Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 01:54 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

For anyone "claiming" there's any such thing as private property rights in the US, guess again. I own private property in the US. I pay the annually assessed property taxes on it. I pay for the maintenance of it. Yet, every year literally thousands of people get to trespass and use my private property for free, all the while leaving their trash, etc., behind for me to clean up. Guess where I am...

Oh, and there is NO recorded public use easement on my land title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
The only real Native Americans are the Sasquatch.
I'm pretty sure the Sasquatch(es?) migrated from elsewhere, too.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:56 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
The only real Native Americans are the Sasquatch.

The Indians didn't steal Sasquatch land, they coexisted with them.

The concept of private property or owning the land was not a part of their world view.
Such a lame excuse... but honesty isn't something I expect around here.

Native Americans DID claim certain territories as being owned by their tribe. That much is obvious. And there were so many Native American tribes with such wide variation that it's just ludicrous to claim that NONE of them had any concept of property rights.

I own stolen land in America. And I'm not gonna give it back. Because I understand that property rights are not absolute

Old 08-13-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Such a lame excuse... but honesty isn't something I expect around here.

Native Americans DID claim certain territories as being owned by their tribe.
How can they "own" any land? They're not even original inhabitants. They migrated from elsewhere.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:03 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
True enough, and that doesn't negate my point in any way.

*All* of the land in the U.S. was claimed by some tribe at some point. And most of it was taken from said original owner by force. So if you accept the right of European Americans to own this stolen land, then you are accepting the *fact* that property rights are not absolute. They are a social construct, defined largely by the will and means to enforce said social construct.

Why do right-wingers always insist that 'rights' are some magical existence outside of the very force and social contract that *defines* said rights?
its an interesting question and one worth exploring.

we "right wingers" limit the notion that there is some "magic force" to a very few things.
Those being the right to "life liberty and the pursuit of happiness"

We do not however suggest any other "rights" stand outside of the Social Contract.

However we do commit certain things to a little thing called "the Constitution". Not magic. Not God.
and we are committed to a principle established in that document called "negative rights"

That being "Government may not go beyond x point"

That limitation precludes government from using its awesome and extensive power to hurt common people. It isn't magic. It isn't God but it is law that limits government and it has done us well....

We have a unique "right" to free expression and free press that other nations lack. Even first world "free" nations... although that is now being challenged on many fronts.

As for "Land" it is not a right that has magic or even constitutional protections. Land ownership is certainly part of a social contract.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:18 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Do you own land in the United States? Or have you given it back to the Native Americans from whom it was stolen?

I own land and I haven't given it back. I accept the fact that I own stolen property, and that my property rights- such as they are- rest solely on society's willingness to enforce them. Not on some fairytale 'inherent right'.
Nobody rightfully owns land in the current Statist paradigm. It's a moot point.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
For anyone "claiming" there's any such thing as private property rights in the US, guess again. I own private property in the US. I pay the annually assessed property taxes on it. I pay for the maintenance of it. Yet, every year literally thousands of people get to trespass and use my private property for free, all the while leaving their trash, etc., behind for me to clean up. Guess where I am...

Come on... just take a guess... I'm in the US. Where do private property rights mean NOTHING AT ALL in the US, exactly as I've described? Hmmmm...? Speak up!

Old 08-13-2018, 03:06 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Awesome. I agree with all of that. Well except the claim that native americans had no concept of land ownership. That's demonstrably false... most obviously because they went to WAR to defent *their land*.

Duh.

So, do you agree with me that said property rights are a social construct? Valid only to the extent that we as a society are willing and able to enforce said right?

I mean if Canada invades and politely TAKES your land... well it's theirs to do with as they wish? Right? As long as they can enforce it...
Correct. Canada would now hold title to my land if my government refused to enforce my property rights and fight on my behalf. The only legitimate role of government is to "enforce contracts and protect property rights". Not all indians believed in property rights. There were hundreds of tribes all with different cultures.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:21 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
There literally is no private property without the theft of a public resource, or the purchase of a stolen resource.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It’s really quite simple; no one created the land, water, stones or ores. Any ownership thereof is the product of theft.
The fact that no one created those things is proof no theft occurred.

Your claim those are "public" resources fails miserably.

Which "public?"

The United States? Because that smacks of ethnocentrism. There's no distinction between the US as one actor among 195 actors, and one person among 320 Million, or even 6.7 Billion.

Are you arguing for one world government? You must be, because if, as you claim, resources are "public" then they're globally public, not locally.

Quote:
Do you own land in the United States?
I don't own land in the US, but I do own land in Romania.

To whom should I give it back?

Quote:
Or have you given it back to the Native Americans from whom it was stolen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The original natives had no concept of "ownership of land", so we had a culture clash.
Uh, no, some tribal groups in the Americas did have a concept of land ownership.

Ever wonder why there are tribal groups still living in the New England States, including New York, that were never forcibly removed to reservations?

Customary Laws are laws agreed upon by various States, even when no formal written treaty exists.

The Customary Law of the Sea is an excellent example. Every sea-faring State abided by the Customary Law of the Sea, even though no formal written agreement existed until the 1950s, when Great Britain wrote the text of UNCLOS I -- the United Nations Customary Law of the Sea.

There was a Customary Law of Land, too.

Land that was developed was considered to be owned, even when no formal documentation existed.

Undeveloped land was free for the taking.

Land was considered developed, if it had permanent housing, roads, wells, property markers or boundary markers.

Tribal groups in the New England States had stone houses, community wells, roads, and there were boundary markers separating tribes, and also boundary markers between land held by individual tribe members.

So, yes, some Native American tribal groups recognized individual property rights, even though they didn't write up property deeds and store them at their county court house.

While the French and British governments recognized the Customary Law of the Land, the US government did not, so it forcibly removed other land owning tribes, like the Miami, Shawnee and Pawnee from areas in Ohio and Indiana to reservations in the Plains States.

As you moved further west and south in the US, tribal groups were semi-nomadic, and then in the middle of the US, those tribes were wholly nomadic, until you got to the western US, where you had tribes like the Hopi, Navajo, Zuni and others living in permanent dwellings.

Taking land from the Cherokee, Creek, Seminole, Choctaw, Chickasaw, Miami, Pawnee and Shawnee was wrong, and in violation of the Customary Law of the Land, but taking land from the semi-nomadic and nomadic tribes who inhabited the area west of the Mississippi River to the Rocky Mountains was perfectly acceptable and within the limits of the Law.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:29 PM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Why are people trashing up your property - is this the beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies