Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 01:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
now all the airlines need to do the same. I do understand there are times with a service dog is acceptable but not when it is considered a an emotional support animal. What is next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 01:55 PM

39,195 posts, read 27,570,476 times
I actually think SOME people need service dogs. I don't know if service dogs are the same as emotional support animals.

I think Royal Caribbean did the right thing.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:08 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,944,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
now all the airlines need to do the same. I do understand there are times with a service dog is acceptable but not when it is considered a an emotional support animal. What is next?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981
I don't know if service dogs are the same as emotional support animals.
Again... service dogs and ESA ARE NOT THE SAME. If you read the whole thread that's been stated in full already.

Service dogs are task trained to assist with a specific disability. For example - seeing eye, hearing ear, mobility assist, PTSD psychiatric assist, blood sugar/seizure alert dogs. Every disability has its own specific tasks for the dog to perform. They also receive a lot of training on how to behave properly in public places, like doing sit/down and stay for long periods, not trying to interact with people and other animals, not being aggressive, etc. The service they perform literally renders these dogs priceless.

ESA are not task trained. They are pets, not medical equipment. They don't have the same legal right to access that a service dog has. Airline flights and housing, and that's all. No restaurants, stores, markets, theaters, malls, etc.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:17 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I have one too, and I cannot imagine anyone being so stupid as to want to expose their cat to the stress of being on a cruise ship.

Quick FYI - ESA's don't have any right to access where restaurants are concerned.
Yes, cats are another story altogether. They really don't like being dragged around outside of their comfort zone, which is usually at home. I occasionally see people trying to walk their cats, and the poor things always seem terrified.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:22 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
I see more untrained dogs than I see trained ones. Like the one that tried to get in my cat's face, putting its face up against the carrier, at the vet's when I was dropping her off for dental surgery, and the owner just kept talking to the tech behind the counter, completely oblivious to the fact that his dog was being a major nuisance and stressing my cat out. A vet waiting room is not the place for meet and greets.
Yeah, those are the jerks who ruin it for all dog owners. My dog is always leashed outside the home (unless specifically in an off-leash dog park), and I don't let her approach any animal or person unless the other person initiates first.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Quote:
What about Hearing Ear, Psychiatric Assist (for PTSD), Mobility Assist, or Blood Sugar/Seizure Alert dogs?

Dogs can be trained to do more than just assist the blind.
See post #75 for ADA definitions.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:18 PM

609 posts, read 302,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Do they allow seeing-eye dogs?

If so, I am not seeing the distinction.
Are you serious?

Old 08-15-2018, 04:54 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,499,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I believe their ships are flagged as Panamanian, Liberian, Bahamian etc... and don't have to follow Americans with Disabilities Act laws.
From what I read, emotional support dogs are not considered service dogs under ADA.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:56 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
So true. Ex-wives are people, too.
LOL That's hilarious!

Old 08-15-2018, 05:23 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,251,965 times
What dog owners say
1. He won't bite.
2. He just wants to sniff you. Sometimes the sniffing leads to humping.
3. He never barks. Variation, No, that wasn't my dog barking last night, he never barks.
5. He is always on a leash. Unless I turn him loose, cause he likes to run free.
6. I only use a six foot leash. Unless I'm using a twenty five foot leash.
7. I always clean up after my dog poops. Especially if I know a neighbor is watching.
8. My dog never ever poops in someone elses yard.
9. Don't worry, he won't bite. As dog growls and his hackles are verticle.
10. Don't worry, he won't hurt you. As the dog rears up on you.
11. My dog was a member of my family. (After having the dog put down(killed)).
12 I let him lick my mouth, cause he is cleaner than a human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies