Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should average automaker fleet mpg be raised to 50+ mpg by 2025, even if it causes car prices to sky
Yes 45 46.39%
No 52 53.61%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 04:29 PM

20,719 posts, read 19,363,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Republicans want to remove California's ability to set their own emissions standards. ]
Which differs from Obama none at all. Again California is free to take many other measures which they refuse to implement.

Quote:
They are vomitously hypocritical. This has zero to do with public transportation. The problem is California is a very populous state.
Right as if Trump's main platform is state's rights. I agree with states rights. However I tend to agree with Federal rights when they are more liberal in policy than state rights. There are consumers and private businesses involved.

But nothing to do with it huh? Why can't people in California take this issue seriously instead of making the rest of the nation build cars suited to their needs?

Billions spent, but fewer people are using public transportation in Southern California
For almost a decade, transit ridership has declined across Southern California despite enormous and costly efforts by top transportation officials to entice people out of their cars and onto buses and trains.
I use human powered vehicles year around to get to the train in a cold climate. Why can't Californians?

Quote:
They should have the right to set their own emissions standards and 16 other states want to follow those standards. Just love how fast Republicans turned against state's rights once they got control.

Well I am sympathetic to the issue . I agree with state's rights. This is a violation of that basic principle. However as always there is another principle at work which is individual rights. The push back comes form the automakers and Trump is more or less an economic centric president,. However again California is free to take other measures I just described. Why don't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 04:55 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Which differs from Obama none at all. Again California is free to take many other measures which they refuse to implement.

Right as if Trump's main platform is state's rights. I agree with states rights. However I tend to agree with Federal rights when they are more liberal in policy than state rights. There are consumers and private businesses involved.

But nothing to do with it huh? Why can't people in California take this issue seriously instead of making the rest of the nation build cars suited to their needs?

Billions spent, but fewer people are using public transportation in Southern California
For almost a decade, transit ridership has declined across Southern California despite enormous and costly efforts by top transportation officials to entice people out of their cars and onto buses and trains.
I use human powered vehicles year around to get to the train in a cold climate. Why can't Californians?

Well I am sympathetic to the issue . I agree with state's rights. This is a violation of that basic principle. However as always there is another principle at work which is individual rights. The push back comes form the automakers and Trump is more or less an economic centric president,. However again California is free to take other measures I just described. Why don't they?

So in other words, federal rights whenever Republicans want to dominate and control states but besides those things they want to control, the states can do other things -
unless Republicans don't want them to.

Again, vomitously hypocritical. Republicans that say states rights again should be openly mocked and ridiculed. Other states can have the highest emissions they want. They can have the blackest thickest air they want. But now it's 19 states that support California's rules and are joining in a lawsuit against Trump and his worshippers.

This is one of the many reasons this country should break apart and regionalize. Let Republicans live off of coal, black air and dirty water. Let them take away every single regulation and live with the results in red states. They have shown how much they hate the environment and that is fine. But blue states should be able to create their own environmental standards without Republicans actually demanding they increase air pollution.

Take the public transportation debate to another thread, it has zero to do with this thread topic.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:59 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Govt epa standards should be eliminated entirely and politicians shouldn't be dictating engineering to anyone.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:02 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
[quote=Frank DeForrest;52684398]Govt epa standards should be eliminated entirely and politicians shouldn't be dictating engineering to anyone.[/quote

Really. I remember Los Angeles in the pre auto emission standards era. Smog so bad you couldn't see City Hall downtown.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:06 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Government should't be telling auto manufacturers what to do. Rolling back these onerous requirements is nice, but the government should remove itself entirely from meddling in the design and manufacture of cars.
The end game is a peoples car. If you can show need, you'll be allowed a guv issued self driving car to be driven on government roads,to specific pre-approved destinations. Any deviation in route will need permission from central command. Oh but if we plead enough to our congress criminal they might let us choose colors for our guv issued pod mobile.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:10 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
That's nice. It was the same under Obama only that it just happens not to be a standard set by California .California is free to increase fuel taxes to encourage the purchase of fuel efficiencies. Of course California is also free to design a city with decent public transportation as well. However it seems that Californians love to commute for hours in traffic jams all while pretending to be environmentally responsible. They want the rest of the country to support cutting edge technology at high prices to get them out of one of one of their jams.

Some Californians are hypocrites! I use to drive commercial truck to LA once a week from the East Coast. Of course LA has the smog and you can barely breathe. But, beside the smog, they have the fires and that is even worse. But one of their favorite sports is tearing the environment apart with their off-road vehicles. Sometimes the dust from the off-road vehicles is so thick that you might as well be in the smoke and smog. They put on this pretentious act that only they care about the environment and they tear their environment apart! Some of the hills look like checker boards - they will never be the same for hundreds or thousands of years! Then they also have the growing homeless problem that is turning neighborhoods into local dumps!

Last edited by fisheye; 08-02-2018 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: I was corrected!

Old 08-02-2018, 05:10 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,502 times
So, you are a major automotive manufacturer. Do you want to bet on the come that Trump will be re-elected in 2020? Or, do you want to continue development on fuel efficient vehicle requirements that will be reinstated after Trump is gone? I believe that the auto manufacturers will make the right decision.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:23 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
[quote=msgsing;52684418]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Govt epa standards should be eliminated entirely and politicians shouldn't be dictating engineering to anyone.[/quote

Really. I remember Los Angeles in the pre auto emission standards era. Smog so bad you couldn't see City Hall downtown.
Most of that smog was eliminated by the simple requirement of using unleaded gas. Did car prices sky rocket then? No. Will car prices skyrocket with higher MPG requirements? No. This poll is bogus.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:24 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Government should't be telling auto manufacturers what to do. Rolling back these onerous requirements is nice, but the government should remove itself entirely from meddling in the design and manufacture of cars.
+ 10 billion.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:26 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So, we should go back to the days when the greatest 'development' the manufacturers did between model years was to determine how big the tail-fins would be?
Yep!

Quote:
Manufacturers have been crying 'onerous regulations !' ever since there were regulations yet somehow they've managed to meet them and cars are the better for it. Or would folks like a return to the days when you planned a trip to the salvage yard when the car hit 100K?
People still buy Chrysler products, don't they?

Let the market decide; if people want to keep buying UAW junk let them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies