Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 08:24 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. My point is we are a great country because we are in fact a nation of immigrants. We all owe our existence here today due to the fact that our ancestors made the decision to come here. The "I got mine, get lost" statement comes from the fact that by happy accident you and I were born in this country simply because someone immigrated here in the past. It's disingenuous to deny anyone else the opportunity to live here when we are here ourselves by random chance.

While it's true that we are not loading covered wagons and heading out to empty wilderness, there's still plenty of room for anyone who wants to come here for a better way of life. Not to mention, the inventor of the next life changing technology or medical miracle may just be waiting for chance to come to our country. There's no reason to be afraid of immigration. It's has been, and always will be, a great thing for our country.

Once again, we are no longer a nation of immigrants but a nation of mostly U.S. born native citizens today and have been for some time now.

So you're for open borders where anyone in the world that wants to migrate here should be able to? Are you serious? No, there is not plenty of room and resources any more. You might want to educate yourself on this subject. It's not the educated and skilled that want to come here for the most part but the dirt poor who would be a burden to our society, not a benefit. We have plenty of brainy Americans who do medical research. Who's afraid of immigration per se? It's about only allowing those in who will benefit our society. You don't know the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 08:44 PM

2,180 posts, read 639,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. My point is we are a great country because we are in fact a nation of immigrants. We all owe our existence here today due to the fact that our ancestors made the decision to come here. The "I got mine, get lost" statement comes from the fact that by happy accident you and I were born in this country simply because someone immigrated here in the past. It's disingenuous to deny anyone else the opportunity to live here when we are here ourselves by random chance.

While it's true that we are not loading covered wagons and heading out to empty wilderness, there's still plenty of room for anyone who wants to come here for a better way of life. Not to mention, the inventor of the next life changing technology or medical miracle may just be waiting for chance to come to our country. There's no reason to be afraid of immigration. It's has been, and always will be, a great thing for our country.

Oh god, what pollyanna claptrap. What fantasy world do you people live in? It's obvious you're way far removed from your original immigrant ancestors. Some of us aren't, and get offended by your short sightedness and lack of nuance or experience on this issue.

Look, it's not 1917 anymore. The needs of the American economy and American people should come first. We don't need mass immigration of low skilled and unskilled people anymore. Especially if we're now expected to give everyone welfare and a base standard of living that WASN'T given to the immigrants of 100 years ago. There was also the expectation of integration that isn't a priority today (it's seen as RACIST to demand integration or assimilation.

Stop living in the past. We will be the flop house of the world while the rest of the world prioritizes skilled immigrants and makes careful and deliberate consideration of immigration to ensure citizens and immigrants have the OPPORTUNITY promised, as well as give a good chance for integration and assimilation.

Immigration isn't a "per se" good. It CAN be good, or it can mean a complete overwhelming and change in culture and society for the worse. It's happened many places on this planet. Be careful what you wish for.

Then people like you will also cry and whine about things like "wealth inequality"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies