Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 02:51 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Forcing someone to join a union or pay dues even if they don't is extortion.
How old are you? No snark intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 02:58 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Right to work = Right to get fired.

I get the idea of liberty but since workers rely on a steady income to live, I believe the government should regulate when and why businesses can fire their employees. Libertarians will scream at me, but that's the way I feel.
in your opinion when is it okay to fire an employee, would it be dependent on the phases of the moon?

Old 08-09-2018, 03:03 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Congratulations to Missouri. It was past time that Right to Work as a scam promoted by the corporate side was exposed. They lost a lot of money advertising for the No side.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90215719...-right-to-work

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/e...216333795.html

Old 08-09-2018, 03:08 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Missouri Overwhelmingly Rejects Right to Work

That was great news. Kudos to the people of Missouri.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:27 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Aha. The repetitive corporate propaganda...…..

Old 08-09-2018, 04:16 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Votes over man, MO's citizens have made their will known not sure what this civil war era future fantasy stuff is coming from but if you're going to go there at least have them riding on dragons and maybe add in some killer robots. That'd be pretty sweet.
There will be future referendums. With border ruffian drones and abolitionist robots.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:24 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Nobody is forced to join the union. There are plenty of non-union jobs to choose from. Private sector jobs are now only about 6% unionized. And with the Janus decision, those in public sector jobs no longer have to join the union.

Having worked in private sector union jobs, RTW never made sense to me, and I am a conservative Republican. It might sound good (how could an additional 'right' be a bad thing?) but if you examine the details, it's not so good. The devil is always in the details.

The union negotiates the CBA, which covers everything from wages to vacations to disciplinary procedures to working conditions. Not being in the union is like saying you want to go to work for Walmart but you want to follow the Target employee handbook.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:36 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Democrat Logic
  • Say they are against Corporations hiring/firing their employees.
  • So they vote to give Union bosses power to do this instead
Has to be seen to be believed.

(There's a reason that many people in that state pronounce it as "Misery")
Typical Trumpling who doesn't think about what they're about to write. Since when are democrats "against" companies hiring people? Yes, that's what you just said.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:54 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
I don't like unions or even the concept of them. But this issue goes far beyond what the personal preferences of someone like me might be. The decline of the Unions has brought about an era of uncontrolled power by big business and corporations. The fact is, that as the unions go, so goes it for everyone, except for the wealthy. When it comes down to a choice for me, to support either the unions or the corporations, I have to put aside my lifelong disdain and recognize that unions provide an essential check on the unlimited greed and power, the corporations would seize, if left unopposed. I see the overwhelming vote in Missouri, as a shot across the bow, of the Right-wingers who have been fantasizing about gaining dictatorial powers.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:14 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,538,761 times
I’m not sure about the specifics, but conversations I’ve had with people who know say that part of the credit/blame for allowing Missourians to even have the opportunity to vote down the legislation lies with former green beret/governor Greitens, who was in such a hurry to celebrate his first legislative win (in 2017, before 50 Shades of Greitens Camry to light) by hurriedly signing it into law...which gave the unions time to mount their petition campaign to overturn the law.

I’d always heard that smart Missouri governors waited until the last minute to sign potentially controversial legislation into law until the last minute, to avoid this very possibility. But Greitens, the Rhodes Scholar, was too smart to hire any wise old heads for his brain trust. Instead, he hired a 21-year old (well, he’s 22 now) to be his chief of staff, and an admittedly hot young (30) woman to be his general counsel. This election may well never have happened, had either one of these young’uns known to suggest to the Governor to wait for his victory lap until it was too late for the unions to undo his new law.

But they didn’t, Governor 50 Shades is toast (he couldn’t even vote in the Tuesday election since he’s still registered to vote in Jeff), and it’s more evidence that experience and treachery beats youth and enthusiasm every time.

Personally, I deliberately didn’t vote in the referendum part of the election because I could see merit in both sides, but voted n every other election...I’m old enough, and Boone County is small enough, for me to know many of the candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies