Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is racism a big factor in keep minorities down?
Yes 62 34.83%
No 116 65.17%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 07:34 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
(( Finish high school. work a fulltime job, wait until you're 21 to get married and have kids. Do those 3 things and you'll have a 75 percent chance to be middle class or higher. applies to "black and white" society !!! ))
Agree. And why I believe that it is living a ghetto CULTURE lifestyle that is keeping the poor in the black community down, not white people.

But add to that the need to speak business style English while at work, and keeping ebonic slang for outside of work only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 07:38 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
But when you say "whites do it too," you are failing to admit that blacks do it to a greater degree (drop out of high school and have illegitimate babies) and that that accounts for much of their problems. Denying that blacks have at least SOME role in their failures isn't going to help blacks succeed.

I've said it a gazillion times, but if blacks were to drop the OOW birthrate to 50% (still shameful), poverty and crime rates would shrink.
Do you understand what "too" means? it means "in addition; also.

Geez !!!! Not one time did I say nor imply that single parent births were not an issue and it is very much not beneficial, but I am certainly not going to say, its only a black issue. It is a major problem!!!, I see people with multiple little kids they are unable to properly care for and I see to many kids that are being groomed based on external imagery and bling name tag delusions and allowed to be without the controls and regulation that were once standard, even when single mothers had kids many decades ago. The society today, is far different, this is also seen in white society as well. heck, by 8:30 during school season, it was time to be in bed. Now kids stay up half the night with games, tech, and some unsupervised with no parameters.
That is not to diminish the issue for either race. Its an issue that we have enough birth control in the America system to avert the problem for any woman, black or white, and we also have issues that neither black nor white is addressing, "the women did not have the baby by herself" someone impregnated her. But we are not addressing the "male factor" on either race.
We both black and white might be able to learn from the Asian, they have a better grip of their values, than both black and white society in America as to educational focus and birth rates by single mothers. That's not claiming them perfect or anything, its simply saying, there is something to learn when they live here too,it could be argued, that their birth rate by single women has not skyrocketed. (it could be argued, that they may are in smaller numbers as to citizen population, and by variance of population volumes, there may be some similarities in %'s relative to population size)
Never the less, people can learn from people... regardless of what their skin color is. America has problem!! and the problems are never one dimensional.

Neither did I say one time, that blacks did not have a role to fill in their life conditions.

Most of these readers and writes ignore facts, and push nothing but their bias mined slants. I've posted FBI Stats, as it relates to crime, but as usual, some of these white people, brush it off as if to try and white wash it away.
None of that is to say crime is not a problem in society, in the black community as well as the white community.

Maybe some of you should look at the insane crimes in white society while you are so singluarily focused on blacks, because crime is an issue in America!!! black and white crime.
who the hell kills their mate and eat part of their body, or killing the whole family likes its a sport, aswell as young people killing each other like its a fad thing to do, among the very long list of types of crimes. FBI is logging stats based on fiction, they are "facts"

As to regional birth rates, surely there are charts that show the high rate of unwed black mothers, and likely many various cities compile these states. Here's one from Rochester. But at no time will the fact of unwed white mothers be dismiss as not being an issue as well.

Who uses public services

Here's some more diversity stats for the inquiring minds

We have crazy stuff in society today, before, No one left their baby in a hot car, no body was dousing their babies with chemicals, and other brutal stuff, at leas it certainly was not something publicized, people now are so crazed, the first thought when they get anguished is to kill someone, or kill or damage or destroy something. It's like a sickness in the air of society.
Once upon a time people could tell the difference between a hooker and non hooker by the way they dressed different, today... there is no difference in dress. so, what I find is, don't assume anyone is a hooker until they reveal themselves as being so. (laugh)!!!

As to people... I'm as saddened by seeing blacks, hang out, don't go to school, do thug stuff, sit around the house, drinking, doing drugs and killing each other.making babies they can't support or care for, the same as I am saddened by seeing whites, hang out, don't go to school, doing thug stuff, and sit around the house, drinking, doing drugs and killing each other.
On a personal note, I'm not thrilled at seeing so many black women in wigs, and odd hair colors that don't fit within the business environment. or black boys with their pants saggin, but now, I see white boys with their pants saggin, as well as white women now wearing more and more wigs, and odd hair colors that don't fit within the business environment.

People say, let individuals do what they want. Well ... when what they want stands in the way or their progress and ability to maintain and sustain themselves... then it becomes a social civic matter.

Its seems society has taken the "party mentality" and made it an "all day mentality". When I grew up, people "dressed for work" Professionally, even if they wore a uniform, they wore it with a neat and clean dignity.

Now, some people go to jobs looking any kind of way, ungroomed hair, (black and white), slap on a wig, stick on a cap, I see guys with the dingy tee shirts with a worn label, or boots they won't even make effort to clean, if it was muddy during work yesterday, they get up and put it on muddy tomorrow. Some people don't even dress for "meeting".

I remember in the 1980 and 1990's when people got hung up on Jogging Suits and in some levels of business, they thought it was chic to come in a jogging suit. When I grew up, Teachers Dressed Professional, not Sexy Revealing, or Hang Out Casual... The Classroom was their Office, and they dressed in Professional Office Attire.
Today, we got too many teachers trying to bang the students and trying to look like a teenager themselves.

I will never as long as I'm healthy and able bodies get up and put on dress slacks and shirt and tie, with un-shined shoes!!! I will not put on a wrinkled shirt while wearing a necktie. I don't go out ungroomed!!!

We all have a dignity to uphold if we first embrace having dignity.

None of us are without error, and we will make mistake, but it matters who's willing to face it, and work to correct it. and not repeat it.

Sadly, we are not going to get the perfect world of ideals.... People have tried it by many means, from the acts of Dictators, Authoritarians, and Segregation, Secular Discrimination, Cults and what ever frame one can imagine to try and make pockets of ideals, and it just is not something that is likely to happen in the next 50 yrs. But, progress will continue to be made decade by decade.
Maybe in a 100 yrs the world will have evolved to be a better world, when the world is better educated in understanding what it takes for Civility to Be Universal, and technology is able to do things in ways that can assist civility being engaged and sustained among society of people; to become and be a civic systems with civility as the higher premise and format.

Until then, we keep plugging away at trying to work on what we think can make it better for all.

I'm glad to hear white people want to see life be better for black people. I'm glad to hear that black people want to see life be better for white people.... because the better life is for "all" of us, the better society will be for all of us.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 08-14-2018 at 08:36 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Agree. And why I believe that it is living a ghetto CULTURE lifestyle that is keeping the poor in the black community down, not white people.

But add to that the need to speak business style English while at work, and keeping ebonic slang for outside of work only.
I got no problem with either of those, my work will not support the engagement of slang in the work place.
and I don't like to see the ghetto culture in any environments... or in the work place. Business is Business, and it should be designed to be "universal" in format and function.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:40 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Ghetto culture is a symptom. It's afte the fact. Its the welfare state that entices parents to abandon their kids.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:44 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Ghetto culture is a symptom. It's afte the fact. Its the welfare state that entices parents to abandon their kids.
It doesn't help when you have mediums like music videos that promotes the ghetto culture.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:56 AM

1,087 posts, read 782,377 times
Whatever the ultimate goal of racism is, it will never be over even when the white supremacy is dead down. It is perpetually bitterly divided along the lines of race, religion and nationality. That's exactly what some other nations want to see as "western democracy".

Old 08-14-2018, 08:59 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
It doesn't help when you have mediums like music videos that promotes the ghetto culture.
In the same vein, doesn't country music promote drinking and outlaws?

Old 08-14-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Ghetto culture is certainly an issue and a big one.

Quote:
Please get your facts start when talking about "welfare" in whole...
Though rates of participation are higher among people of color, it is white people who are the greatest number of recipients when measured by race. Given the population of the U.S. in 2012 and the annual rate of participation by race reported by the U.S. Census Bureau in 2015, about 35 million white people participated in one of the six major government assistance programs that year. That's about 11 million more than the 24 million Hispanics and Latinos who participated and considerably more than the 20 million Black people who received government aid.

In fact, most white people receiving benefits are enrolled in Medicaid. According to analysis by the Kaiser Family Foundation, 42 percent of non-elderly Medicaid enrollees in 2015 were white. However, U.S. Department of Agriculture data for 2013 show that the largest racial group participating in SNAP are also white, at more than 40 percent.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Look around a the big picture across the spectrum of people... Hip Hop is wide spread across all ethnic groups, then there is the Rock Culture, the Grunge, Country and Western and various cultures that form in relations to music and the imagery and conduct promoted behind the genre of music.

America won't go back to the Pre Anything of the past, not relative to musical, cultural manner, or even in mate selection, people don't even have the same ideals about work, as once existed, many kids never even know what their grandparents look like outside of a picture. There is no more community discipline, and certainly the front porch society has vanished. Many people don't even know who their neighbor is, and some communities are driven and filled with transient tenancy.
Long ago, kids at least knew their class mates for more than a year or two, in some areas before, kids knew each other from 1st to 12th grade.

Nostalgia is a interesting things, but its generally filled with "confabulations", thinking it was better than it actually was.
Divorce has been on a continual increase since the 1960's. Individuals assessing themselves by Material Measure took off like a rocket in the 1970's and has escalated every decade since. The 1980's Drug spread did not miss a single community in America, and certainly did not miss any families, every family knows and has someone in it that is into drugs or drink.

Credit debt took off in the 1970's with the wide spread of credit cards, and people no longer just wait and save up for what they want, and then came the 1970's " Gotta Go To The Mall".. which swept the nation like a wildfire. We have people now, claiming "depression" when they can no longer shop. We have people buried in purchasing debt.

For poorer people, I have not yet figured out what the obsession is with "designer goods", that are over priced and does not fit with the economics. I see women, working not high paying jobs, with overly expensive designer purses.

Long ago, women just bought a purse and they used it until it was time to replace it from wear and tear, they may have had one or two purses for dress up. And people had Sunday clothes complete with hats and bag for those who could afford it.

I even see the tee shirt culture, not just the neat ones with discreet logo's, but blasting out statements!! and some just wear them till it look like an old dish rag that was used to wash out a months of dishes.

I personally am not a fan of the "torn jeans" look. When I was a kid, we had the "sewn in path" that was done by hand and done neatly, then came the Iron on patches, but never the idea of just wearing torn jeans with giant holes in them. Now people call it fad and fashion.

Now people don't manage their income resources, because its so easy to rack up credit debt.....

Old 08-14-2018, 10:16 AM

Here's Some Startling Reality "The Economic Crash of 2007-2009" was far greater than many realized, yes those who lost jobs and home know it well, but many who were working don't grasp the level and impact it created.

Quote:
The 2015 report by the U.S. Census Bureau documents rates of participation in government assistance programs from 2009 through 2012. In other words, it shows how many people received government assistance in the final year of the Great Recession and in the three years that followed it, generally known as the recovery period.

However, the findings of this report show that the period of 2010‒12 was not a period of recovery for all, as overall rates of participation in government assistance programs rose each year from 2009. In fact, the rate of participation increased for all types of people, regardless of age, race, employment status, type of household or family status, and even level of education.

The average monthly participation rate for those without a high school degree rose from 33.1 percent in 2009 to 37.3 percent in 2012. It rose from 17.8 percent to 21.6 percent for those with a high school degree, and from 7.8 percent to 9.6 percent for those who attended college for one year or more.

This shows that despite how much education one attains, periods of economic crisis and job scarcity impact everyone.
"Systemic Poverty" and the systems that sustain it. Racism should be the least of our concerns, its now "The Wealthy vs The Poor, as if its on Steroids!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies