Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 12:56 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times

Advertisements

Anyone who can't look past a person's political affiliation has already lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 12:58 PM

24,596 posts, read 9,434,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Anyone who can't look past a person's political affiliation has already lost.
Anyone who looks past the statistics has already lost.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:58 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Agreed, it’s like black people aren’t allowed to think for themselves. They must all vote the same way and support the same failed liberal politicians.

Black people aren’t allowed to look in the mirror either. Nope, we’re perfect. Every time a black guy shoots another black guy it was the fault of a white person somehow

This must be what Ben Carson, Colin Powell, Clarence Thomas, and Condi Rice feel like 24/7.
This is quite illuminating:

"How white liberals really view black voters"

https://youtu.be/rrBxZGWCdgs

I'm on the fence, politically. Most of my friends are white liberals. They mean well. Sigh.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:59 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Im black, clearly you didn’t read the end of the original post.

Sorry for the breaking news. I’m also libertarian not republican
My apologies to you. I was wrong assuming 100% of the C-D conservatives were white. It's probably around 90% instead. Pn the other hand, since you're not a white conservative, I don't guess I was mentioning you in the comment I made about "White Republicans casting shadow on a black Democrat president and acting as an authority" etc., etc.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:00 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,065,317 times
I’m black and when Obama was elected I was still a child but my family as a whole moved up from living in a starter home that cost 150,000 dollars to a house that cost 850,000 during the Obama era years. I count it on my parents good saving/ money management skills but they were extremely encouraged by Obama’s election being Africans and Black. About the broader Houston area black community. The murder rate in Houston went from a high of 377 in 2006 to a low of 198 in 2011 (Houston’s metro population increased by several hundred thousand during this period as well and the city was completely unaffected by this immense growth in the number of people). This was during the Obama years. The population of Katy has exploded and especially the Black population in my zip code 77494 which is an upper middle class zip code went from 6% black and 3,800 blacks roughly in 2010 to 9% black and 8,600 blacks estimated in 2016 and its only gotten wealthier since then.

Even the “killing fields” of Chicago has seen huge drops in rates of murder since the 1980s and 1990s. Clearly their has been significant drops.

Now I don’t associate this to Obama but to me at least violent crime wise Blacks have definitely made progress.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:01 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:

Did Obama not campaign on "change?" What changed in the black community? He did have 8 years.

The statistics and current state of the black community speaks for itself. Obama is a millionaire with daughters in Harvard, southside Chicago is a war zone, change you can believe in I guess.

Please show specifically where he campaigned on "change" for the black community and not simply change for America?

Old 08-12-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
This is quite illuminating:

"How white liberals really view black voters"

https://youtu.be/rrBxZGWCdgs

I'm on the fence, politically. Most of my friends are white liberals. They mean well. Sigh.
Interesting video, thanks for sharing, I’d put my money on seeing more black conservatives like Ben Carson and Colin Powell as the black community realizes their loyalty to liberals aren’t leading to results.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Please show specifically where he campaigned on "change" for the black community and not simply change for America?
You means besides his countless speeches addressing black issues like Trayvon and Henry Gates during his 8 years?

So the election of the first black president in history and the massive celebrations that followed, didn’t imply a change in racial harmony in America or among black Americans?

Wow, the election of Obama really was worthless. We all celebrated for nothing.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:08 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
[quote=Rocko20;52778671]Liberals continues to believe the election of Obama made a difference for minorities. Obama's 8 years of presidency made no significant difference or change in the lives of people of color, particularly African Americans, despite his campaign of change and hope.

Why? Well the the left is still whining about how unfair capitalism is, how they hate the free market, the massive oppression, racism, discrimination, and inequality in America that for some strange reason hasn't led to a mass emigration of Americans into Canada yet.

Well, I am a liberal. And as much as it may shock you, I agree with the first paragraph of your statement. I don't think there was improvement in the basic racism of this country whole Obama was president. Remember when people stated that we were "post racial" just after his election?... WAY premature and overly optimistic. In fact, I think those years saw an uptick in racism that resulted in the election of Trump.

I think there was a portion of the country who saw Obama's election as a travesty because he was black. They sought all kinds of ways to say he really wasn't American because having a regular American black person as president was just unacceptable. It also made lots of people wake up to the fact that the demographics of the country were actually changing and that lots of "browns" (people of color) were populating the country, that the whites would, at some point, be a minority. There was a "Oh My God" reaction that we have to get back to the America of the 50s, where white men were in charge and always had the advantage. So here comes Trump to fulfill their dreams of "Make America Great Again," which is code for "Make America White Again," and specifically white male. Sure, there were other complicating factors, but I think that's the biggest part of this. Laura Ingram said as much the other day: the changing "demographics" of the country are too much to bear, and we have to DO SOMETHING.

So I agree that, while having Obama as president may have been a boost to the black community, the country as a whole did not make progress toward racial harmony, no matter how hard Obama (or anyone else) tried.

I would also disagree with your characterization of "whining" about the problems we see. It is incumbant on all patriotic Americans to work toward a "more perfect union." If we see oppression, racism, discrimination and inequality damaging the Pursuit of Happiness in this country, we are obligated to speak out and try to change things. It is not whining. The US has never practiced pure capitolism, and has always mixed in social support to greater or lesser degrees. It is up to us to find a balance: keeping capitolism, while rounding the sharp edges that hurt people. We always have to balance the pursuit of profit with the maintenance of human rights and justice.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:11 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,093,243 times
not only did Obama not improve racial equality, he made it worse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies