Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 11:48 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,968,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Uh, please put it in context....????

The Bush cuts were laid out for many years...far longer than his reign. Of course, they never should have been made in the first place (they were paid out of debt and deficit) and, even if made, he should have rolled them back as soon as we went to war or after 9/11.

But without finding you the exact links.....I seem to remember a GOP Congress..and the Congress makes law, right? And also Obama attempted a Grand Bargain, right? And the GOP wouldn't have it, correct???

I remember lots of stuff. And even when Obama compromised (remember that word?) with the GOP big spenders, some parts of the tax cut were rolled back....Remember?

Do you actually know this stuff, or are you catering to those who like 5 word answers???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_...d_States,_2011)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...ity_and_Reform

Obama gave it many shots...unfortunately neither the part in charge (usually the GOP) nor the Dems would go for it. That's the way our system works.

I suppose he could have, like Trump, declared a National Emergency and signed an EO to raise taxes.
Wait wasn't Obama lambasted for his EOs yet Trump is cheered for his use of it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 10:59 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,965,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Almost 1/2 of America own stocks, and benefit from the lower capital gains taxes. They usually buy stocks with money AFTER it's been taxed as ordinary income.

Your narrative that it's just billionaires who benefit from favorable long term capital gains tax holds as much water as a sieve.

The top earners pay a vastly disproportionate amount of tax, while the bottom 50% a bunch of dead weight freeloaders. Yet you still want to steal more from them.

How patriotic of you to disparage 175 Million American workers---you seem quite brainwashed. The only "dead weight free loaders" are the greedy parasitic banksters---over $4 TRILLION of OUR US Dollar created out of thin air for "stimulus programs" and bailouts. Absolutely disgusting-and yes this was all intentional. Soon, the majority of Americans will be wage slaves if not already. And people like you cheer on the destruction of the nation and the once largest Middle Class in history.

The Federal Reserve and their banking affiliates deemed "too big to fail or jail" are a complete cancer on this country--nothing more than parasites extracting wealth from the real economy. Sad how people don't see it.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:06 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,843,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
How patriotic of you to disparage 175 Million American workers---you seem quite brainwashed. The only "dead weight free loaders" are the greedy parasitic banksters---over $4 TRILLION of OUR US Dollar created out of thin air for "stimulus programs" and bailouts. Absolutely disgusting-and yes this was all intentional. Soon, the majority of Americans will be wage slaves if not already. And people like you cheer on the destruction of the nation and the once largest Middle Class in history.

The Federal Reserve and their banking affiliates deemed "too big to fail or jail" are a complete cancer on this country--nothing more than parasites extracting wealth from the real economy. Sad how people don't see it.

Lol. The Banksters represent a TINY minuscule fraction of the 1%.

But you support a system were the 1% (mostly working stiffs) pay 25% of all federal taxes, while the bottom 50% contribute NOTHING, all while taking the most (in terms of handouts).

Go after the banksters all you like, but stop pretending the 1% are the ones who take more than they give.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:

But you support a system were the 1% (mostly working stiffs) pay 25% of all federal taxes, while the bottom 50% contribute NOTHING, all while taking the most (in terms of handouts).

Go after the banksters all you like, but stop pretending the 1% are the ones who take more than they give.
I said nothing about 1%-I agree that many in the "1%" are workers that contribute to society and the economy-Doctors, Business Owners, Engineers, etc.

I am referring to a group of people maybe 3,000 strong-they contribute nothing to society or the economy yet own and control our Government and Central Bank. They are living and breathing parasites, extracting wealth from the producers in our economy. It has nearly destroyed our economy and our entire way of life.

Yet people are seemingly afraid to call it out, or defer the conversation into something else. No-they are a cancer and need to be tried for treason and rotted out of the nation for good.

And what makes you think I support income taxes at all? The IRS and federal income taxes were created along with the Federal Reserve in 1913-it all needs to go. The parasites that conspired to create this system still are operating banks that control more of our economy than ever before. Similar things happened during the Great Depression (bank consolidation and monopolization of wealth) and it was many of the same banks that grew richer and to control more of the economy back then.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:17 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,327,824 times
Quote:

You say "take the most" but with that you do not include things like the wars, that the lower classes in general sacrifice their lives for so the upper crust can enjoy a third house.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:21 AM

18,874 posts, read 8,527,480 times
Quote:

They did save the banks after the crash through lending and money creation/debt swaps (QE). Had to be done IMO, but there certainly should have been jail for some. They don't extract as much wealth as their policies have set interest rates low. They do create easier conditions for the wealthy to get wealthier through cheap borrowing and stock asset inflation. The middle class can also participate there, but of course their resources are much smaller.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:24 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,853,341 times
Eh, I wasn't middle class in 2007 but was by 2016. I was not wealthy at all but my investments that I've had since the early 2000s didn't do as poorly as other peoples when the recession hit and since the real estate market collasped we were able to buy property very cheap and build a portfolio of rental properties with a 401k loan.

I also got a better job in 2010 and by 2016 I made nearly $40k more than I did in 2010 in my regular career.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Eh, I wasn't middle class in 2007 but was by 2016. I was not wealthy at all but my investments that I've had since the early 2000s didn't do as poorly as other peoples when the recession hit and since the real estate market collasped we were able to buy property very cheap and build a portfolio of rental properties with a 401k loan.

I also got a better job in 2010 and by 2016 I made nearly $40k more than I did in 2010 in my regular career.
That's great and all-but your personal situation really has nothing to do with majority trends and figures in the economy.
I could talk about how well I'm doing and how I bought a house in 2011 that has increased in value over 100% but that has absolutely nothing to do with the big picture and the reality for most Americans.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,853,341 times
Quote:
That's great and all-but your personal situation really has nothing to do with majority trends and figures in the economy.
I could talk about how well I'm doing and how I bought a house in 2011 that has increased in value over 100% but that has absolutely nothing to do with the big picture and the reality for most Americans.

Most Americans are fine today and were in 2016

Main ones that weren't interestingly enough were black people in America whose home values still have not risen back to pre-2008 levels even after all this time.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:35 AM

18,874 posts, read 8,527,480 times
Quote:
I think you are both very important anecdotes. The 2008 crash created the best buy low investment opportunity in my life time. It could move people and families up a notch in a decade. Worked for me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies