Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 04:09 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Every single day that you log in and use social media, you are agreeing to their TOS. If you do not like their TOS, stop going to those platforms. How many times does this have to be explained?
If the big social media companies are not consistently and even-handedly applying their TOS - which they clearly are not - then the FTC must intervene to regulate them and hold them accountable for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 04:09 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Just because Facebook doesn't want to host your racist screeds doesn't mean they are doing something wrong - or that you can't express your gross opinions through your own media channels.

So, they can slander, libel & defame, and you will not be able to reply back to clear your name.
Publishers are not afforded that privilege. They get sued.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:12 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
So, they can slander, libel & defame, and you will not be able to reply back to clear your name.
Publishers are not afforded that privilege. They get sued.
If you believe you signed a contract in which the other party breached the agreement you'll have to take it to an arbitrator of some sort.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:13 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
If the big social media companies are not consistently and even-handedly applying their TOS - which they clearly are not - then the FTC must regulate them and hold them accountable for that.
They. Are. A. Private. Company.

You do not have the right to use them.

You do not pay to use their platform.

There is no "free speech" rights being violated.

They have their TOS. They are private. They are not government. You are not banned from the internet. You just can't go onto their platform and say whatever you want.

This is not that difficult. greywar pointed out in another thread, which is also what sits in my mind during all of this, as well as other things, you better be very careful what you're asking for.

Remember when the Harry Reid made something a rule, and then it backfired on the Dems? Remember that?

Republicans will not always be in "power".

THINK. VERY. CLEARLY. what you're asking for.

I repeat for the hundreth time (only a slight exaggeration on that number): If you didn't agree with government being involved with the cake baker, you should not be a hypocrite and ask for government to be involved in this.

You have alternatives. You are not banned from speaking on the internet. Your rights are not being violated. You were not "sold" anything. You pay nothing.

I feel like I have to create my own new party because even the fricken people on the right are acting like IDIOTS.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:15 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
If the big social media companies are not consistently and even-handedly applying their TOS - which they clearly are not - then the FTC must intervene to regulate them and hold them accountable for that.
lololol

So much for conservative principles, eh?

Why do social media companies need to “consistently and even-handedly app[ly] their TOS� Because you said so?

Old 08-20-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Uh, no. I'm none of those. I'm a Conservative. I've been very consistent on this topic.
If so that's great. You'd be a huge exception to the rule. Stick with it through all the issues.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:16 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:

They have their TOS. They are private. They are not government. You are not banned from the internet. You just can't go onto their platform and say whatever you want.

This is not that difficult. greywar pointed out in another thread, which is also what sits in my mind during all of this, as well as other things, you better be very careful what you're asking for.

Remember when the Harry Reid made something a rule, and then it backfired on the Dems? Remember that?

I repeat for the hundreth time (only a slight exaggeration on that number): If you didn't agree with government being involved with the cake baker, you should not be a hypocrite and ask for government to be involved in this.

You have alternatives. You are not banned from speaking on the internet. Your rights are not being violated. You were not "sold" anything. You pay nothing.

I feel like I have to create my own new party because even the fricken people on the right are acting like IDIOTS.
You're right about Harry Reid. He played the short game and it came back to bite. It always does.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:

I can always recommend some literature to the path of freedom.

"Stretch out with your feelings." - Obi Wan Kenobi

Old 08-20-2018, 04:19 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Yep.

libertarians/anarchists/AnCaps/voluntarists are the only consistent voices on this topic.

100% free market. No State intervention into any voluntary exchanges between consenting parties. Goes for social media platforms, gay wedding cakes, kicking someone out of a Starbucks, etc.

If you don't like it do it yourself.

Who will join me? Libs? Cons?

Ready to be morally and logically consistent?
I agree to a certain extent...certainly with the cake and Starbucks thing (why would you give your money to someone who hates you?), but if you eliminate all corporate regulation, those with all the capital control the media, finances, etc and your access to it. It would create an even worse plutocracy than we have now.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:20 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:

I don't use them. I have never had an account at either Twitter or Facebook.

Under the current laws, they actually have to atually comply with their Terms of Service and the FTC is charged with enforcing that compliance.

Again, if they want to proclaim themselves as committed to promoting a partisan leftist agenda and opposing Trump and conservatism with all the resources they can muster, then they need to publish something that communicates that, and then nobody will have any basis for complaint.

But as long as they profess to be a facilitator of social media exchanges who is even-handed, non-partisan and non-discriminatory, then they must actually be even-handed, non-partisan and non-discriminatory in their practices. Which is pretty blatantly far removed from how they have been operating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies