Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 02:16 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times

Advertisements

It Trump was really bothered by Fake News he would reinstate the FCC's "Fairness Doctrine." During the Ronald Reagan administration they believed that honesty was an infringement to free speech in broadcast Journalism. If that happened how many news agencies would have to go away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 03:38 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
For me, fake news can be several things:

1. Knowingly reporting a lie as truth
2. False information that the reporter failed to properly research and failed to realize that it was false
3. Something trivial meant to deflect attention away from a major issue
4. Something trivial because the media has nothing else to report on for that day
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
"Fake news" is information that doesn't conform to what you believe is true, making you dismiss it without attempting to educate yourself on the subject.

A combination of laziness and purposeful ignorance, basically.
These are perhaps some of the best easy-to-explain explanations of Fox News I have seen.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:45 PM

26,562 posts, read 14,434,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
For me, fake news can be several things:

1. Knowingly reporting a lie as truth

concur.

Quote:
2. False information that the reporter failed to properly research and failed to realize that it was false
i would consider this "fake news" if there were no adequate retraction/correction when discovered to be false information.

Quote:
3. Something trivial meant to deflect attention away from a major issue
4. Something trivial because the media has nothing else to report on for that day

if the information is correct, no matter how trivial, then i'd consider it "not newsworthy" but not "fake news".

Old 08-14-2018, 03:57 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Fake news is a myth spread by Donald Trump and lapped up by his mindless cult. He doesn't like any questions about anything he has done, so he has to try to diminish the importance of those reports and shift the blame to someone else. It is his only defense.

Journalists have a responsibility to ask the tough questions and dig for the truth. His Trumpees hate them doing it because they often find dirt on "The Great Orange Messia" and they don't care to hear any of it.

If these people were suddenly gone off the face of the earth, this country could not survive. People in power could do anything they wanted because no one would know. But I understand how Trumpees must feel, it has to be a bi*** to see and hear your leader being outed every day of the week. Problem is, they need to look at the source instead of the reporters. If he weren't doing this ****, there would be nothing to report.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:01 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
I consider fake news outright lies presented as fact or news articles, not opinion pieces, devoid of pertinent facts in order to push a very biased point of view. virtually all msm news sources are guilty of both, unfortunately.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:06 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Lightbulb What is "fake" news?

"Fake news" = All of the reality that Pubs hate to have revealed.

They'll really hate their "fake election losses" and some of them are gonna suffer from "fake prison sentences."

Their little "fake world" is about to collapse on top of them.

It's fabulous political entertainment.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:07 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Melissa Howard, who is running for a seat in the Florida House of Representatives, has been challenged over the college degree she claimed from Ohio's Miami University. The college says that she did not receive a degree, and that she only attended for three years. Ms Howard says that she never meant to mislead anyone when she said that she had completed her degree.

Ms Howard also posted a picture of herself holding her "degree", which the university says is not one of their degrees.

Ms Howard's campaign consultant characterizes the story as "fake news". Her husband is ill, and Ms Howard is focusing on him rather than on "fake news".

I'm unclear on why this is fake news. She did state that she had completed her degree, on her candidate bio as well as while she was out campaigning. She did a post a picture of herself holding a framed (handsomely framed) degree which it has turned out to be fraudulent. She is running for office, and lying about her credentials is pertinent to her qualifications as a candidate. So how is this fake news?
She was just following the leader. Guess she figured if Trump can get away with his thousands of lies, so can she. Trump has made lying a way of life and other dumb-dumbs figure they'll try it also. They like his philosophy of "lie, lie, and lies some more, and they'll believe it." This woman sounds like a doozy if she thought she could get away with this lie.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:08 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
It Trump was really bothered by Fake News he would reinstate the FCC's "Fairness Doctrine." During the Ronald Reagan administration they believed that honesty was an infringement to free speech in broadcast Journalism. If that happened how many news agencies would have to go away?
If Trump was really bothered by Fake News, Fox News would not be his go-to network and employee recruitment center.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:38 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Fake news is news that makes me look bad. Or so goes the dystopian, Trumpian use of the term.
That seems to be the case. "Fake news" simply means "True or false, I will no longer address the matter. My mind is shut."

Here's a marvelous example of Trump's ambassador to the Netherlands calling his previous statements fake news. Sadly for him, Dutch journalists are unafraid of hounding those in power, and once confronted with evidence, he decides that the never even said fake news at all, I guess in effect trying to fake-news his previous fake-newsing. It's 1 minute, worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8AwFc9hlf4

Perfect representative for the Trump admin. Seriously, they couldn't have picked better.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:42 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Unfortunately, Trump has so degraded public discourse that he's even mangled the meaning of "fake news."

Like Trump, she's terming "fake" anything she doesn't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies