Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 07:56 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
youtube is in the public domain

youtube is a media broadcasting entity... it is journalism 101

1st amendment is freedom of the press... youtube is a modern press.. people post videos of news, controversies, politics, etc

no matter how much of an idiot jones is..now matter how much he makes your blood boil...no matter what kind of garbage he spews...he is protected under the 1st amendment which very much does cover not only that idiot jones, but the media rag (journalism) of youtube
No. They are a platform. There are many Internet platforms, of which YouTube is one. City-Data is also a platform, and can censor anything and everything as they see fit per their Terms of Service (that you agreed to when you signed up).

Don't like it? Great! There are many other video streaming services on the Internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 07:57 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:

1st amendment is freedom of the press... youtube is a modern press.. people post videos of news, controversies, politics, etc

no matter how much of an idiot jones is..now matter how much he makes your blood boil...no matter what kind of garbage he spews...he is protected under the 1st amendment which very much does cover not only that idiot jones, but the media rag (journalism) of youtube
So media companies are required to carry certain content if someone demands it to be published because they are “public domain”? That’s news to me. And to decades of legal precedent.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:59 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
Some Hollywood stars are cheering on Twitter to that news like Chelsea Handler but I guess she might dislike that reply.

https://twitter.com/WoodShed204/stat...40189244481540
Violating a sites TOS has nothing to do with law. Maybe the law of the land, in this case, i.e. Youtube.

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
No one is forcing you to use Google. If you still do and still whine, you are a snowflake.
I actually agree with this. For the past year or two, I've been watching those on the right, (and some on the left) on social media pi$$ and moan about Twitter and Facebook, about YouTube taking away their means to make money (which - for me that is a whole other issue...most of these people don't deserve any money for their videos. You giving an opinion on video doesn't equate to: "deserve money for it". I make videos on YouTube (gaming ones) and I don't ask for money because IT'S NOT WORK! And calling yourself a "journalist" doesn't make you a journalist), etc, yet not a damn one of them will leave Twitter, or Facebook, or YouTube despite the fact that there are plenty of other options out there that they know about.

Those other platforms aren't as popular yet because no one wants to leave the big social media, and the reason for that is because most people on social media, left and right, are attention wh*res.

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I am not liberal and a private entity business exercising their right is a conservative stance.

Flip it around.

If.LGBTQ groups post pro gay content on godtube would you still say the same?

Your posts a built on the premise that youtube is pretty damn close to a utility. You can't even define what pretty damn close is and whether or not it rescends their right to delete content.

See if you can wrap your head around this one more time:

I don't think my personal views about YouTube or "godtube" should be enforced through the power of government.

I have the ability to separate my personal views from what should be foisted on the public via legislation.

That being said....there are all kinds of things that people have a legal right to do that they shouldn't do.

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
No. They are a platform. There are many Internet platforms, of which YouTube is one. City-Data is also a platform, and can censor anything and everything as they see fit per their Terms of Service (that you agreed to when you signed up).

Don't like it? Great! There are many other video streaming services on the Internet.
uhm…

a newspaper is a platform....
a tv broadcast is a platform

are you for banning Maddow, Cronkite(RIP), Sawyer, Hannity ets…

are you AGAINST the 1st amendment... how do you fascist liberals sit there an say ""the 1st amendment is the most important"", then turn around an spit on it????

what about those college kids back in the 2000's posting their videos about "9/11 being an inside job... liberals CHEERED, said we need to impeach and jail Bush"..... why are liberals so two-faced with these conspiracy theories... if its against a republican, its great, its the 1st amendment... if it points to a liberal..omg.. ban, boycott, potest, and violence, nope not 1st amendment protected ….

liberals the two-faced, forked tongued monster

Old 08-06-2018, 08:01 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
So media companies are required to carry certain content if someone demands it to be published because they are “public domain”? That’s news to me. And to decades of legal precedent.
does the NYT not do op-eds... that is ""carrying certain content if someone demands it to be published""

what about that NYT editorial the other day by Juong … is that not hate speech... should it be banned, the NTY fined... or is it a 1st amendment right...…

… careful how you answer

Old 08-06-2018, 08:02 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
I don't know about the laws concerning FB and YT. I don't know much about the laws concerning the internet actually.
For me it's not even about who has what right.

It's the fact that there are those celebrating the shutting down of an outlet of a man whose speech they despise and find offensive, all the while theirs is just as hateful and offensive yet they believe they should be heard.

For Chelsea Handler to celebrate this is like hell celebrating the fires in California.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:04 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:

no matter how much of an idiot jones is..now matter how much he makes your blood boil...no matter what kind of garbage he spews...he is protected under the 1st amendment which very much does cover not only that idiot jones, but the media rag (journalism) of youtube… they can NOT deny his freedom and rights to post his lousy form of journalism

what's next...people say Walter Cronkite's videos are garbage let's ban them.... nope that truly would be fascism.... banning, boycotting, protesting, violence, all tools of the fascists...
Press means news, also news agencies are are not told which stories they can cover, they are allowed to broadcast what they want. Youtube is a video platform. Also free speech has limits, it limits dangerous speech such as yelling fire in a crowded theater when there is none to incite a riot that can kill people. Alex Jones put people in danger, IF he wants to host his own site the government is not stopping him, but he will have legal consequences for putting an innocent grieving family of a child murdered as a target of other lunatics who believe his crazy conspiracy theories.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:04 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:

Don't think so. Someone explained it in this thread a little while back. Also... Just because the entity is publicly accessible doesn't mean it is no longer private...

Also no government is censoring... Alex. Jones website is still serving content. No one is entitled to resources of a private run company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies