Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 10:09 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Anyone who watches please explain. They are just low forms of entertainment. The last gasp of a dying industry. You could learn more from E! or Nickelodeon.
I don't watch either Fox or CNN. I'll turn on MSNBC from time to time when I want to be entertained - even for me they are too far left for me to take them seriously.

Pretty much any media source is going to be somewhat biased, but that doesn't mean you can't get useful info from them. The key is to get your news from a variety of sources. I listen to NPR, PBS, and the network news. I also read a variety of print and online media like WaPo, the New York Times, the Denver Post, Huff Post, etc. If something is very controversial, I try to go to the original source like research on climate change, for example. Since I have a background in science, it's fairly easy for me to tell if someone is reporting valid research vs disinformation. Finally, I try to read what's being reported in the European papers. Thank heavens for Google translate!

The key is to not get your information from a single source or only from sources that have a single agenda even if that slant is one you have an affinity for. I wish some folks around here would just watch Nickelodeon instead of Info Wars and the yellow press. But then again, their whacko posts help make the CD politics forum the quality discussion group that it is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 11:07 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
I watch both sides of the equation. Fox is Trump TV with Hanninty, Ingraham, and Judge Jeanine. Then you have the opposite side of the coin with MSNBC Maddow, O'Donnell, Brian Williams. To understand one, you have to understand the other. For example: Maddow describes children being held in cages. Ingraham describes them as summer camps. If you're interested in an accurate description look at both sides and put it together in the middle. Yes there are fences, it's a detention center. No it's not summer camp either. The trouble comes with emotional thinkers that want to believe only what they want to believe. I had a friend tell me that those crying children were coached. Oh lordy. Anyone that could accept that level of callous cruelty is brain washed. I told him that it was wrong and it would be reversed because we the people will never stand for that cruelty. I was right and he was left with egg on his face. Should I embarrass him with an I told you so? No way. He's more then just an opinion.

Then there's my husband, the love of my life, with severe TDS. There is nothing and I mean nothing that he can find right about Trump. He refuses to watch Trump TV and has a steady diet of anti Trump TV because that's what he wants to hear and believe. Yikes. I can't even tell him what I like about some of Trump's immigration policies. He doesn't want to hear it. Just like cult 45 doesn't want to deal with anything but alternative facts.
So where does a centrist thinker fit in? I'll just keep watching and reading everything from both sides of the coin. On Fox I prefer Ingraham, on MSNBC I prefer Maddow, but I will not read the Enquirer!

Old 08-04-2018, 11:26 AM

104 posts, read 60,385 times
Of course they are all biased but some anchors are more about giving their opinions, presenting irrelevant facts or asking stupid biased questions

The only one I can stand are Rachel Maddow and Chris Wallace. I don’t think I enjoy watching anyone on CNN. They are still better than Fox but they bore me with their biased nonsense.

About the separation of families, I enjoyed watching the Frontline special. I think it was the less biased presentation I have seen so far. Frontline never disappoints. I think it’s ironic that I have to watch a government sponsored channel to watch the least biased coverage.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:33 AM

20,865 posts, read 9,532,948 times
I don't watch any TV news at all, except occasionally some local news.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:25 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
CNN and MSNBC. When O'Reilly was on Fox, I watched to see a different perspective even though I didn't agree with most of his talking points. I don't watch Fox at all now because their talent in journalism and common sense is nonexistent.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:38 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
I watch CNN because they dont hide the butt hurt and its enjoyable
The election of Trump is the best thing that happened to their ratings.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:45 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,084,700 times
I watch Fox News during the day. Their evening lineup disgusts me.

I tend to do my own research and get most of my news from Real Clear Politics, one of the most respected and reputable "moderate conservative" news sites out there.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/

Old 08-04-2018, 12:49 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I watch Fox News during the day. Their evening lineup disgusts me.

I tend to do my own research and get most of my news from Real Clear Politics, one of the most respected and reputable "moderate conservative" news sites out there.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/
If you get most of your news from real clear politics, then why are your posts a stream of left-wing madness?

lol

Old 08-04-2018, 12:55 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,683 times
The other night, on a busy news cycle with several breaking stories in this whole mess, I did a quick scan of the Cable News Networks at 9pm.

Chris Cuomo had Rudy Giuliani for an extended interview, discussing the details of his research into "collusion" in the Criminal Code.

Rachel had a panel of guests, consisting of the former US Ambassador to Russia, a US District Attorney, and an FBI lead investigator.

And Hannity had on Roseanne Barr. Now that's the kind of hard hitting journalism that the mainstream is missing.
I didn't stay with Sean long enough to see if she sang the National Anthem.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:24 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
The election of Trump is the best thing that happened to their ratings.

Absolutely. Every day we turn on the TV to see what that dumba$$ did today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies