Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 05:43 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
But don'tcha know that's not his fault? I got a pageful of that yesterday for the pretzel-twist apologist. He just lent his name to the university. He wasn't running it day to day. It wasn't his fault (cue the violins). That was some gymnastics there.
If you're plastering your name on something it should be something you can support.

He knew it was a sham. Don't be an apologist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 05:50 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Fake news, try 62,000,000. Just can't get over that he didn't get the majority of the votes, can ya?

"B-u-t---B-u-t.....he's your President!" He WON!!!!

Old 08-07-2018, 08:35 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, 13 years later....and you expect the same, or you honestly believe what is 13 years old is still true today?? He did not give his tax returns because he did not have to...

With the current people who are leaking what they can about trump, if he really was not a Billionaire, don't you think it would be already out there?
No, I don't think it would necessarily be out there.

And, to point out the obvious: No one has to release his tax returns. However, it's been the custom because most people running for president understand that a certain level of transparency indicates that you are not a "crook." It indicates there is nothing shady or shameful in the tax returns. So the natural conclusion would be that Trump does in fact have something shameful or shady in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I don't believe he's a billionaire for a minute. But I see a few posters here throwing that around. Amazing that they just take his word for it. Honestly, I've come to realize that we aren't dealing with the brightest people.

I think that what disturbs me most is not Donald Trump. Hucksters/shysters/con-men like him have been around forever. I am most disturbed by the outright swallowing and lock-step following that 30-some percent of the population in the U.S. is doing. I actually thought, as a nation, we were smarter than that. Public schooling has failed miserably. And to watch some struggling, working class white folks think he's going to save them, when he will do the exact opposite, is sad to watch.
Yes, you would think we were smarter than that. That's one of the worst aspects of Trump's election - the realization that there are so many gullible, mean, greedy, bigoted Americans, more than I ever dreamed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Because it wouldn't be enough. He's wealthy, not stupid.
And the trick isn't to use your own money, it's to get other people to use their money.
Raising money while staying rich 101.
"Trick" is exactly right. He's a trickster.

It must drive him crazy that there are people - real billionaires - who use their own money for public projects they believe in, like Soros backing educational projects and Bloomberg backing health projects.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:41 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Or maybe Trump understands that nothing good would come of it, that the haters will just attack and attack for any reason or no reason at all. What Trump definitely understands is that you can never appease your enemies so he doesn't even try and that is what really chaps the hides of his adversaries.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:13 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanLoyalist View Post
Lol...That's why he signed a bill that gave middle class workers a tax cut and bonuses and has companies coming back to America and building here to hire more workers. Jesus just when I think I have seen the worst of the TDS here.
What bill gave bonuses, comrade?

Old 08-07-2018, 10:29 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Just curious. Many Trumpers base their support on the incorrect idea that he is a brilliant businessman who became a billionaire through his shrewd maneuverings. If this turned out not to be a lie, would you feel upset and betrayed, or would you shrug it off, like you shrug off all the other misdeeds?

I was just re-reading this, by Emily Bazelon:

In 2005, Tim O’Brien, then a financial reporter at The New York Times, published the book “TrumpNation: The Art of Being the Donald.” O'Brien talked to sources with an up-close view of Donald J. Trump’s finances, who concluded that the real-estate developer’s net worth was $150 million to $250 million, rather than the $2 billion to $5 billion Trump had variously claimed. Trump, who had courted O’Brien by taking him for rides in his Ferrari and private jet, sued O’Brien for libel in New Jersey in 2006. Trump called O’Brien a “wack job” on the “Today” show — while, O’Brien says, continuing to curry favor with him privately. O’Brien’s publisher, Warner Books, was also named in the suit and hired top lawyers who put Trump through an unsparing two-day deposition. Asked about his finances, Trump was caught lying or exaggerating 30 times. “He thought he’d get a friendly judge, and we would roll over,” says O’Brien, who is now the executive editor of Bloomberg View. “We didn’t.” The case went through four judges and was dismissed in 2009.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/22/m...-of-trump.html
Trump's a billionnaire but doesn't matter, he's killin it and making an A every day as President.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:22 PM

33,325 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
No, I don't think it would necessarily be out there.

And, to point out the obvious: No one has to release his tax returns. However, it's been the custom because most people running for president understand that a certain level of transparency indicates that you are not a "crook." It indicates there is nothing shady or shameful in the tax returns. So the natural conclusion would be that Trump does in fact have something shameful or shady in there.

Yes, you would think we were smarter than that. That's one of the worst aspects of Trump's election - the realization that there are so many gullible, mean, greedy, bigoted Americans, more than I ever dreamed.

"Trick" is exactly right. He's a trickster.

It must drive him crazy that there are people - real billionaires - who use their own money for public projects they believe in, like Soros backing educational projects and Bloomberg backing health projects.
Just curious re the bolded.

I didn't vote for Trump, but do you view people who did whose only reason for doing so was a perceived increased likelihood of paying less in taxes as greedy?

Old 08-07-2018, 11:29 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
He’s a billionaire but he hasn’t allowed his wealthy to allow him to become out of touch . His understanding of the average Anerican is why he won .
Hillary was totally out of touch.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:32 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Just curious. Many Trumpers base their support on the incorrect idea that he is a brilliant businessman who became a billionaire through his shrewd maneuverings. If this turned out not to be a lie, would you feel upset and betrayed, or would you shrug it off, like you shrug off all the other misdeeds?

I was just re-reading this, by Emily Bazelon:

In 2005, Tim O’Brien, then a financial reporter at The New York Times, published the book “TrumpNation: The Art of Being the Donald.” O'Brien talked to sources with an up-close view of Donald J. Trump’s finances, who concluded that the real-estate developer’s net worth was $150 million to $250 million, rather than the $2 billion to $5 billion Trump had variously claimed. Trump, who had courted O’Brien by taking him for rides in his Ferrari and private jet, sued O’Brien for libel in New Jersey in 2006. Trump called O’Brien a “wack job” on the “Today” show — while, O’Brien says, continuing to curry favor with him privately. O’Brien’s publisher, Warner Books, was also named in the suit and hired top lawyers who put Trump through an unsparing two-day deposition. Asked about his finances, Trump was caught lying or exaggerating 30 times. “He thought he’d get a friendly judge, and we would roll over,” says O’Brien, who is now the executive editor of Bloomberg View. “We didn’t.” The case went through four judges and was dismissed in 2009.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/22/m...-of-trump.html
Just curious ..... Do you EVER think to yourself ...... "What if I'm wrong?"

Old 08-07-2018, 11:40 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Jenkins View Post
why would a tax return show his net worth? what an ignorant statement. when people say stuff like this it makes me wonder if you have ever filed a tax return.
No kidding ..... but it makes me wonder a lot more than that about these people that call Americans who don't VOTE they way they do ..... stupid.

Particularly when WE pay their salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies