Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 07:18 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,127,212 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about the controversy...

On one hand, I really liked Apu when I USED TO WATCH the Simpsons. Not because he was a stereotype, but just because he seemed to be one of the coolest characters on the show.

On the other hand, if I were to practice what I preach, then I'd have to say that if he does indeed offend someone (a large group of someones), then something should be done I suppose. Since I don't watch the show anymore, I have an easy out, I wouldn't miss him - or any of the characters if the eliminated him.

But after thinking about it a little more, I have this question.

Isn't just about every character on the show a stereotype?
  • Ned Flanders - A bible beater who annoys his neighbor.
  • Miss Crabbapple - A stereotype of a spinster teacher or librarian?
  • Diamond Jim Quimby - A corrupt politician.
  • Nelson Muntz - A low class bully who takes his frustrations about his station in life on everyone else?
  • The Bowling Team: The Stereotypes
    • Luigi Risotto - The Italian pizza maker
    • The Sea Captain - Never have met one, but I am sure he is a parody
    • Cletus Spuckler - A hick
    • Groundskeeper Willie - A very stereotypical Scotsman?
  • Fat Tony and his henchmen - All Italian Mobsters
  • Bleeding Gums Murphy - The Black Jazzman
  • Krusty - Hits almost every Jewish stereotype there is

I could go on. Aren't almost all of the Simpson's characters defined by stereotypical prototypes? What makes Apu special enough to be singled out for protest? Maybe I have not paid close enough attention, but I think it is overblown when you consider the entire show is made up of offensive but likable characters.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-02-2018 at 07:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 07:26 PM

862 posts, read 517,932 times
Of course its a show of stereotypes.

I will never understand how this was a thing. Actually its 2018, and everything is offensive to someone these days. It makes perfect sense.

The real outrage is that arguably the best show in tv history for its first 9 seasons has been kept on life support for 20 plus years of absolute mediocrity. That's the real crime.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:27 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,559,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

On one hand, I really liked Apu when I USED TO WATCH the Simpsons. Not because he was a stereotype, but just because he seemed to be one of the coolest characters on the show.

On the other hand, if I were to practice what I preach, then I'd have to say that if he does indeed offend someone (a large group of someones), then something should be done I suppose. Since I don't watch the show anymore, I have an easy out, I wouldn't miss him - or any of the characters if the eliminated him.

• Nelson Muntz - A low class bully who takes his frustrations about his station in life on everyone else?
    • Groundskeeper Willie - A very stereotypical Scotsman?[/indent]

I could go on. Aren't almost all of the Simpson's characters defined by stereotypical prototypes? What makes Apu special enough to be singled out for protest? Maybe I have not paid close enough attention, but I think it is overblown when you consider the entire show is made up of offensive but likable characters.
I didn't realize there was a controversy, and I haven't watched The Simpsons for years, but now that you mention it, I think that in a way, the show is sort of like South Park Lite - there's something for almost everyone to get mad about, if they are so inclined.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:20 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,911,081 times
Jeez, are people STILL going on about Apu? I haven't watched the Simpsons in ages, but it is what it is - a cartoon show that makes fun of everyone - they don't let anyone off the hook. Some folks need to get a life already.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:29 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,731,377 times
Quote:
Seems like you've had a bit of a revelation - people, including yourself, enjoy stereotypes, and there's not necessarily anything wrong with that. Stereotypes help us make sense of the world, and some of the best comedy and most endearing fictional characters are based on them.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:43 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,386,353 times
Isn't The Simpsons more family-friendly compared to shows like Family Guy and South Park?

Old 08-03-2018, 12:11 AM

3,614 posts, read 1,726,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
Of course its a show of stereotypes.

I will never understand how this was a thing. Actually its 2018, and everything is offensive to someone these days. It makes perfect sense.

The real outrage is that arguably the best show in tv history for its first 9 seasons has been kept on life support for 20 plus years of absolute mediocrity. That's the real crime.
This is an old story by today's standards. What drove me crazy was Hank Azaria basically groveling for forgiveness. This is the same Hank Azaria who has a show on FX who's character, Brockmeier is a drug taking, alcoholic womanizing pro-abortion douchebag. But, since he isn't offending Muslims, Mexicans, or militant blacks it's ok.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:29 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,555,080 times
Quote:
[*]Diamond Jim Quimby - A corrupt politician.
A corrupt Irish-Catholic Kennedy-esque politician.

Quote:
On the other hand, if I were to practice what I preach, then I'd have to say that if he does indeed offend someone (a large group of someones), then something should be done I suppose.
Do we know if this is a large group of someones? Or is this like Native Americans with teams called the Fighting Sioux or Seminoles where the numbers who are offended by it are very small in the population?

Old 08-03-2018, 02:14 AM

4,655 posts, read 4,100,091 times
Quote:

• Groundskeeper Willie - A very stereotypical Scotsman?
Bumble Bee Guy? Nerdy Scientist? Where is Mr. Burns on your list?

An Indian fellow did a piece a few months about talking about how he loves Apu and thinks he is the coolest guy on the show. And he is. PHD. Ladies man. Hard worker. Pithy speaker. Husband and father. Patriot.

In any event, no one has a right not to be offended, so if you find the Simpsons to be too much for you, you should probably just tune out. Find something better to do with your life than crying.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:34 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,731,171 times
look at any cartoon, futurama, family guy, king of the hill, etc. heck look at any mel brooks movie, blazing saddles being the most prominent, even the old cartoons, bugs bunny, daffy duck, scrooged mcduck, mickey mouse, and many other cartoon characters. these characters were all designed first to entertain, and second, in most cases, to end bias and prejudice.

mel brooks made fun of just about everything in life to show how ridiculous some of the things we hold on to really are, like racism for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies