Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 01:30 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times

Advertisements

I went to an all girls Catholic high school. There was a chaplain whom we all loved.

We found out years later that he'd been molesting boys in another school, so the diocese moved him to an all girls school since he wasn't attracted to girls and wouldn't rape anyone. Nice, right?

I moved away from the Catholic church in my early adulthood. The way they have enabled the abuse of children is a big part of it.

Homosexuality isn't the problem. Pedophiles of both genders are the problem.

I believe that priests should be able to marry. I also think men and women should be ordained.

I was married and had my son baptized in the Episcopal church and have met some wonderful, devoted priests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 04:10 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Pope Francis has responded to new reports of clerical sexual abuse and the ecclesial cover-up of abuse. In an impassioned letter addressed to the whole People of God, he calls on the Church to be close to victims in solidarity, and to join in acts of prayer and fasting in penance for such "atrocities".

https://www.vaticannews.va/en/pope/n...ual-abuse.html

Old 08-20-2018, 04:18 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times
The OP is a poster boy as to why churches are dying.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:21 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Then how do you explain the same thing going on in protestant churches where there is no demand that clergy be celibate and are allowed to marry?

There is a streak of denial in Protestant churches as wide as the River Jordan. They think it can’t happen in their churches. But it does and with alarming regularity.

These 24 Pastors Were All Arrested for Sex Crimes against Children and the Disabled in One Month! (images), American Against the Tea Partyi, July 2, 2015
I do agree that it happens in other churches. Any pedo is going to be attracted to jobs that put them in the vicinity of young children.

But the RCC - it just seems like pedophilia has been institutionalized.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:22 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
homosexuals who prey on children have ruined the Church.
It’s the moral corruption that surrounds them.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:08 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
This is really quite embarrassingly simple.

Whenever people are put in positions of leadership and trust, a non-zero percentage will try to abuse it in different ways. Some will enrich themselves, some will merely revel in power for power's sake, some will try to use their power for sexual gratification. This happens. The offenders may be sergeants or teachers or coaches or managers or police officers or priests. Organizations with a power structure have a responsibility to prevent, uncover and, if crimes have been committed, report.

The failure of the Church, cardinal, isn't that you let in in homosexuals. Hundreds of thousands of those around that wouldn't dream of laying a hand of anyone against their will.

The failure is that you let in those who would abuse their power, and that's a moral failing that is not isolated to homosexuals.

And the much bigger failure - the betrayal - is that you carefully, painstakingly, protected the abusers. As an organization, you put the Church's reputation ahead of the suffering and shame of children and teen-agers.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:11 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
People should not get on their high horse about the Catholic Church, this probably happens more in other churches since there is no way of reporting it and the molesters can just move on to molest again and again.
So a church that knowingly hides crimes is less sinful than a church that fails to uncover crimes, am I getting this right?

Old 08-20-2018, 06:39 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I do agree that it happens in other churches. Any pedo is going to be attracted to jobs that put them in the vicinity of young children.

But the RCC - it just seems like pedophilia has been institutionalized.
Absolutely agree with you.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:41 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Pope Francis has responded to new reports of clerical sexual abuse and the ecclesial cover-up of abuse. In an impassioned letter addressed to the whole People of God, he calls on the Church to be close to victims in solidarity, and to join in acts of prayer and fasting in penance for such "atrocities".

https://www.vaticannews.va/en/pope/n...ual-abuse.html
How the hell is prayer and fasting going to help?

Old 08-20-2018, 09:58 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Only people should have religious freedom. Churches, mosques, synagogs and the like should be subject to tax and regulation just like everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies