Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 06:02 PM

20,842 posts, read 8,669,669 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if an interest in politics is genetic. I've had my DNA tested by 23andme but that is more of an ethnic and health breakdown, not genealogical. A relative who traced one side of my family said we are related to a minor Irish revolutionary figure. Otherwise, the only famous people were two Scottish writers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 06:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,299,449 times
Nope. Mine were just regular old slaves in this country and were probably just regular tribesmen in Africa where they came from. Either farmers or hunter/gatherers. I’m Igbo, Ewe, Akan and Mandinka, according to a DNA test taken by my sister.

My grandfather was on the USS North Hampton when the Japanese sunk it, and he obviously survived (since I’m here), but that’s as remarkable as it gets.

Ahhh...one more thing! I have a great uncle that went to fight for France in WW1 and although he never came back to the United States to live, he survived the war and his progeny still live in Marseille.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:15 PM

5,516 posts, read 9,523,843 times
I'm a distant cousin of William McKinley.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:15 PM

4,051 posts, read 2,739,436 times
Per a great-aunt's research, my mom's family is descended from King George III, so...…..yeah.

Though as an aside, the proper response to this news is apparently *not*, "Oh, the crazy one? That explains a lot about this family." That comment will get you sent to a room.

Not that I know from personal experience or anything...….

Old 08-08-2018, 06:30 PM

37,293 posts, read 19,304,467 times
One of my Great x? uncles was the second Governor of Virginia. Direct ancestors, no, but the first one I know of in South Carolina was a mate on a privateer who was charged with piracy in 1692. Three or four of the men on the ship with him were heavy hitters whose surnames appear all over Charleston today - Thomas Pinckney was one of them. Another one was Daniel Horry, for whom Horry County (Myrtle Beach) is named.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:35 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,724,101 times
Salvatore Ferragamo is part of our (my moms) family (no, I didn't see a cent)...
https://www.ferragamo.com/shop/us/en.../palazzo--5494

He is a historical figure, being the shoemaker to Marilyn Monroe, Greta Garbo and many more.
He immigrated to the US and lived and worked in the Italian North End of Boston....then went to visit a relative out west and the rest is history. It's a billion dollar plus empire.

My SIL (so not my blood) has hundreds of historical and political figures in his family from the MA and Ri area - including the Wards (battle hymn of the Republic) as well as many figures who were here before the USA was the USA.

My fathers side, who we thought had been ground into the dust (Holocaust) has been discovered through the magic of DNA. I was asked not to disclosed all the info yet, but it turns out I am direct line from really famous religious figures right back into the middle ages in Ukraine area...and perhaps back to King David (definitely historical and political)....this has been confirmed by multiple DNA tests, but realistically we will probably only get the accurate records back to about 1400.

My wife is currently into this as a hobby, but these connections were discovered by researchers (pro) and geneticists who then got in touch with us and had me take addition DNA tests in order for them to be more specific.

It's fairly exciting because I somewhat knew our family attitude had to come from somewhere.

The sadder parts of that story are that we found books (in NYC library, etc.) with eyewitness accounts of many of the atrocities. It does makes things sorta personal, although I hold nothing against Russians, Poles and especially Germans (who have changed more than the former two)....

Old 08-08-2018, 06:53 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,788,582 times
According to a book on the genealogy of my mother's mother's father's family, William the Conqueror was my 42nd great grandfather. Likely everyone here is descended from some famous old dude. It is thought that almost all people of European ancestry are the grandkids of Charlemagne .

Old 08-08-2018, 07:03 PM

10,069 posts, read 15,749,849 times
One of my ancestors was a Governor of New Hampshire and signer of the Constitution.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:31 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,662,294 times
Yes.
My grandfather appears in the wikipedia in about 20 languages.
For some weird coincidence my wife grandfather also.
Not, they are not the same person.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:42 PM

639 posts, read 250,190 times
Infamous yes,was intimately involved in the Emmett Till case. Other than that not that I know of really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies