Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2018, 09:31 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,916,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Haven't you been reading this thread? Many on here want it for free. They want others to pay for them. That's why we can't have those generous government-provided services here. Too many Americans think they shouldn't have to pay.

For example, 45% of our country's income tax filers pay no federal income tax at all, but still get government-provided services. 27% of them pay no social security or Medicare (health care for age 65+) tax, either, due to refundable tax credits. How are we supposed to fund health care for 325 million people when only about 78 million pay $5 or more in federal income tax? Yes, that's 5 dollars.

Why do people say that when it's true in only some cases? Can't anyone think outside of the box? I retired early, closed my business, and laid off my employees because I was sick and tired of always being reamed for high taxes while so many fools on here think they shouldn't have to contribute. F--- it! I went Galt. I self-insure for most health care expenses and buy a catastrophic policy through a professional organization.

Anyway, if I was still working, health insurance would be included in any compensation package I negotiated for myself. Agreeing to the terms of compensation isn't slavery.
Sounds like you're one of those who cant take personal responsibility and claim "Obama caused my business to fail with his high taxes and regulations"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 09:31 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,824,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
You've proven that you dont, as proven by your irrational rage against the diabetics. And no country fund their health care systems simply through a VAT tax. We already pay more in taxes to fund our current health care system than other countries pay for their entire national health care system. A combination of a small payroll tax to replace the insurance based system and a federal sales tax can easily pay for the same here.
If we already pay more in taxes why do we need new taxes?

Old 08-18-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If we already pay more in taxes why do we need new taxes?
Because the taxes we pay now go to private providers mostly, like private health insurance for government workers, private providers of Medicare, Medicaid etc, private pharma costs etc.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:42 AM

88,697 posts, read 44,470,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
You don't seem to understand: a single-payer plan saves you and I money.
It will not save me money when I'm taxed through the nose for it. I'm sick and tired of WAY overpaying my fair share.

If Americans want single-payer health care, implement a 25% national VAT tax.
Quote:
You also misunderstand how government works. We have a process created by the Framers to make these decisions about what we provide for the general welfare.
That's where you're mistaken. The US has a Constitutional mandate to provide for a national defense. It is required to only promote the general welfare

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare..."

Old 08-18-2018, 09:43 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,824,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Because the taxes we pay now go to private providers mostly, like private health insurance for government workers, private providers of Medicare, Medicaid etc, private pharma costs etc.
So it won’t be no cheaper

Old 08-18-2018, 09:44 AM

58,690 posts, read 26,969,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
But it you want to pay LESS or it, you can live in Europe, Israel, Canada and many many other places - most of which have booming pharma industries and therefore have the same costs!

Good one!

And, speaking of Fake News, where did you get 7 years...sources I looked at said almost 3X that....

"The patent protection for a brand-name drug is usually 20 years from the date of submission of the patent. Not all brand-name drugs have a generic counterpart."

So, let's summarize. You are wrong. You are wrong......is it do difficult to make a valid point without BS?

BEFORE you attack someone do SOME research.

". How long is a patent term?
Patent terms are set by statute. Currently, the term of a new patent is 20 years from the date on which the application for the patent was filed in the United States. Many other factors can affect the duration of a patent.Back to Top
3. How long does an exclusivity period last?
It depends on what type of exclusivity is at issue.
  • Orphan Drug Exclusivity (ODE) – 7 years
  • New Chemical Entity Exclusivity (NCE) – 5 years
  • Generating Antibiotic Incentives Now (GAIN) Exclusivity– 5 years added to certain exclusivities
  • New Clinical Investigation Exclusivity – 3 years
  • Pediatric Exclusivity (PED) – 6 months added to existing Patents/Exclusivity
  • Patent Challenge (PC) – 180 days (this exclusivity is for ANDAs only)
  • Competitive Generic Therapy (CGT) - 180 days (this exclusivity is for ANDAs only)
See 21 C.F.R. 314.108, 316.31, 316.34 and sections 505A, 505E, 505(j)(5)(B)(iv), and Section 505(j)(5)(B)(v) of the FD&C Act."

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/developmen...longpatentterm

"is it do difficult to make a valid point without BS?" How does that crow taste?

Old 08-18-2018, 09:44 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,549,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Friendly advice...stop wasting your key strokes on me...I literally never read one word of what you write.
There is something strange about replying to someone whose posts you claim you never read. I can't quite put my finger on what it might be, but I think it was brought to us by the letter "I."

Old 08-18-2018, 09:46 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,549,739 times
Quote:
Perhaps not, but it likely won't be no more expensive, neither.

Where is Captain Picard? I need a good facepalm.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Of course it will because people no longer have to pay thousands upon thousands of dollars in private costs. If the employer pays $20 000 a year in health care costs for an employee, thats $20 000 less in wages for that employee. Single payer is cheaper, better and covers everyone. Its a no brainer. Thats why every single developed country has a national health care system that covers everyone.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:51 AM

88,697 posts, read 44,470,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
You're a fan of externalities, are you? Let's imagine for a second we turn the USA into the Galt's Gulch about which you fantasize and all government but Randian minimalism remains in our state. When those millions of people without insurance get sick or injured, whom do you think will pay for their care? Whom do you think pays for their care, right now?
They should pay, appeal to a charity/donor, or do without. Did they not plan for such a mishap? Isn't it responsible to do so? How is it my burden to pay for others' irresponsibility and bad choices? If you rob a bank, am I the one who has to go to prison for it? If you OD on drugs, am I the one who dies?

You're just like so many others, always want someone else to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies