Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2018, 11:16 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
the numbers skew heavily towards a higher percentage of black people being victims. But that is just for shooting victims.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...olice-by-race/

What's interesting after just reading through that article is how shooting deaths went down drastically from 2017 to 2018. *Just looked at numbers from a little before and shooting deaths go like this...

2015 - 1,146
2016 - 1,092
2017 - 987
2018 - 519

Pretty amazing numbers if so. Also to note that police deaths are down a lot as well. Unfortunately, crime is still high in a lot of areas, which I have my theories on.

It says right on the page next to the graph:

This statistic shows the number of people shot to death by the U.S. police in 2017 and 2018 up to June 20th, distinguished by race.

Of course the numbers are lower because they are only counting the first 6 or 7 months of the year. The 2017 and before numbers are full years. How would they have the entire 2018 numbers when the year is not done yet?

Old 08-05-2018, 11:17 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"offered my ID, even though under no obligation to do so."

In most state it IS.
Not required here.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm not impressed by a column that calls something a "legend" that they then say it's part of many state laws.

I get it. Double down and pick out the minutia because you can't refute the facts.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:30 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am not part of any problem. And I said many times the cops used excessive force.

However you said this:

So you think that with goons like this....asking the question and then demanding a lawyer would have changed the outcome?

The outcome was he got killed. So he was going to be killed regardless?

You implied he would have been killed whether or not he had resisted the cops which is ridiculous. I just simply pointed out the obvious.

They told him he had a warrant for his arrest. They were not required to show him that warrant at that moment if they did not have it with them. That is the law. I am sorry you don't like that law. You don't have the right to violate the law just because you don't like it.

And he was dragged off because he did not get down on his own. The cops used excessive force but all of it could have been avoided if he just got down off the tractor. It should have been handled differently but the cops were within their rights to get the guy off the tractor. They should have used more restraint in dealing with the vet. They had no right to strangle him to death.

Not a cop. I said the cops should be charged with murder several times in this thread. But it would have been best to comply with the cops and sort it out at the police station. That would be my advice to anyone in that situation. If its true he did not have a warrant that would have been discovered quickly.
Where did I state he wanted them to show him the warrant?

You continue to post these lies about what I said. Why are you doing that?

Old 08-05-2018, 12:05 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
It says right on the page next to the graph:

This statistic shows the number of people shot to death by the U.S. police in 2017 and 2018 up to June 20th, distinguished by race.

Of course the numbers are lower because they are only counting the first 6 or 7 months of the year. The 2017 and before numbers are full years. How would they have the entire 2018 numbers when the year is not done yet?
Good catch. Was pulling all of the information together randomly this morning by request. After a night out. Before coffee.

The numbers trend down, but not as significantly. Actually thought some of this exposure might be having a bigger impact. Thanks for the correction.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:06 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
The points you made about BLM's short comings can apply to other extremist groups. While BLM does have a noble intention (bringing awareness, though by cherry-picking, of Black victims of violence), how they go about acting on it is an issue by itself.
Without the protests the corruption of the Baltimore police department never gets exposed.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:07 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
I get it. Double down and pick out the minutia because you can't refute the facts.
For a site to call something a legend that they then admit is part of many laws shows an obvious bias and agenda.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:10 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"They are required to present the warrant, and are not legally permitted to take any action until the person served has read the warrant."

I think you are wrong.
That's because your reading comprehension is quite poor.

I never stated, implied or suggested that a warrant is required to make an arrest.

I made 134 DWI arrests in my first year on patrol without warrants.

I merely stated that if police have a warrant, they are required to present it, and then stated the three exceptions to that, as it relates to search warrants. Police are required to present arrest warrants, too, but there are exceptions to that as well. If the suspect is belligerent, or suspected or known to be armed, police are allowed to make the apprehension, and then present the warrant.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:27 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
The points you made about BLM's short comings can apply to other extremist groups. While BLM does have a noble intention (bringing awareness, though by cherry-picking, of Black victims of violence), how they go about acting on it is an issue by itself.
I really have a hard time, at this point looking in retrospect, believing that they ever had good intentions. And I've thought about it a lot.

For example, prior to what they did to Ferguson, they had tried to do to organizers out on the West Coast. Which said it had disrupted their organizing and weakened their protest. If I had the blog article from one of the organizers I would share it.

When they went to Ferguson, they claimed to be in "solidarity" but really they just wanted to astroturf their movement. Even when Ferguson's leadership spoke out. Their founder was killed and they never even mentioned a word of it. Mostly because he was exposing the back door schemes they were running. Which diverted funds from families to their non-profit.

I think their intentions were always bad, they just picked the right issues at the right time. I don't think you can care about "black lives" when you're ruining them and harming them. Just like victims. They'd libel/slander police corruption victims who wouldn't push their narrative. And black people who wouldn't push their narrative. They had to be deceitful about their intentions the entire time, and literally steal from people, to push an agenda that people ultimately rejected. All at the expense of who knows how many people across the country were coming together.

I guess you have to have context of how things started, and what was working and being effective. They raised awareness (although you could argue things had already gone viral when they showed up), but ultimately sabotaged the issue, and then set things back. Some of the activists who started this (just regular people at the time) are dead. Some people's businesses failed due to their stealing and slander that could've helped these issues. There was/is in-fighting, mainly along grassroots vs. Black Lives Matter lines that caused fighting instead of progress. There's literally no unity in the movement with BLM dropping the ball in so many areas, while also sabotaging those who started this movement (the organizing, hashtags, strategy, etc).

I just think they're evil people who used a legit issue for $$. It's like the Red Cross collecting money for rafts, collected thousands, and then delivering 2 $40 rafts and claiming their helping. But in this case, there are real effects to their scamming and sabotaging of this issue. They put a LOT of people at unnecessary risk. And they harmed a lot of people.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Where did I state he wanted them to show him the warrant?

You stated it right here just a few posts back:

He wanted an answer. With aggressive guys like this he may have had legitimate fear of getting down from that tractor.

What answer were you referring to? The only answer in the video the vet wanted was where was the warrant. He wanted to see it.

How do you not remember what you posted just an hour ago? And yet you are saying I am lying? Wow.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 08-05-2018 at 12:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies