Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 11:19 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times

Advertisements

Will The NRA Survive?

Yeah sure, they'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 11:22 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
This is a form of TYRANNY, and censorship to withhold financial services from a Constitutional Amendment advocacy group. It is a way to silence the NRA. What if the ACLU, Planned Parenthood, Public and Private Sector Unions, Act Blue, Media Matters, NEA, AFT, etc were withheld the ability to get loans, use electronic financial services, and other necessary services to do their business?
Exactly.
The NRA has a strong case...
It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Me personally, I had enough of Cuomos BS and left NY 2 years ago... If I ran a financial institution or insurance company, I would relocate to Texas for the corporate tax break. Come running your mouth getting an AG to try and restrain who I do legitimate business with on the grounds that they did... I'd slap that pompous fool in the face by leaving and taking all that tax revenue he could leech off of me and my company elsewhere in a heart beat. Offer my employees relocation help or lay them off then relocate.

He could say good riddance. Just means he has to raise everyone's taxes again to pay for that free SUNY tuition and all of the other good feels programs. And if I had anything to do with the NRA when he implemented the Safeact I'd have closed up shop and left. Especially following his comments in regards to "extreme" conservatives do not have a place in NY...

Old 08-04-2018, 11:35 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Will The NRA Survive?

Yeah sure, they'll be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Not only will they survive but they are growing stronger
Tell that to the NRA.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:50 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Tell that to the NRA.
I believe Wayne LaPierre is still collecting more than $1 million per year (correct me if I'm wrong) and they just recently dropped $4 million into his pension plan. Pretty good pay for scaremongering ...

Membership is up, and that's $40 per year from each.

They need to stop lobbying and get back to basics, and become honorable once again.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:18 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:
I believe Wayne LaPierre is still collecting more than $1 million per year (correct me if I'm wrong) and they just recently dropped $4 million into his pension plan. Pretty good pay for scaremongering ...

They need to stop lobbying and get back to basics, and become honorable once again.
And they overspent something like $46 million in 2016.

Sounds like they've got a spending problem first, which they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Can't blame insurers for not wanting to cover them if they've had excessive claims.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:56 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
This is a form of TYRANNY, and censorship to withhold financial services from a Constitutional Amendment advocacy group. It is a way to silence the NRA. What if the ACLU, Planned Parenthood, Public and Private Sector Unions, Act Blue, Media Matters, NEA, AFT, etc were withheld the ability to get loans, use electronic financial services, and other necessary services to do their business?
This is a good point, as the NRA is not asking for public funds like Planned Parenthood gets, rather just to be able to engage in normal business/commerce.
Yet leftists who do not like a civil rights group who defends one of our freedoms, wants to desperately find a way to destroy or at least diminish their influence.

`

Old 08-04-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Perhaps they could if politicians didn't make it their life's work to subjectively interpret a constitutionally protected civil liberty to keep and bear arms...

Instead of focusing on firearms, focus on enforcing the laws on the books and not make plea deals for those that do use firearms in crime, repeal or tweak the gun free school act of 1994 to allow school faculty their rights to keep and bear arms on school grounds instead of solely relying upon allocating police to act as guards. That way they may serve as a line of defense in behalf of themselves and the students rather than rely on a wooden door with a glass window and 2 SROs to ensure the safety of students and teachers alike.

We could work together to make it totally undesirable to plot and plan attacks to the illegal use of firearms, if you'd focus on the real issue...
The motive incentive and intent of the heinous individuals that use them illegally.
Criminalizing and demonizing the right to keep and bear arms and subjectively interpret that right to suit the anti gun agenda only fuels the fire of division.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:42 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
This is a good point, as the NRA is not asking for public funds like Planned Parenthood gets, rather just to be able to engage in normal business/commerce.
Yet leftists who do not like a civil rights group who defends one of our freedoms, wants to desperately find a way to destroy or at least diminish their influence.

`
Just what "influence" should they have? The 2nd amendment isn't going anywhere. The NRA should be apolitical.

What happened to free enterprise? Now it's tyranny if an insurer or bank doesn't want to insure the/ lend them money? Do insurance companies/banks not have the right to refuse service? Perhaps if they are going broke, the should manage their money better.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
And they overspent something like $46 million in 2016.

Sounds like they've got a spending problem first, which they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Can't blame insurers for not wanting to cover them if they've had excessive claims.
The insurers were the ones that sold carry guard insurance for those that conceal carry. It wasn't just solely insurance for the NRA in say, insurance for their operations buildings/assets and programs.

NY AG wanted to fine the insurance providers and banks that do business with the NRA.

There is proof of that.
Quote:
A National Rifle Association-branded insurance program unlawfully provided liability coverage to gun owners in the event they were charged with a crime involving their firearms, according to New York state regulators.
How was it unlawful liability coverage?

Quote:
Lockton Cos., which administered the insurance, and an affiliate were fined $7 million by New York’s Department of Financial Services and will no longer participate in the NRA’s “Carry Guard” program in the state of New York, the agency said in a statement Wednesday.

The group advertises Carry Guard as the nation’s “most complete self-defense membership program” on its website, referring to Lockton’s plan as “comprehensive personal firearms liability insurance.” Regulators said the insurance unlawfully offered protection for certain acts of intentional wrongdoing and improperly provided coverage for acts of self defense. Gun control advocates have criticized the program, referring to it as “murder insurance.”
Yet. It isn't murder insurance. Carry guard program is insurance which gun grabbers wanted people to have many times announced here they wanted firearms to be treated like automobiles, registered... insured...

In the event of self defense, that insurance plan would cover legal fees should You be accused of a crime while defending yourself. It protects your assets the same way automobile insurance protects/coverages work should you get involved in an accident. Further more if proven guilty of a crime, just like an insurance company can drop you for DWI carry guard coverages do not apply if you murder someone in cold blood.

In a stand your ground state, it would go towards legal fees if you have to get a lawyer for a criminal case, and if cleared of a criminal charge and it was determined to be lawful self defense, it also covers any following civil suits if that Avenue is persued.

It also covers theft. Again... gun grabbers wanted firearms insured... then pull the brakes on covering firearm insurance...

Quote:
Lockton issued 680 Carry Guard policies to New York residents between April and November of last year, the DFS determined. Between 2000 and March 2018, Lockton and the NRA offered at least 11 other insurance programs. The company collected $12 million in premiums and $785,460 in administrative fees related to these programs during that time, according to the DFS.
An investigation by the DFS found the program was actively advertised in New York by the NRA both online and through traditional mail. The firearms lobby doesn’t have a license to conduct insurance business in New York, according to the DFS, which oversees insurers and banks chartered in the state.

That's funny, the NRA isn't an insurance provider. LOCKTON is the insurance provider. Much like any other insurance provider. NRA doesn't provide through coverages. Lockton does.

Take the first amendment... if you could have a 1st amendment lobby, advertise an insurance policy for your right to free speech, to freedom of the press, that insurance would cover you should you be accused of a crime say verbal harassment or cover a journalists/photographers camera and equipment in the event of a crime.
It wouldn't cover you or protect you if you were guilty of a crime. Just like insurance companies for automobiles won't cover DWI related accidents. Depending on the policy and it's wording you hurt/kill someone in a DWI case... your coverage is dropped and you're on your own and hold all of the liability and your assets are no longer protected by the insurance company for you violated their terms.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...regulators-say

Old 08-04-2018, 01:47 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
I can't believe anyone calls into question whether the NRA will be fine. That's like asking if Putin or Xi will be fine.....or, on another tack, will Buffet and Bezos be fine.....

The NRA will be fine. They have thousands of legislators bought and sold....plus a couple millions nuts (and also millions of normal people too...as members...not all nuts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies