Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2018, 07:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,164,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
He is making it worse for Indians. The effect of his actions will be seen down the line, and not immediately.
I haven't seen any negative impact yet. Nobody at my company has had to leave yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't think you understand the kind of work the typical H-1B does in the United States. If you can remote the whole operation to India, you don't need H-1B workers. In my product development-oriented tech companies, we mostly used H-1B to perform repetitive task QA. The lab costs millions. You're not going to set up a parallel lab in Bangalore. Most H-1B is doing basic IT. Big chunks of that can't be done remotely because you physically have to put your hands on the hardware. You can't resolve "my mouse doesn't work" or "I can't get on the network" remotely from Bangalore.
And yet some companies try to do just that, though their helpdesk operations often aren't in India...they're in the Philippines. They put them in the Philippines because Filipinos work cheaper and speak (WAY) better English. They also have a cutesy accent (I don't think it's deliberate) that Americans seem to like...if they notice it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
I can understand the outrage against H-1B and L-1 visas.
But is this against immigration on the whole?
So many 7-eleven franchise are owned by Foreigners, Indian Green Card holders or Lottery winners !!! So many Motels / chain Hotels are owned by immigrants.

If the push is against immigration, I never heard about people saying anything again 7-eleven / motel ownership in the hands of foreign origin. Are they not displacing Americans from Business opportunities?

Only H-1, L-1 is being picked for criticism !!!
Oh, I'll pick all of it for criticism. The green card lottery needs to end. I don't think India qualifies for it anyway, but Pakistan and Bangladesh probably do.

Quote:
Immigration is not about H-1B visa only. Why have Americans taken so many Indian Doctors / Nurses ? Why so many Motel franchise or 7-eleven stores were given to people from India? Why so many American Universities are organising Educational Fairs and giving on-the-spot admission in Graduate School for MS / MBA in various Indian cities ?

Who is abusing? Corporates or visa holders ?

Everyone. And Americans are the losers.

We shouldn't allow foreign-trained doctors into our residency programs unless we don't have enough medical school graduates to fill those spots. That is currently not the case.

It's getting harder for me to avoid foreign doctors in this area but I still do it. If I have anything to say about it, I'm not seeing an Asian physician. I've seen them in the past and did not enjoy the experience. Asian-American, sure. Asian-born & trained, no.

Quote:
Besides IT, they also have a "Foreign Student at University" industry. Many Foreign students come to USA for MS, MBA, Ph.D. in the hope of getting a job visa after completion of their courses. If H-1B visa is stopped, students will stop coming. Universities are going to have financial losses. Thats why they also lobby in favour of H-1 visas along with big corporations.
I don't care. If a university depends on foreign student tuition to survive, then it can go ahead and shut down. It's basically a diploma mill at that point anyway.

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how many American IT workers voted for Donald Trump in last 2016 Elections ?? I mean was it majority of them ?

I can't speak for anyone else. I did not vote for Donald Trump in 2016, though I agree wholeheartedly with his positions on illegal immigration and curtailing legal immigration.

Quote:
As numbers grow, the community grows in confidence and mindset changes. Just another day, I saw two of my friends on Facebook in front of their new houses. One in Lubbock and another one in Louisiana. One of them is on 3 year OPT after University, not even H-1B.

Earlier people used to wait for Green Cards before buying House. Now as the wait is super long, the attitude has changed. It is also about "Keeping up with the Joneses" attitude. Other people in the community are buying houses, they also will do it. Some people think that why to pay so much Rent if we can have a house on equal mortgage payment !!

Previous generation of Indian immigrants were not flashy. They were content with old Toyota Camry, Grandmothers (6 month alternate shift) making food and taking care of children while being cramped in a Desi apartment society. They used to invest their Dollars in buying property in india but sky-high land rates in India has curtailed such ambitions of present generation Indian Americans. They have started spending in better cars and houses in USA. They are not thinking about returning back-children are USA citizen anyways.
Yup, they plant roots extremely quickly because apparently, renting is seen as shameful. They'll move 20 miles further out from their jobs just to have a new house. They've virtually taken over many suburban housing developments around here, and it shows in school enrollment...many elementary schools in those areas are over 50% Indian now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
H1B is a dual purpose visa which can be used as a pathway to citizenship. Out the hundreds of H1B people I have worked with I never met one who overstayed. They are typically educated people and smart enough to know they could never return if they overstay.
I've seen H1Bs go out of status. None of them have actually left the country, though. I don't know how they fixed their immigration problems (never asked).

Old 10-02-2018, 07:47 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,669,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Oh, I'll pick all of it for criticism. The green card lottery needs to end. I don't think India qualifies for it anyway, but Pakistan and Bangladesh probably do.

Neither Pakistan nor Bangladesh qualify for Green Card Lottery. Countries with historically high immigration numbers are excluded from Green Card Lottery. Bangladesh has been recently removed from the list. India and Pakistan are also not there. If you are looking at that sub-continent then Sri lanka, Maldives, Bhutan, Nepal make the cut for GC Lottery. Although Sri lanka, Nepal have lot of immigrants, they came under Refugee status from UNHCR.

GC Lottery enables immigrants from countries like Norway, Liechtenstein, to Falkland Islands, Angola people to move to United States. It is called Diversity Visa for a reason otherwise Immigration will be thoroughly dedicated on few demographics only like Mexico, India, China who are already in huge numbers. For around 190 countries of the world, GC Lottery is the only way to come to USA. This diaspora enables American doors also in those countries.
Few American people can claim that their job was snatched by GC Lottery winner-they are setting up Businesses rather like Restaurants, convenience stores. 7-eleven is a big supporter of GC Lottery.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:59 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,218,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Are you sure that you want to be a US citizen considering that you hate the president so much that you made up an immature name for him?

You do realize that a backlog exists for a variety of reasons. On an annual basis, we allow in 1 million legal immigrants, many who apply for citizenship. If the processing time has increased, it's all for the better in one way---more thorough screening.
Where did you get that 1 million immigrants allowed? I had read that it had been lowered substantially in the past year. Please clarify.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:05 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,218,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
why? read my prev post on this thread. but you're right. this needs to be addressed because the Indians and Mexicans and now the africans are demanding rights to take our jobs and benefits. WE REALLY NEED TO TAKE BACK OUR COUNTRY from those immigrants who come here expecting EVERYTHING ON A SILVER PLATTER for them and their aging parents who ---guest what? they get SS and have contributed NOTHING.

THIS IS WHY I VOTED FOR TRUMP.
How do the elderly parents get SS? I can’t see how that is possible without ever being employed.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:26 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,164,952 times
Quote:
Neither Pakistan nor Bangladesh qualify for Green Card Lottery. Countries with historically high immigration numbers are excluded from Green Card Lottery. Bangladesh has been recently removed from the list. India and Pakistan are also not there. If you are looking at that sub-continent then Sri lanka, Maldives, Bhutan, Nepal make the cut for GC Lottery. Although Sri lanka, Nepal have lot of immigrants, they came under Refugee status from UNHCR.

GC Lottery enables immigrants from countries like Norway, Liechtenstein, to Falkland Islands, Angola people to move to United States. It is called Diversity Visa for a reason otherwise Immigration will be thoroughly dedicated on few demographics only like Mexico, India, China who are already in huge numbers. For around 190 countries of the world, GC Lottery is the only way to come to USA. This diaspora enables American doors also in those countries.
Few American people can claim that their job was snatched by GC Lottery winner-they are setting up Businesses rather like Restaurants, convenience stores. 7-eleven is a big supporter of GC Lottery.
I know what the stated purpose of the green card lottery is. The vast majority of people receiving a green card this way are from "third world" or developing nations. We don't get many European immigrants these days. (Incidentally, the UK does not qualify for the green card lottery though Ireland does.) If you're from a wealthy European nation with a strong social safety net, low crime, inexpensive tertiary education, universal healthcare, etc. why the hell would you give that up to move HERE?!?!?!

If we really wanted a more diverse set of immigrants we'd impose country caps on H1B visas so that 85%+ of them don't go to either Indian or Chinese nationals. We'd also eliminate chain immigration. Those are the main sources of immigration from those countries these days.

I honestly don't care what 7-Eleven supports and they should not be allowed to dictate American immigration policy.

I don't shop there because the stores are usually filthy and the employees are rude. I take my business to Quik Trip (there are lots of them in Texas) because the stores are usually very clean and the employees (almost always Americans) are polite.

If a business routinely has filthy locations, rude employees, and shady or even illegal business practices, why on earth would I reward that with my custom? I'll spend my money elsewhere. 7-Eleven (and other businesses like it) can fail all the way to the ground.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:06 PM

22,329 posts, read 11,853,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Where did you get that 1 million immigrants allowed? I had read that it had been lowered substantially in the past year. Please clarify.
You could have found this very same link if you took the time to google:

https://www.cnn.com/2013/11/06/us/im...cts/index.html

Old 10-05-2018, 12:49 PM

1,094 posts, read 496,468 times
A good article on how rotten the H-1B visa has become, not just sabotaging jobs and wages for American workers but also horribly abusing the Indian and other foreign workers brought in, who are basically treated like indentured servants and slaves, worked to death, easily abused and even their underpaid earnings often stolen by their body-shop slavemasters in corrupt body-shop companies. It isn't just Tata and Infosys, apparently some of the less known body shops are the worst and the slavemasters include even US tech companies, and such abuses are also apparently happening with the L-1, OPT and other programs where abusive import-worker employers can dangle the carrot of a green card before the desperate workers. We can start to see why US tech companies aren't doing much on the job training or even hiring American workers anymore, they have a ready pool of people basically reduced to slavery and indentured servitude from overseas to abuse

https://qz.com/india/1268241/h-1b-vi...paid-them-800/

Old 10-05-2018, 01:06 PM

77,013 posts, read 47,426,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've seen H1Bs go out of status. None of them have actually left the country, though. I don't know how they fixed their immigration problems (never asked).
Well, once they leave, they can't come back because they overstayed. Indians typically return every year due to family ties, so it would be dumb to overstay.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:19 PM

15,789 posts, read 14,399,805 times
The bottom line is this. If there's a pool of cheap skilled labor, the jobs will find it. Either the labor comes here and the jobs stay here, or the labor stays were it is, and the jobs go there. This is especially true with jobs where there is not merchandise crossing borders to tariff. Given that choice I'd rather have the bodies here and the jobs here than visa versa.

What I would do, is not let the employers treat the foreign workers like indentured servants. I'd actually give them an expedited ability to get a green card and get citizenship (and, yes, I know there will be people who don't like this idea.)

Old 10-05-2018, 03:50 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,232,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The bottom line is this. If there's a pool of cheap skilled labor, the jobs will find it. Either the labor comes here and the jobs stay here, or the labor stays were it is, and the jobs go there. This is especially true with jobs where there is not merchandise crossing borders to tariff. Given that choice I'd rather have the bodies here and the jobs here than visa versa.

What I would do, is not let the employers treat the foreign workers like indentured servants. I'd actually give them an expedited ability to get a green card and get citizenship (and, yes, I know there will be people who don't like this idea.)
That's the part that most people don't want to remember. If people are here on a visa, they're contributing significantly. Both as consumers and taxpayers. They have to pay all the same taxes as everyone else, but are entitled to nothing. No ability to vote, no government services of any kind permitted, no Medicaid, nothing. Just pay. Also buying everything. Setting up homes, purchasing from local stores, boosting the local economy. It's not all bad. Kill the program, and the jobs still need to be done, they'll just do them in India, and send one American there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies