Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 01:33 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
And then Flynn promptly pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate.
Yeah ... amazing!

Innocent guy, asked trick questions, pleads guilty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 01:37 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,318 times
52 U.S. Code § 30121 - Contributions and donations by foreign nationals:
(a) ProhibitionIt shall be unlawful for—
(1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make—
(A) a contribution or donation of money OR OTHER THING OF VALUE, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election;
(B) a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party; or
(C) an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement for an electioneering communication (within the meaning of section 30104(f)(3) of this title); or
(2) A PERSON TO SOLICIT, ACCEPT, OR RECEIVE a contribution or donation described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) from a foreign national.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:37 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Trump would be lying the second he took the oath to tell the truth.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:39 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I think Mueller should quit screwing around and just slap Trump with a subpoena and be done with it. Sure, it will be fought but I'm not sure that's the way Republicans want to go into the mid-terms, with their main guy tied up in a constitutional skirmish. It might stir up the base but I think most folks believe that a President is not above the law and must answer to a subpoena.

YMMV
I agree!

Old 08-09-2018, 01:46 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Honesty, I think his greatest fear is that somehow this will all lead to his financials being exposed in some manner. The Oz curtain being pulled back as it were...
It must be something like that.

I don't think Trump approached the Russians, the Russians approached Trump, or his organization.

Trump was highly motivated to accept (for a variety of reasons he is unwilling to make public), and he did. It might have taken him a few minutes to think it over.

He was not forced. Whatever компрома́т the Russians may have did not motivate him. It was the flow of money, lot's of it. Cutting off his source of funds and making it impossible to pass dividends back to his Russian backers put a serious kink in his operations and upset his investors bigly.

Obama placed sanctions on Russia and earned Trump's undying ire. Trump accepted help offered from his Russian 'friends', knowing it had to be kept under wraps. It must have dismayed him a great deal when Sally Yates walked into his office and briefed him on what was already known, with more to come ...

Old 08-09-2018, 02:07 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
The investigation/circus will undoubtedly continue for years I expect because that's what happened with Ken Starr's probe into the Clintons. These things seem to drag on forever. The result will likely be the same: Jack squat on the actual issues the special investigator was sent to look for, but some sideshow might lead to Congress voting on impeachment proceedings or something. We've got a growing precedent forming that once you win a Presidential election, then an investigation on you is required as part and parcel to taking office.

Trump is doing one better than Clinton. He's not putting himself in a place where he can get caught lying under oath. There's a reason they call it a perjury trap. Heck, I don't think he's bothering to deny that he had sexul relations with ... well a lot of different women, but Stormy Daniels for one. Mueller needs a new plan because he can't seem to walk Trump into a perjury trap like Starr did to Clinton.

Ah Bubba Bill, we were all so innocent before you happened to us. If the President was banging some chick in the Oval Office, at least nobody knew about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD7cEEKbyic

Old 08-09-2018, 02:14 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
You can lie under oath and not commit perjury. You folks trying to make it sound like its a trap because Mueller is looking for some mis-statement on Trumps part are unhinged.

Perjury requires a intent to deceive AND a lie. Lets say I witness a robbery, and I claim under oath that the Robber had brown hair, and blue eyes. When the video of the robbery is reviewed it turns out that he has blue hair and brown eyes. Despite having given false information under oath, I am not guilty of perjury.

If Trump gets dates wrong, etc...its not perjury. If he gets dates wrong with the intent to hide a crime....he has. Much like obstruction, there has to be intent.

So those thinking Trump is trying to avoid a trap where he makes a mis-statement you should stop listening to nonsense. Thats not the trap.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:15 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
President Trump’s attorney once predicted that Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation would be done by Christmas — of 2017. When Rudolph W. Giuliani joined the team in April, he predicted a resolution within “a week or two.” And Wednesday, as news broke of Trump’s legal team yet again rejecting Mueller’s offer of terms for a Trump interview, Giuliani yet again optimistically pegged the end date at Sept. 1.
All these efforts to set end dates have looked foolish in retrospect, so you have to think the fact that people like Giuliani keep predicting them is because their client demands it and they’re just trying to pacify him and his desire to be rid of the whole thing.
The Mueller-Trump interview drama may be coming to a head
Goes to show that a NO-IQ-IMBECILE like Trump doesn't even have the capacity to pick quality attorneys! Yet he proclaims himself to be so smart....O-M-G that is so hilarious!
Giuliani should have a sock stuffed in his mouth. He's not helping and he's really embarrassing himself by being inaccurate and incorrect about the law so often that the question is--is he senile or just ignorant?

Trump cannot be interviewed by Mueller because he will not (and probably cannot tell the truth--he just cannot do it). Or the truth may, in fact, be that he has participated in criminal activities. He could try to claim that like his "wonderful son", Lil Donny, he accidentally wandered into breaking the law. I am pretty sure that ignorance of the law is no excuse, and they'd be idiots to claim ignorance, but they might try.

What Trump's attorneys do not know is what the other witnesses and accused (guilty and not guilty) have told Mueller, so his lies wouldn't get him very far (I think that is the perceived 'trap'--he does not know what Mueller knows and he's a pathological liar). Of course he would perjure himself.

I don't believe all that bs about 'wanting to wrap it up quickly.' They are counting on Mueller halting the investigation during the mid-terms, and hope that by the time they are over, the Trump posse will have more time to smear Mueller by continuing with their reign of lies and insults. How about the one where Trump accuses Mueller of bias over a golf membership--that was hilarious. The ravings of a desperate man who knows what he has done.

The fact is that Mueller is much more intelligent and knowledgeable than Trump, and Trump is scared of him. He looks cowardly, dishonest and weak by refusing to be questioned. Trump knows Mueller will win if he does the right thing and is interviewed, so he'd rather take the mud-slinging, smearing route because he knows the cult will follow and repeat.

And there is, of course, the strong possibility that he's guilty. Innocent people usually want a chance to tell their story.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:17 PM

37,170 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The investigation/circus will undoubtedly continue for years I expect because that's what happened with Ken Starr's probe into the Clintons. These things seem to drag on forever. The result will likely be the same: Jack squat on the actual issues the special investigator was sent to look for, but some sideshow might lead to Congress voting on impeachment proceedings or something. We've got a growing precedent forming that once you win a Presidential election, then an investigation on you is required as part and parcel to taking office.

Trump is doing one better than Clinton. He's not putting himself in a place where he can get caught lying under oath. There's a reason they call it a perjury trap. Heck, I don't think he's bothering to deny that he had sexul relations with ... well a lot of different women, but Stormy Daniels for one. Mueller needs a new plan because he can't seem to walk Trump into a perjury trap like Starr did to Clinton.

Ah Bubba Bill, we were all so innocent before you happened to us. If the President was banging some chick in the Oval Office, at least nobody knew about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD7cEEKbyic
Great example. As I recall, Bill was subpoenaed and gave testimony.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:22 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,394,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Trump would be lying the second he took the oath to tell the truth.
That makes zero sense. Like the rest of lib logic and morality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies