors with paying clients.
What’s the difference between choosing judges (indirectly, through a democratic government) or selecting arbitrators through alternative dispute resultion procedures? They are functionally the same. This is literally one of the worst arguments for anarcho-capitalism out there.

Last edited by TEPLimey; 08-02-2018 at 09:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies