Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 10:23 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
You might have heard that the Turkish currency, the lira, is hitting record lows and that this will cause much financial pain for Turkey. I am enjoying this and cheering for the things to get even worse.

Why do I want Turkish financial meltdown? Because the Turkish people rejected secularism for an Islamist government. Turkey used to be the most secular Muslim country in the world. As a secularist I loved that version of Turkey. When I see pictures of Turkish women wearing hijabs it makes me furious because for many decades it was unheard of for Turkish women to cover themselves. Knowing how much Turkey has changed, all for the worse, makes me strongly dislike Turkey. Now I am cheering this currency crisis...it is very exciting to me and I feel the Turks definitely deserve it for rejecting secularism.

The hard part of this is the Turkish citizens are the ones that will suffer. The leaders will just raise taxes to keep their own finery. I don"t wish the Turkish people any ill will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 11:01 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,565 times
Quote:
You might have heard that the Turkish currency, the lira, is hitting record lows and that this will cause much financial pain for Turkey. I am enjoying this and cheering for the things to get even worse.

Why do I want Turkish financial meltdown? Because the Turkish people rejected secularism for an Islamist government. Turkey used to be the most secular Muslim country in the world. As a secularist I loved that version of Turkey. When I see pictures of Turkish women wearing hijabs it makes me furious because for many decades it was unheard of for Turkish women to cover themselves. Knowing how much Turkey has changed, all for the worse, makes me strongly dislike Turkey. Now I am cheering this currency crisis...it is very exciting to me and I feel the Turks definitely deserve it for rejecting secularism.
Because you like seeing innocent people suffer?

Thanks for telling everyone what kind of person you are

Old 08-13-2018, 12:44 AM

193 posts, read 92,973 times
Quote:

Dude, have you even been to Turkey? I was in Istanbul very recently and I can't imagine it was ever more secular than it is right now. The vast majority of the women there do not wear hijab and the city is full of clubs, bars and prostitutes. Did you know that prostitution is even legal there? Meanwhile here in the U.S. strippers get arrested for touching patrons.

If you go to the rural parts of the country, however, it will be more conservative and you will find a higher percentage of women wearing hijabs. That would have been the case even before the AKP took over. Just like in the U.S., the rural areas are more conservative and religious and the urban areas are more liberal and secular.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:50 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,052 times
Quote:

You must be thrilled by the prospect of even more refugees coming to Europe as a result of this crisis.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:29 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Because you like seeing innocent people suffer?

Thanks for telling everyone what kind of person you are
If they believe in fundamentalist Islam and all that goes with it such as oppressing women, mutilating their genitals, etc they are not as innocent as you think. If you support this you are not the good person you think you are..this goes to everyone who is critical of me.

My wishing means nothing...I have no control whatsoever over Turkish currency. Instead of judging me you should start judging the Islamic leaders who oppress women, throw gays off bridges etc. For the record I am sure there are millions of Turks who do prefer secularism and don't want to see their country become an Islamic state...for this population I have nothing but love and am sorry they have to go through this fiscal crisis.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
You must be thrilled by the prospect of even more refugees coming to Europe as a result of this crisis.
That's Europe's fault for letting them in. They are choosing to kill off Western Civilization which is a tragedy. Thankfully a couple of countries such as Poland and Hungary are keeping their wonderful culture and value system by not admitting the refugees.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:41 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
The hard part of this is the Turkish citizens are the ones that will suffer. The leaders will just raise taxes to keep their own finery. I don"t wish the Turkish people any ill will.

A lot of Turkishg people don't like Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, hence the uprising.

Erdoğan is very much a Putin type leader, and the Turkish elections were marred by allegations of electoral fraud and corruption.

To blame every Turk for their leader is no better than blaming every American for their leaders or every Russian for Putin, or indeeed any other nationality for their leader.

Erdoğan supporters deserve what is curently happening but those that detest Erdoğanand his regime don't.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell jin View Post
Dude, have you even been to Turkey? I was in Istanbul very recently and I can't imagine it was ever more secular than it is right now. The vast majority of the women there do not wear hijab and the city is full of clubs, bars and prostitutes. Did you know that prostitution is even legal there? Meanwhile here in the U.S. strippers get arrested for touching patrons.

If you go to the rural parts of the country, however, it will be more conservative and you will find a higher percentage of women wearing hijabs. That would have been the case even before the AKP took over. Just like in the U.S., the rural areas are more conservative and religious and the urban areas are more liberal and secular.
That's good to hear. I do follow some Turkish women on Instagram and they do not cover themselves at all. I would say they dress sexier and sl*ttier than most American women. I was confused when I saw that because I have read literally hundreds of articles about how Turks voted in fundamentalism and how the country is shifting very strongly against their secular tradition. If all these articles are wrong and misleading that explains how I got the wrong impression...but you would think they have to be based on something factual going on.

Anyway if most Turks don't want Saudi style Wahhabism
Coming to their country then I don't wish them any financial suffering and am sorry they have to live through a severe currency devaluation. Like I said earlier my wishing one way or another means nothing...there are powerful forces in play here and I'm certainly not one of them. I appreciate your info...it has made me reevaluate things.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:04 AM

A few of you here have recently traveled to Turkey and say it is nothing like I imagine...especially Istanbul and other larger cities. Like I told cell jin I based my opinion on articles I read but perhaps they exaggerated the shift away from secularism. Anyway what you wrote did have influence on me and I now wish the best for the Turkish people and hope this fiscal crisis can be resolved soon somehow. Turkey sounds like a fascinating place to me because it is Muslim yet obviously must have some strong Western influences...I have a hunch it would be my favorite Muslim country to visit....once this crisis passes.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:11 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
That's good to hear. I do follow some Turkish women on Instagram and they do not cover themselves at all. I would say they dress sexier and sl*ttier than most American women. I was confused when I saw that because I have read literally hundreds of articles about how Turks voted in fundamentalism and how the country is shifting very strongly against their secular tradition. If all these articles are wrong and misleading that explains how I got the wrong impression...but you would think they have to be based on something factual going on.

Anyway if most Turks don't want Saudi style Wahhabism
Coming to their country then I don't wish them any financial suffering and am sorry they have to live through a severe currency devaluation. Like I said earlier my wishing one way or another means nothing...there are powerful forces in play here and I'm certainly not one of them. I appreciate your info...it has made me reevaluate things.
And now we have it: the key issue for Jay is not that he's interested in international policy, but that he just wants to see more scantily clad women.

Posting history is relevant to this, for those who care to investigate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies