Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 12:57 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times

Advertisements

You might have heard that the Turkish currency, the lira, is hitting record lows and that this will cause much financial pain for Turkey. I am enjoying this and cheering for the things to get even worse.

Why do I want Turkish financial meltdown? Because the Turkish people rejected secularism for an Islamist government. Turkey used to be the most secular Muslim country in the world. As a secularist I loved that version of Turkey. When I see pictures of Turkish women wearing hijabs it makes me furious because for many decades it was unheard of for Turkish women to cover themselves. Knowing how much Turkey has changed, all for the worse, makes me strongly dislike Turkey. Now I am cheering this currency crisis...it is very exciting to me and I feel the Turks definitely deserve it for rejecting secularism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 01:20 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
I am not sure the fall of Lira will turn people away from Islam. Something else is driving them. They want the glory of the Ottomans. They should be looking to their west and see what Islamic rule has done to a country. I cannot believe they see all that and still wish for Islamic rule. Turkey is also a very poor fit to NATO, if you ask me. They haven't done one thing for NATO.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
One of the most sick twisted threads I've seen on c-d.

It must suck to be you.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:28 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
I vacationed in Turkey in the 90's. Lovely country and people based on my experiences. No shortage of women in hijab scarves. The further the distance from Istanbul, the more conservative the population gets.

This year, tourism is exploding in Turkey as Europeans, especially the Brits, fly in for affordable be beach holidays.

The central bank's of countries, including the US, operate independent of government. This is no longer the case in Turkey. Erdogan put his son in law in charge of economic policy. Erdogan wants low interest rates while the most common method of fighting inflation is to increase rates.

Historically, the US has moderated when emerging economies get in trouble. This time, the US doubled tariffs on steel imports from Turkey.

I cannot imagine taking delight when people suffer.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:31 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
No turkey for Turkey. I'm OK with it.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:39 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
No turkey for Turkey. I'm OK with it.
You are making me Hungary.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:43 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
You might have heard that the Turkish currency, the lira, is hitting record lows and that this will cause much financial pain for Turkey. I am enjoying this and cheering for the things to get even worse.

Why do I want Turkish financial meltdown? Because the Turkish people rejected secularism for an Islamist government. Turkey used to be the most secular Muslim country in the world. As a secularist I loved that version of Turkey. When I see pictures of Turkish women wearing hijabs it makes me furious because for many decades it was unheard of for Turkish women to cover themselves. Knowing how much Turkey has changed, all for the worse, makes me strongly dislike Turkey. Now I am cheering this currency crisis...it is very exciting to me and I feel the Turks definitely deserve it for rejecting secularism.
Have you been to Turkey? Many in Turkey didn't and don't cover their hair. But many did and still continue to do so.

As for Turkey embracing Islamism, I say good for them. So long as they don't engage in Islamist extremism and start funding terrorism.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
One of the most sick twisted threads I've seen on c-d.

It must suck to be you.
No it doesn't suck...i am enjoying life. I have likes, dislikes, opinions and preferences. One of my strongest dislikes is fundamentalist Islam...especially it's association with female modesty. I always have and always will root against it. In this case if the people suffer badly enough there is a chance of regime change and a return to secularism in Turkey.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:10 PM

Many of you are unaware of how much Turkey has changed...you really underplay it. Do a search on Turkey secularism and you will find thousands and thousands of articles of how Turkey has been shifting from secularism to Sharia.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:17 PM

73,011 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Anyone who is wishing that Turkey's population goes through hardship is sick-minded and evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies