Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 03:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Not so fast.

If that same person walked into the bakery and said they wanted a birthday cake (same decoration) do you think he would have refused? Was his refusal due to their sexual orientation or the stated purpose of the cake?
I can't be at your house to read the news to you, sorry. You're going to have to read it on your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 03:59 PM

2,362 posts, read 777,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I can't be at your house to read the news to you, sorry. You're going to have to read it on your own.
This response is not coherent. It has nothing to do with what I asked (I'm not asking you to "read the news" but to rub two brain cells and think about the problem out of black and white terms). I can see you're flustered though, maybe nap time for you is appropriate.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Imagine if you're running a bakery and a White person walks in and requests a cake. They describe a completely innocuous theme to which you ask what for? And they reply they're throwing a White Nationalist gathering.

Would you bake this cake?
I've never made a tiki torch themed cake before, but I guess I'd give it a try. Baking a cake for someone doesn't turn me into that person.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:03 PM

10,453 posts, read 4,036,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Because it IS illegal in Colorado to discriminate against persons based on their sexual orientation. It's quite simple.
But, federal law protecting a person's religious rights trumps all states rights. So they are going to lose again!

Old 08-15-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
This response is not coherent. It has nothing to do with what I asked (I'm not asking you to "read the news" but to rub two brain cells and think about the problem out of black and white terms). I can see you're flustered though, maybe nap time for you is appropriate.
Flustered? No. I'm just not sure how many times you expect me to repeat myself. The answer was given. The cake was refused because the woman is transgender, not because of the cake design. They were fine with making the cake as a birthday cake. They refused when they found out the party was also to celebrate 4 years since transitioning.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:04 PM

2,362 posts, read 777,508 times
Quote:
I've never made a tiki torch themed cake before, but I guess I'd give it a try. Baking a cake for someone doesn't turn me into that person.
Ok, now go a step further - should all bakers be forced to bake cakes for all themes, political motivations and purposes, etc?

Old 08-15-2018, 04:04 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times
Quote:
Not so fast.

If that same person walked into the bakery and said they wanted a birthday cake (same decoration) do you think he would have refused? Was his refusal due to their sexual orientation or the stated purpose of the cake?

Imagine if you're running a bakery and a White person walks in and requests a cake. They describe a completely innocuous theme to which you ask what for? And they reply they're throwing a White Nationalist gathering.

Would you bake this cake?
White Nationalists are not a protected class under CO law. Transgenders are as part of the group defined by sexual orientation. You cannot discriminate against a protected class.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:05 PM

88,999 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
They lost because the state commission screwed up. I think even bureaucrats understand how to make things right this time. I am sure they crossed every i and dotted every t.
Won't matter. The CO State commission will still lose. Again. Here's why, from the same-sex wedding cake 7-2 ruling:

"The government, consistent with the Constitution's guarantee of free exercise, cannot impose regulations that are hostile to the religious beliefs of affected citizens and cannot act in a manner that passes judgment upon or presupposes the illegitimacy of religious beliefs and practices"

Two prohibitions there. Cannot impose in the first place, and then cannot act to enforce that imposition.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:06 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
People like professionally baked cakes, why does that matter?
So you don't believe that they singled out this Baker for a reason?

Old 08-15-2018, 04:07 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Yes I would. And then I'd donate the share of the sale to the Southern Poverty Law Center.
The only thing that I'd donate to the SPLC is the slag in the bottom of my septic tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies