Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 02:00 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by candalf View Post

Am I missing anything?
The fact that 'white' and 'conservative' have a correlative relationship, not a causal one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 02:02 PM

52,200 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Lax immigration and sanctuary cities ( Which are 100% liberal policies ) have hurt legal minorities .

Of course the “news “ never shares this reality .

Where do you think the illegal alien criminals ICE picks up usually live ?
Not in majority white areas.

The left has been guilt tripping liberals into believing being open borders is the right thing to do , when it’s totally against their interests .. even more so than for whites .
Look at some of the cities that are far left liberal Democrats lead cities for decades and look what a mess those permissive policies have. They have destroyed the bay area for example. Needles and human feces all over the place.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:05 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Look at some of the cities that are far left liberal Democrats lead cities for decades and look what a mess those permissive policies have. They have destroyed the bay area for example. Needles and human feces all over the place.
Yeah it’s a shame . I’ve definitely noticed a big decline in L.A, current mayor very far to the left .

The tent cities have been multiplying .

Many don’t even take their kids to parks or out to walk anymore because it’s too dangerous and dirty .

Old 08-12-2018, 02:07 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah it’s a shame . I’ve definitely noticed a big decline in L.A, current mayor very far to the left .

The tent cities have been multiplying .

Many don’t even take their kids to parks or out to walk anymore because it’s too dangerous and dirty .
To be fair, people just don't take their kids to the park anymore.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:07 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Trump is not a conservative. He's an authoritarian and statist who never met a dictator he didn't like. Ronald Reagan, a true conservative, is spinning in his grave right now.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:12 PM

2,362 posts, read 776,984 times
Quote:

Am I missing anything?
Yes, you made a racist assumption that White = Conservative and non-White = none-Conservative.

1)None-Whites can be conservative.
2)As demographic changes happen, people will re-align their political views. What were once minorities will no longer feel to vote Democratic out of minority-angst so to speak.
3)Latinos come in all races, many are White and many are conservative.
4)Cuban-Americans (in Florida) are one of the most conservative minority groups so I don't see Florida changing anytime soon even if Latinos are outnumbering non-Latino (white) people.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Trump is not a conservative. He's an authoritarian and statist who never met a dictator he didn't like. Ronald Reagan, a true conservative, is spinning in his grave right now.
What makes a Ronald Reagan a true conservative? How do you define a conservative? Who owns that label, conservative?

Old 08-12-2018, 02:29 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
I have been looking at statistics on birth data on Wikipedia. For the two largest states with Conservative-leaning politics, Florida and Texas, the percentages of non-Hispanic White births are only 44% and 34%:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Florida

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Texas

I think it is hard to dispute that GOP is now ideologically the party of Trump, through and through. I also think it is hard to dispute that Trumpism is overwhelmingly a non-Hispanic White ideology. Sure, you'll get a few celebreties challenge the trend but those are flukes that further prove the rule.

So it seems inevitable to me that after nearly complete surrender of Republicans to Trump, it is only a question of time that Conservative politics will die at the federal level. I really don't see Republicans controlling either Executive or Legislative branches of Government in 15-20 years from now. The only way for that to happen is for the US go South African with majority-minority being deprived of civil rights by a police state.

I therefore cannot help but concude that we are now observing the funeral pyre of American Conservative politics. Bright and hot, but almost out of fuel.

Am I missing anything?
I think you are missing several things. First of all look at the current numbers of GOP vs. Dem control:

33 of 50 governors are GOP
67 of 99 state legislative bodies are GOP-controlled.
The US House is GOP controlled
The US Senate is GOP controlled.
The US President is GOP

Adding these up, it comes to 102 of 152 state and federal entities are GOP-controlled. That's 67 percent, or a 2-1 GOP margin.

This has occurred in an era where the pct. of white voters decreases by a few points every cycle (since 2010).

Secondly, from a post in another recent thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/52765396-post12.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy
The problem with both of the first two examples that the OP correctly points out is that EXTRAPOLATION without REACTION is flawed methodology over and over. (Even if you can get on every major media outlet and push the story).

It's like John is standing on the traintracks, here comes a train in 40 seconds, oh well, john was crushed by a train. Oh wait! John actually MOVED! Holy CRAP that's nigh impossible! Didn't see that one coming!

Especially would like to call out the "population bomb" crap because I heard that as a kid. Let's all gather together and thank "Big agriculture" for all the technological developements that more than doubled US crop yields in the past couple decades.

Now let's be fair, a lot of predictions have come true. Generally those that didn't get politicized and turned into hyperbole. So there is that to consider.

Thirdly, at this point, the characterization of the GOP as a white-only party is overblown:
https://www.cnn.com/2013/01/18/opini...ity/index.html

btw the above article is from 5 years ago.

Finally, you miss that there is currently a surprising degree of racism on the left side of the aisle. Take Sarah Jeong. Or take the links of Dem congress members to the anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan. The effort at a Cal. univ. to create a segregated swimming pool (whites excluded). People are slowly awaking to the fact that identity politics culminates in racism.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:31 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
What makes a Ronald Reagan a true conservative? How do you define a conservative? Who owns that label, conservative?
Reagan believed in free trade, limited government, a free press, and didn't cozy up to dictators (Putin, Kim, Duterte, etc.) like Trump does. And if you don't believe me ask some living conservatives like George Will, William Kristol, Joe Scarborough, etc. if they think Trump is a conservative. And I'm already aware of the standard Trumpie response--RINO, fake conservative, "establishment", etc., etc.--so save your breath.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Reagan believed in free trade, limited government, a free press, and didn't cozy up to dictators (Putin, Kim, Duterte, etc.) like Trump does. And if you don't believe me ask some living conservatives like George Will, William Kristol, Joe Scarborough, etc. if they think Trump is a conservative. And I'm already aware of the standard Trumpie response--RINO, fake conservative, etc., etc.--so save your breath.
Bill Kristol is a conservative? You just lost all credibility.

Also please define what is a conservative and who owns that definition. I'm waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies