Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2018, 10:09 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The real cost is the impact the church has on the secular world, laws, Govt policy, etc.

We are not that far off from the days of burning suspected witches on the stake.
Which laws. Which policies?

What about all the charities run by the church? I often hear people say we should do away with welfare/food stamps and that those services should be provided by charities. Churches, IME, provide a variety of food pantries, daily meals, temporary housing, visits to the elderly and veterans, provide clothing, furniture, etc. to the needy, help them with unemployment, run addiction counseling, as well as marriage counseling, provide day care and youth programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 10:10 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Churches that do stuff like this should definitely be taxed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2emBxDOY7g

Old 08-17-2018, 10:11 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
OP is anti-Christian who singles out churches only, yet forgets to mention about synagogues, mosques, temples and other non-profit organizations.

Churches are number one charity organization... if you start taxing they will not be able to provide all assistant to the needy which you seem to not care and very selfish

You can cut foreign aid and military spending if you want to save money
I read church as a facility dedicated to any religion, not just one specific one. If you gather to talk to your imaginary sky friend there, it's a church.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Which laws. Which policies?

What about all the charities run by the church? I often hear people say we should do away with welfare/food stamps and that those services should be provided by charities. Churches, IME, provide a variety of food pantries, daily meals, temporary housing, visits to the elderly and veterans, provide clothing, furniture, etc. to the needy, help them with unemployment, run addiction counseling, as well as marriage counseling, provide day care and youth programs.
All those things are provided by secular agencies as well. The only benefit is that the local food bank doesn't make you listen to a sermon first like the Salvation Army.

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Or we could have let things fall apart until people were camped under bridges and along RR tracks.

Remember Hoover?
The FDIC took care of that. The problem in the past was the money was just gone. That wasn't the case this time.

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I always wonder why people spouting this anarcho-capitialist nonsense don't just move to outer Mongolia where they can live their dream instead of staying in America and being burdened with things like infrastructure, the rule of law, and an educated society. Most of Papua New Guinea has extremely limited contact with any governmental entity and with luck, one can be part of the 19% of residents that has a toilet instead of a ditch near the only water source to crap in.
In short, because they simply don't know better and/or they are the typical finger pointers, needing explanation for their own personal problems.

"My business failed because of taxes!" Right. Have another look at your competitors still in business and think again...

I was never happier or making more money as when I was paying the highest levels of taxes possible. Also glad to have a public school system to educate my children while I was working, a military to keep America's enemies at bay, social programs to help kids from begging on the streets, just for starters...

Old 08-17-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Or we could have let things fall apart until people were camped under bridges and along RR tracks.

Remember Hoover?
Clearly you haven't been in any city of size lately.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:17 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Churches that do stuff like this should definitely be taxed.
I'm a Christian. That guy seems to not understand that God is the God of "Liberals" also. The Bible warns him about speaking unjustly about his neighbor.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:20 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
You probably think the Church wields too much political power as it is now right?

if you remove the tax exempt status you would also remove the laws the limit their ability to influence politics directly. Do you really want the Vatican for example sending lobbyist directly into Washington?
Are you suggesting the major religions in America don't influence our political system as much as any other influence? If not more?

Unfortunately, religion still exercises far too much political sway in American politics, but this too is waning. Too slowly but the hold of that influence is slipping. Much in the way of religion requires we all have patience with the present generation and hope toward the next.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:20 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
In short, because they simply don't know better and/or they are the typical finger pointers, needing explanation for their own personal problems.

"My business failed because of taxes!" Right. Have another look at your competitors still in business and think again...

I was never happier or making more money as when I was paying the highest levels of taxes possible. Also glad to have a public school system to educate my children while I was working, a military to keep America's enemies at bay, social programs to help kids from begging on the streets, just for starters...
You're referring to the ungrateful "rugged" <cough, cough> individual who stands on the shoulders of those who built our infrastructure, structured the judiciary, created modern technology, etc. with the government's help while complaining that "taxes are theft". Yes, there are many on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies