Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 03:50 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,636,667 times

Advertisements

If there was ever a POC thread Hall of Fame this should be the first thread to be enshrined. I have read the entire thread and the hysteria over this nut job is remarkable. He repeatedly violated Youtube's TOS. If I had my way I would have banned him from the beginning for spreading misinformation that is misleading to his gullible and impressionable audience. People should be embarrassed to admit they listen to his rhetoric.

Popcorn is ready.

I hope the elimination of net neutrality takes him down completely. He deserves it especially after the damage he has done to the families of Sandy Hook and the false claims of a child sex abuse ring in the basement of a DC pizza parlor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 03:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 21 days ago)

35,689 posts, read 18,057,688 times
First they came for Infowars . . .

https://www.reddit.com/r/PoliticalHu..._for_infowars/

Old 08-07-2018, 03:57 PM

30,212 posts, read 11,874,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
I know how google makes money, thanks.

How long should google be forced to keep data they don't want on the hard drives they paid for? Indefinitely? 5 years?

Should they create a devoted warehouse that holds server racks of data they wish they could delete off of their property that they paid for but are not allowed to?

I am not suggesting Google does anything like that. You are confused.

Google can keep content as long as they want. If they want to delete data at some predetermined time frame or capacity limit fine.

The question is when social media is now the main platform for speech for many people can a publicly traded or private company dictate what speech or ideology is acceptable? I say no. How about letting verizon add some feature on all phones where before you send a text its scanned for offensive content and if found your phone account is automatically deleted? And verizon would be solely responsible for what is considered offense. Same for the other phone carriers they set up their own rules. What that be ok also? Because that is essentially what social media is doing.

I say put them under the same jurisdiction of telecom companies and let people say what they want.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:58 PM

47,020 posts, read 26,085,167 times
Terms of Service:
Quote:
Remember: You are a guest here. It is not censorship if you violate the rules and your post is deleted. All civilizations have rules and if you violate them you can expect to be ostracized from the tribe.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:04 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,841,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

Google can keep content as long as they want. If they want to delete data at some predetermined time frame or capacity limit fine.

The question is when social media is now the main platform for speech for many people can a publicly traded or private company dictate what speech or ideology is acceptable? I say no. How about letting verizon add some feature on all phones where before you send a text its scanned for offensive content and if found your phone account is automatically deleted? And verizon would be solely responsible for what is considered offense. Same for the other phone carriers they set up their own rules. What that be ok also? Because that is essentially what social media is doing.

I say put them under the same jurisdiction of telecom companies and let people say what they want.
Thanks, but I'm not confused, I just happen to understand the technological ramifications of what would be required to force a company to host content they do not want to. Did you really not know that it costs money and resources to host content? When someone loans you that capability at no cost, or even at a cost, they get to dictate the terms full stop.

If you don't like the actions of a platform don't use it.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 08-07-2018 at 04:12 PM..

Old 08-07-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
If there was ever a POC thread Hall of Fame this should be the first thread to be enshrined. I have read the entire thread and the hysteria over this nut job is remarkable. He repeatedly violated Youtube's TOS. If I had my way I would have banned him from the beginning for spreading misinformation that is misleading to his gullible and impressionable audience. People should be embarrassed to admit they listen to his rhetoric
I don't like Alex Jones at all but youtube is filled with people spreading misinformation. Look at the flat earth people all the assorted conspiracies that people peddle online. All the 9/11 related stuff. How about the Bogdanov twins. There are all these videos claiming they are controlling everything in the world and they have 400 IQ's, they are aliens, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNXVWy9JD9Q

If misleading people and spreading misinformation is the issue here then anything Bogdanov related should be removed from youtube as well as all the other misleading conspiracy stuff.

And unless you are looking to watch Alex Jones whatever nonsense he is peddling you won't see him at all. Reality is he rubs liberals the wrong way. Especially with his Sandy hook stuff and that is why they singled him out.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 08-07-2018 at 04:31 PM..

Old 08-07-2018, 04:09 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,121,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

The equivalent using your example of Verizon would be an ISP like Comcast, not a website. Are you able to call a business and say whatever you want and they HAVE to sit there and listen? Nope, they can hang up on you. Sometimes, depending on what you say, they may involve police.
There are business reasons why they may decide to stay on the line, but there is no compulsion where they cannot hang up.

Eta: There are some instances, like 911 calls. But that's not legally equivalent to getting to "call" into YouTube and they have to stay on the line with you. Whether it may be someday is another discussion, too.

Last edited by latimeria; 08-07-2018 at 04:28 PM..

Old 08-07-2018, 04:12 PM

14,569 posts, read 23,100,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is like hiding a Playboy Magazine from a 8 year old boy.
He is going to look for it and open the pages when he finds it... It is Taboo. Kids are not dumb. They know where you hide stuff.
And now, LOL @ you talking to an older millennial, acting like you know better than me what we are all about.

NEWSFLASH: As a whole, millennials downright despise the baby boomer generation. The fact that your generation is losing your mind over this is all most of us need to know that it is a good thing.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Thanks, but I'm not confused, I just happen to understand the technological ramifications of what would be required to force a company to host content they do not want to. Did you really not know that it cost money and resources to host content? When someone loans you that capability at no cost, or even at a cost, they get to dictate the terms full stop.

If you don't like the actions of a platform don't use it.

There is a cost to using google services called your privacy and information. That is a commodity that google monetizes. It is not at no cost. Since you don't pay out of pocket perhaps you don't understand that.

They have been hosting Alex Jones content for years and make a profit off of it. He has a following. They did not remove it to save a few bucks or because no one watches his content. If the criteria is videos that don't have a certain amount of views are deleted every so often fine. I am sure they already do that. But they are hosting a public communications platform and taking idealogical sides and with that is a slippery slope.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
The equivalent using your example of Verizon would be an ISP like Comcast, not a website. Are you able to call a business and say whatever you want and they HAVE to sit there and listen? Nope, they can hang up on you. Sometimes, depending on what you say, they may involve police.
There are business reasons why they may decide to stay on the line, but there is no compulsion where they cannot hang up.

No bad analogy.

Facebook, youtube and all the other social media are like a public square. In some cases even like a protest. People give their opinions. People should be afforded the same first amendment rights that they would out in public. Its the same thing just a different medium. Just because google is a public corporation instead of a public square should not give them special powers that others entities do not have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies