Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2018, 07:42 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,829,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Your understanding of section 230 and how it applies to this thread is severely lacking. Obviously you didn't read my post with an explanation.

Another example, I can use email service to commit a crime but the email service itself is not held liable. It is the users of the email service that are liable for said crime. However if I violate the TOS or use the service to spread information they don't like or want (spam for example) the email service, a private corporate, has the right to cancel delete my account.

Please try to understand and learn... This is like your 5th attempt to build a foundation for argument.
Your e-mail provider does not read your mail edit and and censor it.
Ya, it is like you cannot be charged for bank robbery, because you are already charged with stealing the get away car.

And for those that went along with this forum cannot be sued, like a led you right where I wanted you. You agreed because that is what you wanted to hear.
The truth is City Data can be sued for what is on these here forums.
People in control of things, have not hidden their bias. It is the reason Personal attacks are not tolerated. Even typing out a users name in a post can be taken the wrong way. Hit the report post, before filing the lawsuit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 07:43 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,614,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ya, it is like you cannot be charged for bank robbery, because you are already charged with stealing the get away car.
Not even close.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:44 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,631,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Wow, they finally did it.

I'm no fan of Alex Jones but this is definitely poking holes in the Right wing hornet's nest and is gonna cause problems.
I’m not either...I think he is controlled opposition personally, but the tech companies are opening themselves up to a world of trouble here similar to the fate that mainstream print and TV media finds themselves in. That is to say, mockery and irrelevancy. It is only a matter of time before the FAANG’s implode if they keep it up.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,261,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Denying gays a wedding cake is fine, denying blacks service is fine (both of which involves law breaking), but denying political figures isn't even though that don't break laws while the other two did.

I'm not suggesting Youtube should be required to carry Jone's video but this is something that is becoming a problem. You have an ever increasing amount of private companies that have a large amount of power in dictating what is available to you.

This is from email sent by Cloudflare's CEO to his employees.

Quote:
I woke up this morning in a bad mood and decided to kick them off the Internet. I called our legal team and told them what we were going to do. I called our Trust & Safety team and had them stop the service. It was a decision I could make because I’m the CEO of a major Internet infrastructure company.
Here is snippet from blog post for that CEO about the same thing:

Quote:
https://blog.cloudflare.com/why-we-t...daily-stormer/
The size and scale of the attacks that can now easily be launched online make it such that if you don't have a network like Cloudflare in front of your content, and you upset anyone, you will be knocked offline. In fact, in the case of the Daily Stormer, the initial requests we received to terminate their service came from hackers who literally said: "Get out of the way so we can DDoS this site off the Internet."

Increasing Dependence On A Few Giant Networks

In a not-so-distant future, if we're not there already, it may be that if you're going to put content on the Internet you'll need to use a company with a giant network like Cloudflare, Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon, or Alibaba.

For context, Cloudflare currently handles around 10% of Internet requests.

Without a clear framework as a guide for content regulation, a small number of companies will largely determine what can and cannot be online.
This is private company that keeps many of the sites you visit online. Whether it is some racist site, environmental site, political site or whatever they will require the services of a company like this especially if they have little funding for such things.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:49 AM

432 posts, read 671,516 times
The banning of Infowars is nothing but blatant censorship, hiding behind the fig leaf of corporate rights.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:51 AM

15,141 posts, read 10,202,659 times
Quote:
Your e-mail provider does not read your mail edit and and censor it.

And for those that went along with this forum cannot be sued, like a led you right where I wanted you. You agreed because that is what you wanted to hear.
The truth is City Data can be sued for what is on these here forums.
People in control of things, have not hidden their bias. It is the reason Personal attacks are not tolerated. Even typing out a users name in a post can be taken the wrong way. Hit the report post, before filing the lawsuit!
Man.. You simply refuse to learn.... So sad. You still haven't grasp the difference between a platform and content provider....

1st, libel, public domain, utility, 230... What's next?

Old 08-08-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Media does not have a special “license” to retract. Editorial comments are not slanderous by definition if they are pure opinion. You have no clue what you’re talking about.

Licensed Media has the protections of the retraction, redaction, and editorial corrections, to correct what was wrong in the original articles, stories, and postings. There is a measure of time placed on incorrect published, being corrected. Miss that time limit and the media can be sued for defamation & libel.

Jones corrected everything, in the allotted time.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:01 AM

15,141 posts, read 10,202,659 times
Quote:
Licensed Media has the protections of the retraction, redaction, and editorial corrections, to correct what was wrong in the original articles, stories, and postings. There is a measure of time placed on incorrect published, being corrected. Miss that time limit and the media can be sued for defamation & libel.

Jones corrected everything, in the allotted time.
I thought he was "acting"?

Anyways, I believe the media can still be sued for damages even if not by defamation or libel. I am not a lawyer so I am not sure.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Not even close.

There is anti-trust
There have been violations of 230, to create the anti-trust. Those are one in the same.

Get this, Twitters TOS is identical of those that scrubbed Jones & INFOwars.
Jones Tweets out all his content. None of it has violated Twitters TOS.

That alone is very telling.

They should have gotten a consensus. Twitters statement that Jones has not violated any of their TOS is key evidence.

And yes, I can easily prove political parties are different forms of religion. The parallels are all there, identically.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:04 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,614,594 times
Quote:
Oh? Can you cite the statute granting them this special authority?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies