Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 01:40 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,881 times

Advertisements

[quote=TNLove;216232]Why? You do know this country was 90% White until the 1970s. There are more "Black" countries in the world than White ones. Why is it wrong for us to want to maintain the country?
How about this -- you show me a successful Black country and we'll discuss this some more (and don't name South Africa -- it wasn't until 1994, has a sizable White minority, and now leads the world in every facet of violence, murder and rape).
QUOTE]

TNLove I ain't feeling the Southern Comfort. This statement is appalling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2006, 02:19 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Thanks for this post, deeptrance, it is well reasoned and perhaps helpful to see how some of people's prejudices can get the better of them. I elected to put some people on "ignore" because occasionally my blood boils over at the insistence that might is right and that a forceful answer will be accepted. It reminds me of some in our present administration. No names!

While I don't think an African American can get elected in '08, I am so pleased that an African American is on the table for consideration. What I am not happy with is reading on the board the amount of venom, hatred and dislike people have for one another.

I was raised in the East, a very diverse world, with prejudices, yes, but tempered by the overwhelming differences and commonality we all shared. Not only is it diverse, it is a place I often felt I could discuss, without rancor, differences, and only occasionally get egg in my face. The amount of sheer spleen expressed in the politics forum actually frightens me and I have avoided interjecting my opinion in several discussions--not so much as I couldn't handle a debate, but that I will be saddened by the responses.

So thank you for a measured response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
You wrote that in response to my comment that it's tragic that 17% of Americans would not be OK with having a Black president.

Your response has nothing to do with my comments. I admire your bravery for speaking your mind here and hope you can maintain some dignity in your responses so that you don't get your posts deleted.

I agree that we have a national identity, but the fact is that our identity is multicultural. Africans didn't invade the USA, we forced them here during the greatest atrocity our nation has ever committed. The fact that there are now qualified Black candidates for president is a testament to what is great about our nation. The fact that some people still can't handle the idea of being led by someone whose skin is a different color is pure ignorance and hate. Can you explain why a 4th-generation descendant of slaves is any less "American" than a 4th-generation descendant of Germans?

Your responses expose you as a bigot. Post an intelligent response. Skin color has nothing to do with the American culture. Higher percentages of Blacks serve in our military and attend Christian churches compared to Whites. Perhaps it is Euro-Americans who are less American than Afro-Americans...?

You also make the gross mistake of assuming a Black person cannot be president because of race, based on the fact that Africa is a mess. Can you explain why White people are qualified to be president when we produce the likes of Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer? You cannot say anything about an individual based on the group they belong to, although your apparent membership in the KKK at least tells me you're racist and probably unable to listen to any argument that doesn't end with a "White Power" salute.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:18 PM

110 posts, read 394,811 times
ontheroad, I think you are wrong to assume anyone with a different opinion than yours is a heel clicking nazi.

To the poster who asked, "what is white culture?", well it depends. While anything European is pretty much considered white.
Poland, England, Ireland, Germany, and on and on. Each of these countries has its own culture. Many immigrtated to America, and over the years much combined and is the American culture.

So is democracy, baseball, motor vehicles, the ability to use electricity, etc, considered white culture?

Is rap, peanut butter, the stop light, considered black?

For me, I never use the term African - American. Its silly. Not every black is from Africa, there are whites who have lived in Africa for generations.

Look at the current population shifts over the recent decades. The population is moving to the Western Civilization, ( ie European, white ) away from third world countries ( ie Africa, Middle East, Latin Americas )

Ever heard of news from Zimbabwe or South Africa. Government seizure of white owned farms and businesses and giving them to blacks? Violence of racist mobs against the minority white population? Google this and see what comes up. Unreported news.

Remember the outrage though over the apartheid in South Africa, and now the mess in the Darfur region of Sudan?

Seems a little unbalanced to me.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:25 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
I don't recall saying that or implying it. And take more offense at your remark than others on this board. I think you should check yourself out, rather than accuse me of making this statement below:

And you proved my point: I am saddened by this forum. And far from ignorant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctarheel View Post
ontheroad, I think you are wrong to assume anyone with a different opinion than yours is a heel clicking nazi.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:37 AM

944 posts, read 3,954,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
...thank you for a measured response.
Now that I see what I wrote, I wish I had been MORE measured. I'm not happy about calling him an "apparent KKK" member. It is possible for a very ethical, decent person to hold his views, as much as I might personally be offended by them.

Thanks for all your kinds words!

Old 12-27-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctarheel View Post
Ever heard of news from Zimbabwe or South Africa. Government seizure of white owned farms and businesses and giving them to blacks? Violence of racist mobs against the minority white population? Google this and see what comes up. Unreported news.

Remember the outrage though over the apartheid in South Africa, and now the mess in the Darfur region of Sudan?

Seems a little unbalanced to me.
I agree. What I don't agree with is the assumption that there is something inferior about Africans based on what we see in the news. History is complex and change happens slowly. Remember that the entire continent of Africa was subjected to colonial rule, had their native cultures partially destroyed, then had a new concept, the "nation-state", imposed on them with the drawing of artificial political boundaries that make no sense in terms of the historical and cultural context of those regions.

It is the same thing we see in Iraq. Much of the violence and strife in today's world is a repercussion from the centuries of European and American imperialism that destabilized previously peaceful cultures. In other cases, our imperialism has helped to stop centuries of violence between warring cultures. It's not as simple as one culture being better than another. We have to look at it all in context.

I do agree with you that it's especially offensive to see more space in our media dedicated to accusations of some American company being racist because someone didn't get a promotion, vs. the lack of coverage of millions of darker-skinned Africans being subjected to slavery and genocide at the hands of Arabs. I'm not sure why we're so blind to this ongoing atrocity. When I've mentioned it in other forums, I've been accused of hating Arabs. This is ridiculous --- I've LIVED with Arabs and have never had a bad experience of any of my Arab friends. But we cannot ignore what their rogue factions are doing to destabilize global politics through war, genocide and terrorism.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
I'm just starting this thread to call people's attention to a VERY well-done special (or series) on racism in the USA today.

It's surprising, disappointing, encouraging, all kinds of things. But one thing you will take away from it is that racism is still a BIG problem in this nation, as it is all around the world. It's not unique to the USA of course (I would argue that the USA is probably among the LEAST racist nations on earth) but we have to deal with who we are where we are. And we're still a racially divided nation.

Watch this special if you get a chance. It's very fairly done and has many different stories with lots of viewpoints, and no matter what you feel about its overall bias or objectivity, you will learn something and you WILL be moved to FEEL something. And we all need that!

Shout out to all the people of City-Data, no matter what your ethnicity, gender, religion, nationality or race! Let us all work harder to be one nation with a common purpose, even as we preserve our own unique cultures to the extent we so choose. Freedom and respect for all!

Peace/Out!

Black folks ancestors were raped and ripped off by white folks ancestors,
who passed that filthy lucre down to white instituitions, which discriminate
against black men which leads to high crime. Americas top illness is depression, followed by obesity. America is subconciously grieving the "Black
Holocaust", which our textbooks say never happened. America is fighting the wrong enemy.........poverty which stems from racism creates biological
warfare in which Americans kill Americans through the spread of new viruses
such as Super TB, which can stay in an empty room up to an hour infecting
the lungs of anyone who enters. Imagine a simple sneeze or cough,
being linked to white privellege? Yes and our prescription for white guilt (the
leading cause for American depression) is the omission of the truth of "THE
BLACK HOLOCAUST", which describes the 90 million or more Africans killed
and thrown overboard from slaveships during the middle passage, from the
textbooks of white children, so they won't have anything to feel guilty about
as they grow up spending that filthy lucre blood money. I applaud Paula Zahn
as she attempts to deal with the issue, but she is too naive to see the points I bring up here. Reparations for blacks should've been the topic.
America will either empower blacks or die of diseases associated with poverty. I'm wating to see if they blame it on terrorism, when they know
the poor are incubating desases without even knowing it. Paula.......womens
vagina's are being used as incubators for the mutation of horrific sexually transmitted diseases, as we try to tell women who wear religious head
coverings THEY are inappropriately dressed?
The Black Man has spoken......take heed White America!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-28-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert Stone View Post
I applaud Paula Zahn as she attempts to deal with the issue, but she is too naive to see the points I bring up here. Reparations for blacks should've been the topic.
Yes, our history books are badly written and don't teach enough about our national holocaust, but your rant about breeding diseases sounds like it came from cable access shows run by lunatics who see conspiracies behind everything that happens in life. Sometimes sh*t just happens and it's not anyone's fault. There was no conspiracy by the White Man to make an asteroid wipe out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago. It just happened and it will happen again and the next time it happens it won't be the "white man's" fault either.

About reparations --- how will this heal anything, and who do you define as "black" these days? Many dark-skinned people in America had no ancestors who were slaves. Many white people do have ancestors who were slaves in other times. Most people are mutts. Do you want to perform genetic tests for racial purity and give money to people based on how "black" they are? Who are you to decide? And how will this heal anything?

If you want to make a positive difference in black America, then support equality of opportunity by starting with the schools and funding for children's health and education. Handing people money and land has never solved a problem in history. Can you name a single example from history where reparations healed anything? And where is the justice? I'm disabled, white, deep in debt, and Oprah owns the 50 acre estate in Montecito where my 85 year old mother used to play when she was a teenage girl. You want to take money from me that I don't have and give it to Oprah? I suppose you think my disabilities are caused by slavery. LOL, I love that, it's so insane that it's entertaining!

Your post shows a lot of hate and rage and it won't solve any problems, especially not yours because your main problem is your fixation on blaming others for your current problems.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:30 AM

454 posts, read 905,878 times
Quote:
Black folks ancestors were raped and ripped off by white folks ancestors,
who passed that filthy lucre down to white instituitions, which discriminate
against black men which leads to high crime. Americas top illness is depression, followed by obesity. America is subconciously grieving the "Black
Holocaust", which our textbooks say never happened. America is fighting the wrong enemy.........poverty which stems from racism creates biological
warfare in which Americans kill Americans through the spread of new viruses
such as Super TB, which can stay in an empty room up to an hour infecting
the lungs of anyone who enters. Imagine a simple sneeze or cough,
being linked to white privellege? Yes and our prescription for white guilt (the
leading cause for American depression) is the omission of the truth of "THE
BLACK HOLOCAUST", which describes the 90 million or more Africans killed
and thrown overboard from slaveships during the middle passage, from the
textbooks of white children, so they won't have anything to feel guilty about
as they grow up spending that filthy lucre blood money. I applaud Paula Zahn
as she attempts to deal with the issue, but she is too naive to see the points I bring up here. Reparations for blacks should've been the topic.
America will either empower blacks or die of diseases associated with poverty. I'm wating to see if they blame it on terrorism, when they know
vagina's are being used as incubators for the mutation of horrific sexually transmitted diseases, as we try to tell women who wear religious head
Herbert....

White man has read what black man has spoken.

I will say this to you, just like I would say to a white bigot, or a bigot of any color. Please get help. Professional help may assist in dealing with whatever your mental or emotional issues are.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:28 PM

211 posts, read 290,457 times
Quote:
...is the omission of the truth of "THE BLACK HOLOCAUST", which describes the 90 million or more Africans killed
and thrown overboard from slaveships during the middle passage,
90 million? You're making things up. No more than 11 million slaves came to the Americas. Only 500,000 to North America -- the majority to Brazil and then the Spanish colonies.

Quote:
Reparations for blacks should've been the topic.
Blacks in America have it better than _ANYWHERE_ in Africa. White slave traders BOUGHT slaves by West Africans who sold each other into slavery.

The Arab slave trade was before the Whites bought West Africans and they enslaved both Whites, Blacks, whoever. Furthermore -- Slavery still EXISTS in Africa.

Reparations for Blacks in America is a joke. A very small percentage of slaves came to the United States compared to other colonies in the Americas.

Reparations is a joke when you realize all the senseless violent crime, welfare spending, and all kinds of other social ills we are forced to deal with. Not to mention the living standard of living in a "White" (well, formally) nation is much better than ANYWHERE, in an African country. ANYWHERE.

Quote:
Huh?

Quote:
If you are representative of the average Black man, both White and Black America are in a lot of trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies