Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2018, 09:08 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Indeed, it is. It's forcing some to work for free for a percentage of the year for the sole benefit of others. That's exactly what slavery is.
Using your definition, every worker...in fact, even the boss is a slave.

Worker productivity has tripled and wages not increased at all...that means joe worker is giving the other 2/3 to his corporation or boss. A slave!

Earth to Informed. Come back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 09:10 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
I am sure it would be much better if we just gave the rich a little more money to spend on elections, a little more money to pack the courts with their cronies, a little more money to destroy competition, a little more freedom to sell garbage, poison the air and food and sell dangerous medicine. That clearly has been a success story in every society with cheaper medicine and health care. Just do the opposite of what everyone else is doing.
Nice rant of standard liberal bromides, but it has nothing to do with what I posted.

Insulin is artificially more expensive in the US than anywhere else SPECIFICALLY because government meddling protects the Sanofi near-monopoly, and Sanofi rewards our federal politicians well for that protection.

Instead of using bureaucratic loopholes to stifle competition, as we currently do, th government should remove itself from the insulin business and let competition do what it does best - lower prices and move capital/goods/resources to where they are used most efficiently.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:11 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Percentages don't build roads, extend electrical lines, etc. Raw amounts do.

No, it's not. No one is forcing you to stay (unlike the slaves). You can leave if you don't like it.
The slaves actually got food and housing as it was in the interest of the slave owners to provide it. The people on the far right believe that the working class should be abused to the extreme with no labor laws and protection and employers kicking out people on the streets when the abuse is over and they can no longer work. Food and housing only being available to those on the labor market with the most value. The total lack of compassion is interesting.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:12 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Did you go to public school?
My parents and I have paid WAY more in real estate taxes to our children's corresponding public school districts than my and my kids' entire public educations cost. I posted my $19,000+/year IL real estate tax bill in another thread. About $13,000/year of that goes to the local public school district, and the rest goes to various public agency taxing bodies (city, township, county, park district, forest preserve, district, regional airport, etc.) including 8 different public employee pension funds.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
It was designed to make things worse so we'd beg for universal healthcare. Obama and the left destroyed our healthcare system on purpose. By their thinking we must now reward them by supporting their replacement system. It's like buying a new house from the arsonist who burned down your old one, and his excuse is "your old house sucked anyway". Yeah but it kept the rain out.
“Destroyed our healthcare systemâ€

Hyperbole much?

Old 08-17-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Nice rant of standard liberal bromides, but it has nothing to do with what I posted.

Insulin is artificially more expensive in the US than anywhere else SPECIFICALLY because government meddling protects the Sanofi near-monopoly, and Sanofi rewards our federal politicians well for that protection.

Instead of using bureaucratic loopholes to stifle competition, as we currently do, th government should remove itself from the insulin business and let competition do what it does best - lower prices and move capital/goods/resources to where they are used most efficiently.
Pretty much all medicine is more expensive in the US... Tell me which puppets of Wall Street you have voted for in Congressional elections in the past. Your agenda is the agenda of the Koch brothers and similar right wing nuts who dupe people into believing extreme inequality and oligarchy is good for progress, competition and social mobility.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Most middle class pay taxes but they probably use more services than they pay for. This is the whole point of pooling resources.

Calling it "slavery" means you don't understand the purpose of society. It's not slavery because we're not holding you against your will. You can leave.
Why do you believe so? Are you aware that the US State Dept can deny a request for the renunciation of US citizenship, specifically if they believe one is doing so to avoid having to pay taxes? And are you also aware that the US is the only country besides Eritrea that taxes its citizens' foreign-earned income regardless of wherever in the world that citizen permanently resides?

Quote:
You're not entitled to take the benefits from society (work at the jobs created for you, drive on our roads) if you don't want to contribute according to the rules.
If only that applied to EVERYONE. But we all know it doesn't.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:19 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Pretty much all medicine is more expensive in the US... Tell me which puppets of Wall Street you have voted for in Congressional elections in the past. Your agenda is the agenda of the Koch brothers and similar right wing nuts who dupe people into believing extreme inequality and oligarchy is good for progress, competition and social mobility.
I am a small "L" libertarian and I never vote for Republicans or Democrats, as both are equally duplicitous about their cronyism, graft, racketeering and protection rackets.

And again, your misguided rant of liberals creed does not address the point that insulin in the US is expensive specifically due to government meddling in that market. I would prefer it if 50 companies made insulin and the government kept their intrusive snouts out of the business altogether. If that was the case, insulin would be as cheap as generic aspirin.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
We only have to look at the suffering of so many vets, including the homeless, to understand that so-called "patriotic right wingers" really just use the vets to virtue signal.
Not really. Some of the vets are much like some of the homeless in that they don't want any help, regardless of clear evidence that they need it.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not really. Some of the vets are much like some of the homeless in that they don't want any help, regardless of clear evidence that they need it.
Thats just excuses you make for yourself because you know your "charity" is a drop in the bucket compared to the budgets for the veterans. Just another hypocrite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies