Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 06:23 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I love hearing pro-Trump/pro-tariff yuks trying to justify government intervention and manipulation of market capitalism and on the other hand routinely bash democrats for government intervention and manipulation.

The irony is so delicious.
Well...

Trump is not pro-Tariff, and I doubt that many of his supporters are, either.

Trump has suggested zero tariffs, and implementing tariffs temporarily is his tool for bringing our trading partners to the table.

But, you know this, right?

So, your post demonstrates either ignorance or deliberate misrepresentation. Which is it?

Old 08-12-2018, 07:18 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Well...

Trump has suggested zero tariffs, and implementing tariffs temporarily is his tool for bringing our trading partners to the table.
Trump also said Mexico would pay for the wall. And he said healthcare would be cheaper. And he said he wouldn't have time to play golf. And he said North Korea isn't a nuclear threat.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:37 PM

19,771 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Well...

So, your post demonstrates either ignorance or deliberate misrepresentation. Which is it?
Do we have tarrifs, yes or no?

That’s called market manipulation.

You lose.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:40 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Last I heard, Trump was buying them off with $12 billion in farm subsidies.

Lobster fisherman and aluminum manufacturers are also seeking subsidies.
So Trump’s crazy trade war is going to cost the American taxpayer billions of dollars. SAD!

Old 08-12-2018, 09:48 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The dairy farmers are feeling the tariffs too. All excess milk was being made into cheese and sold to Canada, the tariffs stopped that. Now dairy farmers are reducing herds, so next will be milk shortages resulting in higher dairy prices for Americans. Some of our local dairy farmers are getting out of the business, completely.
Every problem farmers had or were having anyway are now blamed on tariffs. I doubt dairy tariffs have even been collected. And if tariffs are so bad, how come Canada has it all over the map, including 270% on dairy. How come they don't suffer?

Old 08-12-2018, 09:59 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Elections have consequences!
2016 election sure did have consequences—all bad.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:31 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
2016 election sure did have consequences—all bad.
Not bad for billionaires and corporations. They got massive tax cuts and are now allowed to spew toxins into the air and water to save a buck. Rural people will be impacted when they can no longer eat the fish they catch in their local lakes, because the pollutants in the air and water can travel thousands of miles and can pollute formerly pristine lakes and rivers.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:42 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
we are going to make your life better, first we have to cut into your flesh, infuse fluids and then remove the tumor.

patient refuses life saving operation because incision will leave a scar!
Interesting analogy. I wonder if I could get you to comment on mine. I have a small business that has also been hurt by tariff changes. I wrote to a very pro-Trump friend:

"Whatever changes Donald manages to make from all this, I will never buy into the notion that terrorism (purposely increasing harm until change is effected) is the best way to accomplish it. I don’t get any farmer bailout money."

He was mildly offended that I would equate Donald's "leveling the playing field" with "terrorism".

Thoughts?

Old 08-13-2018, 03:28 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times

Jul 27, 2018 - Soybean futures closed higher Friday on optimism about demand after a positive export sales report and a trade deal with the European Union.

From the WSJ:

3 days ago-The U.S. Department of Agriculture forecast on Friday that U.S. soybean production in 2018-’19 would rise to an all-time high of 4.6 billion bushels, up from 4.4 billion bushels a year earlier and more than analysts expected. Soybean yields also are due to rise from the previous year.

So, the real reason soybean futures have "plunged" is due to the fact that there is a surplus of soybeans on the market because of an all-time high record crop.

It's Supply & Demand. If Supply exceeds Demand, prices drop.

Tariffs are not the issue here, despite attempts to spin the matter.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:36 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:
Well...

In other words: Judge people by what they say but not on what they do.

"Honey, I really hated cheating on you. Cheating on you is just a way for me to find out how awesome you are compared to the other fishes in the seas." Yes, this should go over well with her.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies