Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did the police act appropriately?
Yes 23 20.54%
No 89 79.46%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 03:41 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why would anyone need a knife to pick dandelions?
LOL. That's a great question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You pick the "greens". Not the yellow part you see but the green part at the ground. She would dig it out of the ground with her knife.
Why would she need to dig it out of the ground when she can just pluck the green leaves at ground level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 04:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
LOL. That's a great question!

Why would she need to dig it out of the ground when she can just pluck the green leaves at ground level?
If you've never removed a plant by it's roots, I'd suggest you try it.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:27 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Why would anyone need a knife to pick dandelions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Neither of you know much about eating dandelion greens, do you? Or care to look it up?

Old 08-17-2018, 07:43 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I'm not sure if this has occurred to anyone else, but it sounds to me as if the original caller may have been concerned about the woman herself, fearing that she was lost and disoriented. They did say she was not threatening anyone, IIRC.
That's exactly the way I interpreted it. The caller obviously wasn't concerned about the woman being a threat.

This is far from a funny situation, but I have to say, the comments under that article are golden.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:46 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
  • 87 years old
  • using a knife to cut flowers
  • Having trouble walking
  • not able to understand English
  • smiling
A real threat. If cops were so concerned that she was "charging" them with her knife, they could have taken a step backwards and been out of harm's way.

This is simply another case of cowards and/or sadists with badges.

""That was the whole goal, to try to avoid using any type of force, but if we have to use force, use the minimum force," he said. "No one wants to tase anyone, much less an 87-year-old woman.

"But then again what do we do? Do we try to go hands-on? She could have been hurt just as easily, or even fell on the knife itself," he said. "Lord help us if she had tried to stop the officer and held the knife in an aggressive manner, and then deadly force would have been used.""

So, this genius police chief thinks that when someone is tased, and they have a knife in their hands, there is no chance they will fall on that knife.
Well, according to the cop he couldn't take a step back because he could have fallen and accidentally shot her. Yep, he actually said that. What a stupid, pathetic excuse. Probably worse that what a three-year-old could have come up with.

I'd also like to add... there is a steak knife in the ground in my back yard that I use for weeding. It is absolutely the best tool for gardening. Way better than those dumb forked things that are supposed to be for getting roots out of the ground.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:00 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
I guess it helps when everyone speaks at least some English. Perhaps if there were not a language barrier in this case the woman might have just put the knife down.
As noted in the article, she did speak English well enough to pass a citizenship test 17 years ago. But now she's 87, and possibly going deaf and/or senile.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Really. He followed protocol. Maybe they should rewrite protocol.
You need two things: good protocols, and people with basic common sense and human decency. The latter is probably more important.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Again, this NEVER would’ve happened in any other civilized nation.

And your ass should be ashamed that it happened here.

You folks are effin pathetic.
You may be right. It is inconceivable here in Japan at least. Even in a situation where an elderly person was acting crazy and threatening people, police would be gentle. They would follow the person around and keep them from hurting anyone while trying to talk them down. Failing that, when back-up had arrived, they would surround the person. Cops in the front would distract them while those to the side and back disarmed them harmlessly.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:24 AM

225 posts, read 150,235 times
These officers get paid well to make sensible decisions and protect citizens. These jokers who attack a harmless old lady should get discharged at once. I have zero understanding for such a clown-show. Voted 'no'!

Old 08-18-2018, 05:05 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Lightbulb Police Tase 87-Year-Old Woman Cutting Dandelions

So, three cops take on an 87 y.o. woman cutting dandelions and resort to unholstering pistols and then tasing her.

"She was armed! She was a threat!"

That cop shop needs to review their hiring practices.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies