Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 09:15 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Thats kind of cute that you are now going the "facts not feelings" route, since you seem to be the one bothered by the whole thing. LOL

So now that we've established that he's not getting some kind of unfair monetary adavantage for being gay, you're upset because people CARE. That's your beef? That some people care about him, and you find it irritating... or something?

Do you go into threads about any other kind of feel good public interest story and get mad at the people who care about the cat getting saved from the tree or the orphan raising money for firefighters? Does every "person overcomes adversity" piece bother you or just the ones where the subject is gay? Should the reporter have said "I was going to write a story about this kid who was going to have to turn down admission to Georgetown because his parents disowned him but somehow got saved last minute by a community rallying around him and the school coming through with funding... but I can't because the kid is GAY and therefore it's not newsworthy!!!!"

Does that seem rational to you?

Do you have a point here really?

That's what I thought.
The point is really simple: If this happened to someone who was not gay, no one would care.

This story should be ONLY about his merits as a student and Georgetown policy of paying for scholarships for needy students. All the rest? Irrelevant.

Since he IS gay, people are going out of their way to congratulate the situation. That's bigotry and prejudice, btw. Like, hey, some of my best friends are <insert minority du jour>. Congratulate me! I'm fabulously tolerant and diverse! Because the story, btw, is ONLY because he is gay. That's it. Kinda demeaning to be reduced to your gayness, doncha think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 09:24 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I wasn't arguing anything. Just trying to understand that if this is normal practice, then it really doesn't warrant any press. Kinda like, hey it's morning, the sun is up; FRONT PAGE NEWS .... SUN RISES!!!!!!!!

So why is it getting coverage? Because ... gay. Call it what it is. Facts. Not. Feelings.

People FEEL good about this. Why? Because he's gay. If he wasn't gay ... no one would care.
You obviously care because you’re posting.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:34 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
He was a co-valedictorian, honors society member, worked through school and was captain of his swim team. It appears he earned his scholarship. His gofundme is currently almost $142k
What?! Victimhood is a racket!

Do you know how many people get kicked out of their parents home at 18-19? They don't get 150k in donations.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:36 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
The point is really simple: If this happened to someone who was not gay, no one would care.
You have no idea if that's true. We've had stories about homeless students getting into elite colleges, poor kids earning admission to 57 schools LOL, single moms graduating Harvard, etc. Feel good "kid overcomes adversity and gets golden ticket to go to great school" stories happen every year. You assume there wouldn't be a story if he got disowned by his parents for marrying young or something? That's on you.

Quote:
This story should be ONLY about his merits as a student and Georgetown policy of paying for scholarships for needy students. All the rest? Irrelevant.
Says who? You? Papers will write what they think people want to read. They don't care about your immaginary rules about who or what is worthy.

Quote:
Since he IS gay, people are going out of their way to congratulate the situation. That's bigotry and prejudice, btw. Like, hey, some of my best friends are <insert minority du jour>. Congratulate me! I'm fabulously tolerant and diverse! Because the story, btw, is ONLY because he is gay. That's it. Kinda demeaning to be reduced to your gayness, doncha think?
I don't see them writing stories about every gay kid that gets into an elite college, so I'm guessing that's not the ONLY reason the story was written. So congratulating the kid for overcoming his crappy parental situation is "bigotry and prejudice" and "demeaning" now. That's a lot of pretzel logic right there. Talk about being in your feelings. LOL

I'm going to leave you alone now. You can keep punching at the air all you want, but it's clear you have no rational point to make. Carry on.

Last edited by Tinawina; 08-08-2018 at 09:53 AM..

Old 08-08-2018, 09:40 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
He was a co-valedictorian, honors society member, worked through school and was captain of his swim team. It appears he earned his scholarship. His gofundme is currently almost $142k
I am glad for him , seriously I am . Yet I feel there might be other students that could all so use that scholarship. Did he original apply and was turned down??? Did other students know that sexual orientation was grounds for a scholarship???

Old 08-08-2018, 09:41 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why would anyone want it known the reason they were given a full ride is because of who they have sex with? And if that isnt the reason, who cares?

Maybe they just want folks to know what sanctimoniously lousy parents they were born to!

Old 08-08-2018, 09:43 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
He should probably give the scholarship back now that he has all that money.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:16 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It didn't exactly happen like that. He chose to leave the home rather than continue to attend church with his family. He then was officially homeless and Georgetown would not initially amend his status so he might receive a full scholarship. His teacher started a GoFundMe to make up the difference between the partial and full scholarship. He received an excess of funds. Then he got the full scholarship.
So it wasn't until the story went public that Georgetown decided to give him a free ride? Interesting.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:20 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
It didn't exactly happen like that. He chose to leave the home rather than continue to attend church with his family. He then was officially homeless and Georgetown would not initially amend his status so he might receive a full scholarship. His teacher started a GoFundMe to make up the difference between the partial and full scholarship. He received an excess of funds. Then he got the full scholarship.
I didnt see it anywhere in the story, but I wonder if he had a job or sought one after leaving home ... a plan perhaps

Old 08-08-2018, 10:20 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Well to be fair that's oversimplifying it a bit. This church appparently teaches that its within your rights to stone a gay child. The parents had also put him through gay conversion therapy with a minister there. Sounds like the kid had hit his limits, asked if he could attend another church instead, and his parents said no - if you live here you have to attend this one. That's when he left, and his family disowned him for leaving their church.

Colleges will often take a while to recognize students who are newly estranged from their parents because they will always suspect students are trying to scam the school. The emancipation process is long, complicated and tough. My guess is they had to get a ton of people to sign letters confirming this was real in order to get the financial package changed as quickly as they did. The media coverage likely also helped get it expedited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I didnt see it anywhere in the story, but I wonder if he had a job or sought one after leaving home ... a plan perhaps
The story said he was working almost full time while in high school after he moved out.

Last edited by Tinawina; 08-08-2018 at 10:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies