Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 12:49 PM

482 posts, read 240,044 times

Advertisements

I have to be honest, I've never even met someone that was in the KKK, Aryan Nations, or any other white nationalist hate group, and I've lived all over this country, including the deep south. I Currently live in Idaho, which is supposed to be a hot-spot for these types, but once again, I've never known a single individual that's been affiliated with said groups.

What I have seen, is 24/7 coverage of said groups on TV at isolated demonstrations or gatherings. Honestly, this has got to be one of the biggest jokes in the history of national media. It's estimated that the KKK has about 5,000 members in the U.S. right now, with less than half of them listed as active members. That means that in a country with a population of 325 million, there are about 2,500 of these A-holes that actually show up to events in an attempt to garner attention. That's 1 in 130,000 people, yet it's as if the KKK is shown as being some type of an issue in this country right now. What a freaking joke.

The biggest problem with this is that the media is actually fueling a growth in these groups by supplying them with all this coverage, and you got idiots like my in-laws, that now think these groups 1000x bigger than they really are. They're Hispanics from Southern CA that now don't want to retire in TX because they feel they're going to be the target of hate groups. It's freaking mind numbing because I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bigger presence from these groups in the part of the country that they currently live, which is also next to zero....SMH.

Is this the angle that the mass media is going with for 2020? They tried it somewhat in 2016, and it didn't work at all. It might have riled up a bunch of people that weren't going to vote Republican anyways, but it turned off a lot of independents from voting Democrat because it felt like voting for Trump was like voting against the mass media or the establishment. I say all of this as someone that's not conservative or white. I identify as being a centrist, but I have to admit, the media is pushing me away from the left with the level of B.S. they're projecting on a daily basis.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:52 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,922,909 times
The media is in it for the media. The more inflamatory they are the more viewers they get from their particular camp. Fox and MSNBC/CNN are playing the exact same game. Antifa or the KKK as the boogeymen, take your pick. It's all noise for the purpose of selling commercial spots during, before and after their broadcasts. Politics has become the new spectator sport. You can even buy a hat or a t-shirt supporting your "team".

Old 08-13-2018, 12:55 PM

599 posts, read 286,871 times
Not an issue. These demonstrations are tiny but camera angles intentionally make them appear larger - just like they did for those 30-person Hillary rallies!

Old 08-13-2018, 01:01 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,918,991 times
I think the fringe right groups want media coverage and to be normalized which would boost there numbers. However the USA is already a pretty right wing country bad labor laws low wages etc. Not to mention the massive disparity in the prison system between the races incarcerated. Arguably the USA is a low intensity racist state.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:06 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,406,929 times
Same as MS-13 - a minor street gang of little importance totally overblown by fear mongering Trump and the right.
Same as they do with Antifa.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:12 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,933,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I think the fringe right groups want media coverage and to be normalized which would boost there numbers. However the USA is already a pretty right wing country bad labor laws low wages etc. Not to mention the massive disparity in the prison system between the races incarcerated. Arguably the USA is a low intensity racist state.
Wages are a reflection of the skills and value you bring to the table as an employee, not a reflection of the miserable government we continue to elect.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:14 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,918,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Wages are a reflection of the skills and value you bring to the table as an employee,
They are reflection of your negotiating power with bad labor laws a side effect of right wing governance wages will continue to depress since the right wing will always favor management over labor. Many of the white nationalists are radicalized because they likely have poor work environments and are poor. Its a real shame they choose to scapegoat minorities as opposed to going after the people actually holding them down.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:17 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,933,893 times
Quote:
They are reflection of your negotiating power with bad labor laws a side effect of right wing governance wages will continue to depress since the right wing will always favor management over labor. Many of the white nationalists are radicalized because they likely have poor work environments and are poor. Its a real shame they choose to scapegoat minorities as opposed to going after the people actually holding them down.
You have more in demand skills, you have more power to negotiate and find higher paying work. Its pretty simple. I've been working for over 30 years and never once worried about how the government impacted my pay, its always been based on the skills I have and my desire to stay at a position or look for something new if I felt under paid.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:25 PM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,048,735 times
Quote:
Low wages are due to too many people willing to work for low wages. And much of that is having too many illegals and recent immigrants with poor English speaking skills willing to do this low skill levels jobs. Kick out the illegals and limit immigration of those with no job skills and bad English skills, and those wages will go up.

It's simple economic laws of supply and demand. Too many workers translate to low wages. Having a worker shortage would force employers to pay more in order to fill their positions.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:30 PM

21,738 posts, read 9,294,678 times
They said there were like 25 of these white supremacists there and a huge number of Antifa people screaming, throwing things at the police and being belligerent. This is all cooked up by the media to get ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies