Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 08:42 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,603 times

Advertisements

Richard Sherman claims that Jerry Jones, owner of the Cowboys, has a ‘plantation mentality’. This opinion has also been expressed by other black athletes and some journalists about the NFL in general.

.https://nypost.com/2018/07/31/richar...ion-mentality/

I believe that the reference to a plantation is to the colonial plantations that largely relied on slave labor. I know that modern plantations exist, where the workers are widely considered to be grossly underpaid. In either case, regarding the labor force, the term ‘plantation’ certainly has a negative connotation.

I do not remember ever learning about any plantation owners, past or present, who paid their workforce an average salary that puts them in the top 1% of the country, to play a sport that they played their whole lives for free.

NFL average salary = 2.1 million.(according to Forbes).
Minimum adj gross income to be considered in the top 1%=$480,930(according to the IRS, 2015).
NFL minimum salary =$450,000. Still basically at the 1% mark.

Much of this stems from the anthem issue, where some athletes think they have a constitutional right to kneel. The fact that their boss, the team owner, who has made them all multi millionaires, and has every right to establish team policies, is lost on these individuals. They, in turn, have every right to leave the job if they disagree with said policies.

I think most of us have had to follow some company rules that we didn’t like, but as a voluntary employee, it is either follow the rules, as long as they are legal, or take a walk, see ya. These players claim a right of social protest. Sure, on YOUR TIME! What these mental midgets don’t get is, everyone who works for someone else has to follow company policies, end of story. They can protest all they want 6 days a week. Sunday is the time to play football. That is why they get the $$ they get.

So Jerry Jones, who, over the years, has made it possible for hundreds of black players to enjoy a lifestyle that 99% of the workers in this country will never experience, is being compared to a slave owner because he expects his employees to stand for the anthem, as all sports teams have done for many decades.

The teams black QB and black RB support their owner. Good for them. That takes courage.
I wish the owner of my team, the NY Giants, and our veteran QB had half the guts their Cowboy counterparts have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 08:47 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I get the analogy, but obviously, the slaves would have been much more content with multi million $$ salaries.

If the football players are oppressed by “the man”, then aren’t we all oppressed by our employers, who get to dictate our behavior at work?

Old 08-03-2018, 08:50 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,372,428 times
As a liberal Richard Sherman surely knows what a plantation mentality is. He lives his life slavishly committed to the master of progressive politics.

the proof of that is the treatment Dak just got for expressing non-approved un-Progressive ideology.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:18 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,128 times
This is the problem with this generation these days. They've lived such a good life. The 2nd things seem different it seems that life is unfair.

99% of Americans go to their jobs & have to follow rules they don't like all the time. It's part of the job. But these players think they are special and are not in touch with the real world because their heads are so full of crap.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:27 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,080,998 times
Forgive me if I'm wrong, I don't really keep up with it.

But weren't NFL players simply using their platform to peacefully protest the excessive use of force against black people by the police? I don't think they were directly trying to disrespect their team's owners of the NFL.

So what is Richard Sherman referring to with his plantation mentality comments?

Old 08-03-2018, 09:41 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,439,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong, I don't really keep up with it.

But weren't NFL players simply using their platform to peacefully protest the excessive use of force against black people by the police? I don't think they were directly trying to disrespect their team's owners of the NFL.

So what is Richard Sherman referring to with his plantation mentality comments?
He's trying to say that Jerry Jones is running a "plantation" because he set rules about how the players are to stand during the Anthem. It's just a bunch of BS and not very important.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:46 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,356 times
Oh dear... are we gonna let big sweaty millionaires who chase a ball for a living express their political views while on the clock? Or not???

Imagine if people got this riled up about something that actually matters...

Old 08-03-2018, 10:07 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Oh dear... are we gonna let big sweaty millionaires who chase a ball for a living express their political views while on the clock? Or not???

Imagine if people got this riled up about something that actually matters...
This issue reflects a lot of the racial conflicts in our society today. In that respect, I believe the conversation certainly has merit. The NFL has a huge impact in this country, whether you like sports or not.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:09 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Richard Sherman likes to hear himself talk, and virtue signal which strokes his ego. He probably recites these views in front of a mirror while fondling his Stanford diploma. He's pretty much washed up as a Corner Back, so has to get his jollies somehow.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:35 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Richard Sherman claims that Jerry Jones, owner of the Cowboys, has a ‘plantation mentality’. This opinion has also been expressed by other black athletes and some journalists about the NFL in general.

.https://nypost.com/2018/07/31/richar...ion-mentality/

I believe that the reference to a plantation is to the colonial plantations that largely relied on slave labor. I know that modern plantations exist, where the workers are widely considered to be grossly underpaid. In either case, regarding the labor force, the term ‘plantation’ certainly has a negative connotation.

I do not remember ever learning about any plantation owners, past or present, who paid their workforce an average salary that puts them in the top 1% of the country, to play a sport that they played their whole lives for free.
You (and the NY Post) seem to misunderstand the context in which the term "Plantation Mentality" is being used in the case of NFL players who wish to take the knee. This is NOT about money. It is about freedom of expression and the right to dissent - both of which are enshrined in the US Constitution and are more priceless than any NFL player's salary. The "plantation mentality" is about a group of people being forced to act against their will by a despot who has complete control over them.

Those players who take the knee are protesting the treatment of black Americans (especially by law enforcement) and the general prejudice against against people of color in this country. Some may feel that there is no problem today with the way blacks are treated in our society. Well, you're welcome to your opinion, just as NFL players are welcome to theirs. Enforced patriotism makes our democracy lesser, and does nothing to ensure love of country - quite the opposite.

As the daughter of a career Army officer, I respect our flag and will always stand for the National Anthem. However, I do not WORSHIP the flag. The flag is but a symbol and if my country veers off course, I might not stand for the anthem either.

It seems to me that everyone on the right wants to make the players' protest about money. Money can't buy love and it cannot buy patriotism to a cause where too many have their individual rights trampled on. As the saying goes, "I may disagree with what you say, but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies