Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 08:12 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I believe the Republican incumbent is favored to actually win.
But I heard that the VT republicans are upset over the recent gun control bill that he signed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 08:16 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Anything goes?

Like the lowest divorce rates in the US?

Like the lowest teen pregnancy rates?

New England is not what you think it is. Most of the people of the region actually live pretty simple somewhat bland conservative traditional lives. People here work hard and live within their means. People are not flashy or showy and displays of wealth are seen as vulgar. Education is very valued. Marriages last entire lives and family is very important. People have roots in the region going back generations and sometimes hundreds of years. Things for the most part are slow to change.

The difference in New Englanders versus people in other parts of the nation is that its residents feel it is not their business to decide how others should live.
Traditional Yankee culture is all of that. However over the years, the liberals and their white guilt have changed NE and we are now spending beyond our means. Property taxes are high because of giving to the needy.

IMO there should be no such thing as white guilt and instead being proud of living with commonsense and frugality. I don'r understand why liberals don't make the connection between poverty trapped people and their poor lifestyle choices.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:19 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
And as usual, conservatives are throwing a tantrum because they cannot accept that people who aren't white, heterosexual, cisgender, and fundamentalist Christian are allowed to exist in this country.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:20 AM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I believe the Republican incumbent is favored to actually win.
Yeah, when "set" is used in this context it usually means sure thing. But there is still an election against a fairly popular incumbent to get through.

Although there are no doubt those who believe that the election should just be skipped and Hallquist be named Governor by acclamation, kind of like George Washington becoming President.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:21 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But I heard that the VT republicans are upset over the recent gun control bill that he signed.
I doubt they are upset enough about that to vote Democrat. That type of action would have been reflected in the primary and sending up a different nominee to the general election, like Kansas did. If Democrats wanted to assure that Republicans annoyed with the current governor came out to vote instead of sitting at home, they probably hit a winning strategy with this nomination.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:27 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
And as usual, conservatives are throwing a tantrum because they cannot accept that people who aren't white, heterosexual, cisgender, and fundamentalist Christian are allowed to exist in this country.
How do you see that? My only concern was higher VT taxes due to her comment about the VT public schools being under attack. Even if she weren't transgender, that would be my concern. Dems just want to spend tax dollars that aren't there.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:42 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Does it really matter what gender someone is if they are governor? Does it matter what other gender they might like to have sexual relations with? Does this somehow affect the citizens of that state?

The only time these questions matter... is when it is YOU and who YOU want to have sexual relations with.

I guess that's a knock at New England. Maybe they have evolved passed others and came to the realization that all of this gender related stuff is simply nonsense and background noise to distract us.
Yes it does. Transgender = Mental Illness

Old 08-15-2018, 08:42 AM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times
Quote:
It was the lie more than the bill. He promised not to sign any gun control before the election. There was a politician named Peter Smith who did the same thing years ago - and he lost his election to Bernie Sanders. That's how Sanders got elected to the US House.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:50 AM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Yes it does. Transgender = Mental Illness
Homosexuality used to be a mental illness. Now it's not. Transgender is no longer officially considered a mental illness. I know a lot of people find that hard to believe. I actually don't think mental illness exists at all. I don't think thoughts beliefs and behaviors should be classified as 'illnesses'.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:55 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
How do you see that? My only concern was higher VT taxes due to her comment about the VT public schools being under attack. Even if she weren't transgender, that would be my concern. Dems just want to spend tax dollars that aren't there.
Huh. Your location doesn't mention Vermont, so why are you worried about taxes there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies