Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is racism a big factor in keep minorities down?
Yes 62 34.83%
No 116 65.17%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 11:20 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,404,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
A simple yes or no and an explanation to back up your claims please.

I voted no and will explain my reasoning later.
Actually its the minorities themselves that are keeping them down...for instance in the 50's about 17% of black families were of single parent families and now its about 73%. The lack of a father figure is what is keeping black minorities down.
What you see from the left is making minorities feel like victims when in fact its the black community and liberals that do little in helping. That is one of the major reason why black are in prison disproportionately compared to whites. All lip service by the black leaders and liberals in creating and maintaining a stable family unit.

So NO it is not racism that keeping minorities down. From the US census......

Quote:
It found that a majority of the 73.7 million American children under age 18 live in families with two parents (69 percent)—a decrease from 88 percent in 1960. Of those 50.7 million children living in families with two parents, 47.7 million live with two married parents and 3 million live with two unmarried parents.
Broken down by race, however, the statistics show stark differences. The percentage of White children under 18 who live with both parents almost doubles that of Black children, according to the data. While 74.3 percent of all White children below the age of 18 live with both parents, only 38.7 percent of African-American minors can say the same.
https://www.afro.com/census-bureau-h...ingle-mothers/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 11:20 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
From your comments. You sound like those angry black women on black sector of social media which is very toxic. However you may speak the truth in certain things. My thing is this. Foreign blacks, non black Americans and non black Americans who are born here such as I of immigrant parents are not so sensitive about black Americans. This is why I took the time to learn history of black America. But as well as learn the wrongs of how government and it's agents miss treated ask America for centuries. And yes you are right about Nigerians. I don't know why Nigerians are so snobbish. Oh well. To each their own. I have no criminal record, college degree, good credit score. I'm able to build, as well as. A woman building with me. Would a woman be more concerned about finding a partner who can they build around with. Even though such men hold certain narratives, vs a man who a black woman can not build around like criminal record, low education, no credit, but does not hold such notion. Now I see why these pro black woman women have non black spouses and boyfriends instead of building around a black men who they fight, picket and protest for. And those same black men say nasty stuff about black women which I don't like. I had to correct one black man on the street dating why are you talking about women like that. Does that also include your sister and mother? But any how. I know that we live in am America where words Speak Louder than actions, I assume you believe in. But for me actions speak Louder than words thus my actions shows my support for black America.
On the bold, your posts show you dont' know much at all about black American history.

I'm also not your stereotypical angry black woman stereotype.

However, I would never date anyone who viewed my people, which would mean they viewed me indirectly, as some sort of stereotype.

The fact that you consider me an "angry black woman" and mentioned your girlfriend gets "angry" at you for some of the things you say that are generic and stereotypical IMO just shows your ignorance. For me - people who buy into stereotypes are ignorant. I don't engage in relationships with ignorant people. I have very high standards for men of whom I am involved. FWIW in the past I have dated bi-racial men (Latino/black) I've dated white men, I've dated Latino men (from Mexico), I've dated black men from the Caribbean, America, and various African countries. A criteria for me in regards to anyone I get involved with or who I let in my circle of friends in particular is that they not be ignorant, generic sorts of people.

And you posts show that you are kind of like this. I also have known many black women who buy into the idea that they are inferior in some way - either via looks, intelligence, culture, or other ways and some of them get with non-black men or bi-racial men in an effort to cover up their lack of confidence in themselves in the aforementioned ways. I've actually had black women tell me when I dated the man who was bi-racial that I should have a baby by him so it would be "pretty" or more cute than a regular black baby (lol). That is a special kind of idiotic mindset to me. I don't get angry about any of this. I just feel bad for people for their ignorance and especially willful ignorance in seeking to hold onto ridiculous beliefs about large swaths of people.

You are not a special man. Most men I dated when I was younger was similar to you. My husband also is educated, not a criminal and we have built a significant amount of wealth together - he's a regular old black dude from Chicago lol. I know many men who are the basic type of man you are. Intellect for me is impressive - a desire to learn and a desire to better one's self both intellectually and in one's day to day life. You do not exhibit this sort of personality from your posts. Men who exhibit those traits are exceptional men IMO and they can be black or not. My black spouse does not speak negatively about me as a black woman. You have spoken just as negatively about black people, which includes black women, on various posts around here than any idiotic regular old black American man.

Both words and actions are important. Thoughts (should) lead to words and words lead to action.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:13 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,222,624 times
Default The Ongoing Works of Living, Being an Individual in a world of many, Individuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Usually the black guy would get the job, even if he were less qualified. I was even told by a black guy, against whom I was going up against for a promotion, that he would get the job because he was black. (I had twice his experience and a much superior education.) He was right - he got the job.

I had a (white) friend who lost a promotion to her (black) subordinate, who had less education and less experience. My friend sued for reverse discrimination, and won. (This was a federal agency.)
I've had white men and women who took my ideas and projects and were given promotions as a result on multiple occasions, as well as an executive position derailed, when my position would have been higher than the HR guy who derailed me. I've had envy shown because I had good relations with company presidents, CEO's and others, not many people outside of the circle of company presidents and CEO's can sustain the ear of these people in such position for 6 yrs in a business environment, especially one who is not in the title holding group, yet I did it, and they had their own executive VP's to defer to me regarding works I achieved and promoted.
As to Celebrity, I've met many famous people, from Mohammed Ali, Stevie Wonder to Burl Ives, many have been history making people. but in essence, they still were just people who used their talents and skills!!!!

I constantly have people telling me to stop giving my ideas and creations away for free, Yes, it would be great to get paid for it, but the matter of my interest is to see the progress implemented and sustained. I think there are too many ideas to be had, and too many ways and things to create to try and hoard one or the other. Without title, I've done things that people with many titles did not do, for what ever were their reasons.

As to people trying to hold me back, I've had the same thing happen with women superiors, who did all they could to stifle me, as well as block me, but... I never let any of it stop me from creating and doing the work I'm able and capable and proficient to do. I've won EEOC cases and won on solid principle.

I'm not desperate, there is too much to do, too much additional information in the world, and too many things that can be created to allow such acts to deter me. I've lost much in income but, I also have had continuing careers as well, so... nothing last forever, and transition is a part of life. So, I just moved into the new career and made structurally positive advances in applying myself.

I've been asked to train white men to do work that I'd been doing for years, and in some cases of things and systems I created, and they placed the white man over me. I've had white men tell me they did not know or understand the job as I did, as well as white men whom I did their capital project budgets and a variety of other things.
I've stood up for black and white people, men and women, to get jobs, and in some instance and situations took my time to train them on aspects needed for the jobs and in some cases recommended them to the people who would eventually hire them.

I work to get the jobs done, would I like the higher pay, well yes; but I manage what I get and I'm not in want of anything, because I don't go into extravagance. I would be very wealthy if I had been paid according to the things I've created, the systems I put in place, the money my creation and system saved as well as income it generated for the company. Even when I had multiple properties and fluid cash, it did not necessarily make me happy, and I found out real quick, that having a lot of stuff, is not the thrill people think it is, stuff needs maintenance and in the big picture of things, one only has so much time in a day to deal with stuff. Even with multiple cars, I had a silly complaint to myself, about the fact of moving one to drive the others, which as not even worth complaining about. I simply changed the driveway to make it work better, as to choice. Now, I have a car, truck and motorcycle, and I rarely drive the truck and have not ridden the motorcycle for a few years. I don't see a need for a new car, because the one I have was built well, it was not built as a disposable unit, it was built to be taken care of. It is designed for transportation and what ever customization that suits me as the owner.

What I get joy from is creating and working and making things work for people. Some people complain about work... I think.. any day we can get up and go to work is a good day... because there is someone who can't get up and someone who is bed ridden who would love to have the benefit of even our worst day at work.
I can think of many things I like the idea of, but to try and get it, is not always worth it, because one still only has so much time in a day.
Now, I don't make a lot of money, but it has not change my lifestyle or my sense of self. I got many skills and hobbies, I like musical instruments, wood working, writing, business, business administration, digital technology and a variety of other things.
IF I retired today, I'm still going to have what I have, and the basic in what it takes to maintain general upkeep and have a reasonable to me standard quality to my living. I don't owe anything but my house and utilities, and I don't plan to create owing anyone. I can't jet set around the world, but then I'm not so interested in that either, I've been to foreign location, maybe a few I'd want to visit, but I can always plan that and work the plan.

We have to figure out as people, what matters to us as an "INDIVIDUAL"... it does not have to meet anyone else approval, or anyone else's standard, it only need to be what ones -self is comfortable with as to the work-ability of their life. I see people dye their hair, and many things, because that's what they like, mine, is grey because that's how life progressed it to be. The big grace is being alive and with mobility and conscience capabilities and able to do what I think fits what I want to do.

I write, speaking about many things, but I write on the political sector of this web, because the insanity that history created has and continues to damage the lives of people. When its pointless for such a spin of madness, when fact is, God Gave Life to all who are living, and we will all not live forever and we won't take anything from this world.
I can eat what I want in moderation and some things are better not to eat period.

I grew up playing with white kids, as kids we were simply kids, even in the era of Jim Crow, I never liked the segregated signage, and even as a kid, I did not give it any regard in general, when we traveled, I went in the bathroom, not always in the one marked colored. As a teen I contact attorneys to challenge discrimination, and have challenged in the work place over many decades. I worked with a group of older white men when I was in my mid to late 20's, they had little note books where they kept info, and told me it was their job security book, they shared the info with me, and one even suggested that I'd be a good mate for his daughter. The likely most frequent thing I encounter is "envy".... I don't make other people envy become my problem, they created it and its theirs not mine, so its not necessary to try and dissolve it, it is the other persons job to dissolve it, and simply appreciate themselves, what they have and how they live.

I've lived with White women, Asian women, Black Women among the various women, I've had some who's mother thanked me for getting their daughter off the wrong track and prompting her to make better relations with her mother. and out of the various ethnic women I've engaged in close and intimate relation, one thing is common, "they are women". I've never seen one or been with one that did not want to be loved and appreciated. Period!!! I've had male friends of many ethnic make up, and they are just people, finding things in common to do... from working on cars, to sports to playing music, to talking about life.

When I write about race, it is because the ignorance of it and the historical ignorance of it, is so damaging to individuals, black and white; I detest the elements and existence of racist ignorance.

I've written much about "gender" and did so for more than a decade plus, and my writing were things that people in the psychology field, saw as being very insightful. I wrote poetry for many years, and I've never worked a job that I was not driven to be an asset and also be highly respected.

The "Individual" is what matters, and it matters that people work to be the "Individual" they want to be.
Everything I've done, I've had people tell me that I could make a profession of it, but I have so many things I appreciate doing, until I do what makes me content being me.

People can attack all they want, it has not changed me from doing what I want to do, nor writing what I want to write or saying what I want to say.... 3 things I regret: one is not being a better father; two, not giving one of my sisters a car she wanted; and three, not being aware enough to accept the fragile nature of my mother in her advanced age, because her voice made me see her as she was when she was younger and not having the power to heal her.
and maybe some indulgences when younger that were unnecessary.
I once thought of interest to want to play professional basketball, be an Architect, be an Attorney, and a professional musician, an inventor of things. I know by nature I am a writer, I don't care much for punctuation as the standard format and I write fast, so I know I'm given to typo's because I don't have time to proof read everything I write for grammar . But I can write 10 or more pages in a matter of minutes. If I want to publish something, then I'd hire an editor, who would make the grammar corrections and do their job as an editor.

Life is Life... we have the opportunity to explore, experience and express... its our choice how we do it.

I won't let the inferiority complex of any racist deter me from being me, its their job to figure out that delusion of superiority is rooted in a fearful sense that makes them want to be superior, and the more they push it, the more fear filled they become trying to chase away the reality of inferiority. Those who think material things and money make them more than others is but a fool unto themselves, There's always someone with more material things and more money, and money comes and goes, because it is a tool to be expended in being utilized, and the more it cost to earn more, the higher the risk factor if they stumble.

I'm not in a race to see who can grow old with the most toys, or who can die with the most money.

I'd prefer to leave something that future generations can build upon, by the various means that society evolves to continue advancing, learning, reviewing, researching, and growing.....and what can benefit current society as we live.

People come and attack posting when it addresses race, but that's on them, rather than attack with malice, why not if they are driven to attack, then attack it with determination to learn and grow.

Nobody can change the color of their skin, and if they can or do, the content of their character is still within the make up of whom they are. I am inferior to no one, because God did not make me to be so, nor did God any other people to be inferior to any other people.
Stephen Hawkins lost the use of his body, but not his mind, and the character of who he chose to be continued to expand his pursuit of information and the gaining of knowledge, and he shared it. It's as simple as that. Dignity Matters!!!!! to be an "Individual as one choose, they must chose the Dignity in being so, if they care to be themselves an honorable human being.

This is probably the most I'll say about me personally in blog sites.

I prefer to come to these sites to talk about the things that can make better society, even if it is the stuff people avoid, and subjects of things people fear and subjects of things people are uncomfortable with, because it is always true that dealing with the challenges as well as the adversarial things in life, is how we have progressed to be the ever evolving society of human beings that we are.

Quote:
Racism Damages Society!!! and it produces the element of Savagery, because Racism is Ignorance and Severely Vile indulgence in Vanity, both unsuitable for Civility in Society.
The greatest challenge in generalized living is "the challenge to self to be ones self as an individual" functionally living in a society of social reality, civic systems and civil humane cultural society.

The only things hard in life, is what one chooses not to want to do. The rest is just the works within living.

Racist people become in themselves weak, and unto the world they become a detractor unto the civility of humanity.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 08-11-2018 at 03:35 PM..

Old 08-11-2018, 02:27 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,222,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, your posts show you dont' know much at all about black American history.

However, I would never date anyone who viewed my people, which would mean they viewed me indirectly, as some sort of stereotype.

The fact that you consider me an "angry black woman" and mentioned your girlfriend gets "angry" at you for some of the things you say that are generic and stereotypical IMO just shows your ignorance. For me - people who buy into stereotypes are ignorant. I don't engage in relationships with ignorant people. I have very high standards for men of whom I am involved. FWIW in the past I have dated bi-racial men (Latino/black) I've dated white men, I've dated Latino men (from Mexico), I've dated black men from the Caribbean, America, and various African countries. A criteria for me in regards to anyone I get involved with or who I let in my circle of friends in particular is that they not be ignorant, generic sorts of people.

And you posts show that you are kind of like this. I also have known many black women who buy into the idea that they are inferior in some way - either via looks, intelligence, culture, or other ways and some of them get with non-black men or bi-racial men in an effort to cover up their lack of confidence in themselves in the aforementioned ways. I've actually had black women tell me when I dated the man who was bi-racial that I should have a baby by him so it would be "pretty" or more cute than a regular black baby (lol). That is a special kind of idiotic mindset to me. I don't get angry about any of this. I just feel bad for people for their ignorance and especially willful ignorance in seeking to hold onto ridiculous beliefs about large swaths of people.

You are not a special man. Most men I dated when I was younger was similar to you. My husband also is educated, not a criminal and we have built a significant amount of wealth together - he's a regular old black dude from Chicago lol. I know many men who are the basic type of man you are. Intellect for me is impressive - a desire to learn and a desire to better one's self both intellectually and in one's day to day life. You do not exhibit this sort of personality from your posts. Men who exhibit those traits are exceptional men IMO and they can be black or not. My black spouse does not speak negatively about me as a black woman. You have spoken just as negatively about black people, which includes black women, on various posts around here than any idiotic regular old black American man.

Both words and actions are important. Thoughts (should) lead to words and words lead to action.
Good Post!!!

Old 08-11-2018, 03:24 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

How do you know what I learned? Pease stop with your angry disgruntled posts saying I did not do this or that. Your don't know me.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:27 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The DNC as of the last 50 years is not telling Blacks they aren't good enough to compete with Blacks. Several Democratic politicians as of late, however, do talk about how racism has played a factor in why many Blacks deal with alot of problems. Big difference between telling someone they aren't good enough and telling someone "stuff is being done to you".
I don't think black people need to be told anything by white people about what it's like being black, just as white people don't need black people telling them about what it's like being white.

Blacks are mainly Democrats for good reasons. The Civil Rights Act is a good start. The Voting Rights Act. The big tent, where there aren't members saying things like Ingraham just said recently, "The (white) America we loved is gone." A President insulting several high profile Af Americans by saying they are stupid (kettle calling pot black...pardon the pun). Associating with the neo-Nazis and KKK.

Gee, I wonder why blacks don't find a home in the Republican Party, where they would end up rubbing shoulders with the KKK? Or people who do posts about how there isn't racism, really.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:31 PM

13,929 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Nobody is being kept down. It's a fantasy used by the weak (of every race) to justify their own failings.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:47 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I don't think black people need to be told anything by white people about what it's like being black, just as white people don't need black people telling them about what it's like being white.

Blacks are mainly Democrats for good reasons. The Civil Rights Act is a good start. The Voting Rights Act. The big tent, where there aren't members saying things like Ingraham just said recently, "The (white) America we loved is gone." A President insulting several high profile Af Americans by saying they are stupid (kettle calling pot black...pardon the pun). Associating with the neo-Nazis and KKK.

Gee, I wonder why blacks don't find a home in the Republican Party, where they would end up rubbing shoulders with the KKK? Or people who do posts about how there isn't racism, really.
Truth is, I think many people know this. And some people who complain about Blacks and who they vote for, some are just hurt because want the "old America" back.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:20 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Gee, I wonder what the view of someone whose name is "loves his country" thinks about others not like him in "his" country?

This is my country, too. I am a white female. This is her country, too (any other female citizen, of any race or ethnicity or religion or age). This is the country of that male citizen over there (the Muslim veteran, the Asian office clerk, the black lawyer, the Jewish doctor). This is our country. And we all love it.

I wonder how someone could love "his" country, and vote for a man who is a racist and aligns himself with neo-Nazis (aka white nationalists) and the KKK, saying they are fine people? Who mocks the disability of a reporter? Who regularly says blacks are not intelligent? Who calls Hispanics animals who "infest" our country? The answer is that someone who doesn't love Americans cannot, by definition, love America.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:18 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
A mother-in-law can be more oppressive than the KKK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies