Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is racism a big factor in keep minorities down?
Yes 62 34.83%
No 116 65.17%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 01:21 PM

482 posts, read 242,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Chinese in a big part, had a tradition like a religion about paying respect to their ancestry, thus saving face is very big in their culture, which means are groomed with strong inference not to bring shame upon and unto the family.
I think there is a lot to the whole shame thing with many Asian cultures. One thing I noticed about the Chinese kids as well as other Asian kids that I grew up with was that they didn't seem to get in trouble the way the Hispanic kids did regardless of their economic conditions. Even the ones that were dirt poor still seemed to not get caught up as much into risky behavior with stuff like drugs, Alcohol, unprotected sex etc. Most of these kids not only made it out of the hood, they became pretty successful. It blows me away when I look on Facebook and see how many of the Asian kids that I went to school with that went to college, and I grew up in a bad area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 01:37 PM

482 posts, read 242,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Poverty is an economic condition and not really a culture.

Also Chinese immigrants tend to be from families that are more well off versus many other immigrant groups. The Chinese and Asian Indians have the highest amounts of wealth and education amongst Asian immigrant groups. However, many Chinese Americans actually do suffer from poverty in specific geographic locations. Poverty in the Asian population in certain areas is growing at a faster rate than others today. I remember reading about how in NYC in particular that even with their higher levels of education, they are the most poverty stricken ethnic group in NYC (Asian Americans) which counters the stereotypical view of them.
Nonsense.

Take 20 dirt poor East Asian immigrant families and place them into the same economic conditions as 20 Mexican Immigrants. Follow them for 2 generations, and you will see a trend. The Asian immigrants will have less fatherless children, less drug and alcohol problems, and will be more educated as a whole because of their culture. If you say that it's not culture, than the only explanation is genetics which makes you a racist.

I say this as a Hispanic man that knows Mexican culture quite well.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:43 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
I try to avoid contact with poor people no matter what color they are.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:17 PM

139 posts, read 108,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
lol No I don't and you have no proof. Make something else up.

Translation you do not have an intelligent response

It is funny to me you think when you make things up, others will believe you.

Which institutions are racist?
You’re so far behind the (international, scholarly, dialectical) conversation on racism, its like a 6 year old trying to keep up with the dinner table talk of his parents. So I think a similar response may be appropriate:
‘Dont worry about it, sweetie. These are things you may understand someday.’

Last edited by hellorebecca; 08-08-2018 at 05:38 PM..

Old 08-08-2018, 08:57 PM

628 posts, read 663,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellorebecca View Post
Uh, Have you ever taken an IQ test? It’s so clear to me that they dont truly measure ‘innate’ intelligence. Rather, it's a combination of some innate aptitudes and a WHOLE lot of ‘what you practiced doing in school’.
So as for cultures who put a heavy emphasis on school and tests—well,
it’s really not surprising that scores might be higher.

ALSO. At the risk of being too controversial, why in the world do we not test:
verbal wit
musicality
Resilience
Capacity for empathy

On any scale of intelligence?

Bc if with these ‘intelligence’ tests, if we’re really on some fundamental level trying to capture what makes people successful at being an adult human. . ., then the omission of the above traits mentioned is just crazy.
(But no coincidence, those are things that certain white people tend to struggle with far more than those of us who are more melanated)
Point 1: IQ tests are as close as we can ever get to measuring intelligence and ability. They are also inarguably the closest we can get to correlating success. I don’t know who told you iq tests were not a good barameter for success because everyone in the scientific world understand this.

Point 2: there are races. To deny this in the face of human genome, dna/ancestral testing, evolutionary studies, is willful neglect. Without boring everyone with the science (which we all can do) Allow me an example:
year 1620 England: the first ever submarine has successful mission.
year 1620 Africa: a bunch of naked men hunting animals with Spears.

Face it, we are different. Once you accept this the answers start pouring in.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:11 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,040,143 times
What does the OP mean by minorities? In the US or worldwide? Either way, I don't see any race or gender being held down. Only ones that are being held down are being held down by their own people. Once they break the chains and start believing in themselves and shake off all of the toxic people in their lives, they finally become successful.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:14 PM

830 posts, read 486,756 times
I voted "no" it isn't a big factor, although I think it probably has some effect.

IMO some of the best discussions on this topic are on Glenn Loury's podcast The Glenn Show. Check it out!

Old 08-08-2018, 09:28 PM

139 posts, read 108,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
Point 1: IQ tests are as close as we can ever get to measuring intelligence and ability. They are also inarguably the closest we can get to correlating success. I don’t know who told you iq tests were not a good barameter for success because everyone in the scientific world understand this.

Point 2: there are races. To deny this in the face of human genome, dna/ancestral testing, evolutionary studies, is willful neglect. Without boring everyone with the science (which we all can do) Allow me an example:
year 1620 England: the first ever submarine has successful mission.
year 1620 Africa: a bunch of naked men hunting animals with Spears.

Face it, we are different. Once you accept this the answers start pouring in.
Yep.
We’re different.

First- we’re different in that I know how to spell barometer.

Second- we’re different because from your argument I can only surmise that I also know a fair bit more than you about the complexities of ethnicity, DNA, and race, as well as a great deal more about history, particularly the history of the precolonial African continent.
Oh, and a hell of a lot more about IQ testing.

Now.
Last, I’ll actually throw something out there as food for thought.
if not for you, then perhaps for someone else reading.

The capacity for mechanical innovation, I would argue, is not the ‘most valid’ type of intelligence that we should be measuring.
Leaving aside for a sec my qualms with treating ‘whites’ as a monilithic group—
to paint with a broad brush, certain Western European societies have displayed en masse a stunning lack of capacity for empathy/mentalization.
The capacity for cold-blooded, systemic brutality and subjugation of others seems to correlate somewhat with societies that place an extremely high emphasis on mechanical/material innovation.
Though experiment:
Would I rather be part of a group that claims Auchwitz, or would I rather be part of a group that claims the origin of a disproportionate percentage of the current music that moves the world?
Would I rather be part of a group that spread chattel slavery around the world, or part of a group that has learned a deep spirituality, has learned to survive and even forgive?

At the end of the day, mechanical and technological innovation may end up destroying as much as it created. So in the midst of our journey on this planet, maybe what’s truly most intelligent is what’s most human. Most alive. Most vibrant.
( And of course as caveat— there are millions of successful and crazy intelligent black people as measured by the measures of intelligence that we currently deem ‘IQ’. I don’t for a second believe that there even IS a substantial gap. See my second point above).

And yet - I still also ask-what really matters? Maybe we idealize the wrong things.
‘Intelligence’ as currently measured is a marker of things that lead to power within our current society.
But maybe those in our world- and this isn’t all racial – there’s people in every human society that this applies to—
just maybe, not wanting so much damn power in the first place is a sign of truly ‘more-evolved’ humanity.
Gandhi. The Buddha. The Christ.

(None of who came from freaking western Europe.)

So, I’d say your (laughable caricature) of African people ‘running around in the bush’,
as silly as it might be, at least paints a picture of the moral high ground as compared to the 17th century British empire. That’s for damn sure.

Last edited by hellorebecca; 08-08-2018 at 09:37 PM..

Old 08-09-2018, 01:15 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
You’re so far behind the (international, scholarly, dialectical) conversation on racism, its like a 6 year old trying to keep up with the dinner table talk of his parents.
Your inability to counter anything I've posted is the work of a 5 year old. See what I did there?

Quote:
So I think a similar response may be appropriate:
‘Dont worry about it, sweetie. These are things you may understand someday.’
Don't you worry your puddin' head about the truth buttercup. Adults like myself will straighten things out for you.

Still waiting for you to counter what I've posted.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:19 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Though experiment:
Would I rather be part of a group that claims Auchwitz, or would I rather be part of a group that claims the origin of a disproportionate percentage of the current music that moves the world?
Would I rather be part of a group that spread chattel slavery around the world, or part of a group that has learned a deep spirituality, has learned to survive and even forgive?
Like the white genocide going on in South Africa now? You're not very good at this.
It's about tyranny and not respecting the rights of the individual.

Group yourself all you want. It's about the individual. It doesn't matter which group one comes from, when a child is raised in a single parent family, that child is much worse off.

Quote:
So, I’d say your (laughable caricature) of African people ‘running around in the bush’, as silly as it might be, at least paints a picture of the moral high ground as compared to the 17th century British empire. That’s for damn sure.
Agreed. The British Empire, like our government, isn't moral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies